Suspension, Handling, and Brakes Talk about Struts/springs, coilovers, anti-swaybars, strut bars, steering, Pads, fluid, lines, rotors, calipers, boosters, and anything that is brake and suspension related.

what pads would you use with this set up?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 10:14 AM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
what pads/ brake project snow-balling!!

Tax seasion was good to me!
I have on order;
- wrx calaper relocation bracket for the front
- H6 calaper relocation bracket for the rear
- Goodridge Steel Braided Brake Lines
I cut a deal with an online vendor to get a mixed match set of SR cross drilled rotors.
I plan to go get some high temp break fluid.

My question is, what pads would you guys use. I dont know too much about them. I am looking for a pad that will last a while, not chew up my rotors, and have low dust.
So far I have read a great review on EBC red stuff pads. EBC is apparetnly under new manigment so the they are trying to turn around there reputation.
Also hawk is a name that keeps comming up.

Last edited by cudaeh; 05-16-2006 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by cudaeh
I am looking for a pad that will last a while, not chew up my rotors, and have low dust.
^^^^Oem pads or Axxis Deluxe Plus.

I have the deluxe plus pads and they feel about the same as oem. I have them with blank rotors, oem lines and synthetic fluid. I dont track or autox so they work fine. I wouldnt recomend them at all for LOTS of hard braking, but for daily driving they are great.

I wish I had something a bit more aggresive, my next pads will most likely be the hawk hps, but damn they are expensive.
Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05 toyota tacoma
carbotech?

http://www.carbotecheng.com/appguide-pads-subaru.htm
Old 04-18-2006, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by mrruins
do you have expearence with this company?
It seems from there litrature on line I should go with there Super Street-F pad.
" on a daily driver weighing under 3000lb with disc brakes in the front and the rear that is occasionally used for auto-cross and light lapping days, we would recommend our Super Street-F compound, which has a temperature range of 75F-800F, solid initial bite, excellent modulation, is extremely rotor friendly, and has a very low dust and noise level."
Thats exactly what I am looking for.

Good info on the 'bedding process'.

man, they seem to be down on the whole braded stinless lines.
Luckley I have read all there arguments before and still want a ferm pettal and dont mind inspecting them with every oil change.

To give you a better idea of my applacation;
I am currently piecing together a turbo kit for my RS that I use as a daily driver that I plan on, one day, using to auto-X and rally-X. (same goal as just about every one). I am currently upgrading all the systems that the turbo kit will put more of a load on, as the stock componets wear out that is.

right now I am looking for pads that will not chew up the after market rotors, not deposit too much brake dust, and at the same time last quite a while under daily driving conditions. All that is fine and good except when you consider how I typically drive. I dont drive poorly, or put others in danger, but there are those mornings when I have the street to my self and I push the car hard.

just let me know if any of you have pads that you like or copanys that have treated you right in the past. I always feel that good survice should be heavily rewarded.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:24 AM

I made my decision.
I was torn between ebc red stuffs or hawk hps pads but it wasnt untill I talked to jamie , the internet maniger at www.SubaruGenuineParts.com , that I made my decision.
I went ahead and ordered a full set of EBC Red stuff pads.
She has installed them on her rally car and run them *hot by the way!*
And
She has also installed them on her gc8 and had nothing but good things to say about them.
I put in an order to summit racing and got them in 2 days!!
$175 down the drain but I hope they work as well as she told me.
They do look darn spiffy though!!
Old 05-06-2006, 08:18 AM

Car Info: IMPREZZA 03
yes i also like the HAWK HPS
Old 05-16-2006, 10:03 PM

Ok it has officially gotten out of control!!
I am going tomorrow to pick up the used oven for $75.
Oven you say ???
Yes the oven to bake the powder coat.
Powder coat ???
Why yes, to powder coat the caliper bodies ,caliper brackets, rotor centers, and the master cylinder brace I made.

Wait, don’t you have to strip the caliper of the rubber bits to do that???
Right you are, thus why I ordered the caliper rebuild kits and the e-brake shoes from www.subarugenuineparts.com. But its ok because the red powder coat will look great contrasting the Por15 I picked up for the wheel barring carriers.

This is truly insane, even by my standards!!
But all the stuff is almost in one place at one time. All I need now is to get the oven home, some media for my sand blaster, new bleeders, and some brake fluid and I can finally install it!!
I cant wait, its been waaaaay to long in the works.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:06 PM

Well the powder coating is getting done and I am just looking for a fiew days to install it all.
I am very pleased with how things are turning out. I so far have done 2 coats on the rotors and one coat on the brackets and have only used 3/4 of a pound of powder.

BTW those self adheasive dots are great for masking of threads that arnt too visible!

Masking isnt as clean as I hoped on the rotors but a little bit of brake dust and no one will be the wiser.

The plan is to have it all done by mid next week. I gotta say, for such a snow ball off a project its been fun and I love the fact that I can powder coat this stuff my self!!
Old 06-25-2006, 09:32 PM

Ahhh, closure
Every thing went together fine, calipers were a ***** to assemble, and the e-brake shoe kit was a chore and a half to put on; but it all worked out.
The brakes don’t feel any different under normal driving conditions but when you lay into them hard you can definitely feel the improvement.
I notice some squeaking from the red stuffs and a bit of dusting but neither is that annoying, so its all good.
Here are some random pics.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 Impreza 2.5TS
Nice job on the powder coating. Everything looks great.
How does the new brake combonation feel?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by nhayden
Nice job on the powder coating. Everything looks great.
How does the new brake combonation feel?
Thank you, I think it turned out well too.
Feels like stock when braking normaly, but when you lean on them hard it feels like it stands on its nose!!
Its so hard to get used to stopping alot faster. You end up going around corners about 10mph.The set up definetly will allow you to brake later.
Well worth the $$ in my oppinion.
I havent played around in a wet parking lot yet so I cant comment on the brake bias.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:49 PM

Hey all.
I decided to go into the powder coating biz. If you like my work, or would like more pics of my work send me out an email or PM. Also if you have calipers or hangers laying about let me know, I always could use good cores.