When I turn off the car, the radio and the clock stays on, whats wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 07:56 PM

Car Info: Subaru?
Question When I turn off the car, the radio and the clock stays on, whats wrong?

Earlier tonight, after an hour long drive, i turned the car off and was surpised to see and hear that the radio and clock were still on. (even after the key came out of the ignition) I tried inserting the key and turning the car on and off a few times, but it didnt solve the problem. I also tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery, but that didnt help. Then, finally i took the car for a 1 minute drive and when i returned to turn the car off, the radio and clock turned off too.

Anyone know what could have caused this to happen? How are the radio and the clock linked? I do have a aftermarket kenwood deck, but its been in the car for more than a year and has not given me any problems. thanks in advance for any input or help.

PROBLEM SOLVED (then reoccured):
So today when i was driving, the radio and clock turn off by themselves. i think to myself, "oh crap, the red or yellow power wires must have disconnected." Then i take apart the radio to check the wiring, but everything seems intack. Well, it occurs to me to check the radio fuse. (DUH!!!) i find a burned out fuse and replaced it, problem solved. its still wierd that yesterday the radio would not turn off, i understand how a broken fuse can turn a radio off, but a broken fuse keeping a radio on is wierd.

The new fuse i put in blows within a day. this time however, when i put in yet another fuse, the radio and clock wont turn on, even with a clean fuse. so any ideas on what my problem is? everything had been working fine for more than a year, this sorta happened out of no where. also, lately my airbag warning light has stayed on while i drive, jw it this might have anything to do with it. please help, tia.

Last edited by WRXakaBooSTi; 01-29-2006 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Problem Solved.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:06 PM

Car Info: a car with 4 wheels
if your car still cover under factory, I think you better get it replace...it probably internal error.

alan'06
Old 01-27-2006, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mine'sRacingGDB
if your car still cover under factory, I think you better get it replace...it probably internal error.

alan'06
i am under warrenty still. jw if what the clock and radio have linked together. yeah and taking it down to the dealership is always time consuming.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 PM

Car Info: WRX STI 2006
mine stays on till I open they door. Did you open the door after you turned the car off??? If it stayed on then I would be worried....
Old 01-27-2006, 08:37 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

or a bad relay...
Old 01-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
turbo timer?

j/k

take it in and dont touch it so warranty wont be voided.

gino
Old 01-27-2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by gbmotorsports
turbo timer?

j/k

take it in and dont touch it so warranty wont be voided.

gino
just hope this isnt related to my aftermarket radio because i dont want the dealership to blame it on that. oh yeah, i plan on taking my car to you guys for a 30k service and up/dp install at the same time. how much do you guys charge for the necessary gaskets??

thanks
Old 01-28-2006, 12:59 AM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi
just hope this isnt related to my aftermarket radio because i dont want the dealership to blame it on that. oh yeah, i plan on taking my car to you guys for a 30k service and up/dp install at the same time. how much do you guys charge for the necessary gaskets??

thanks

i bet as soon as you mention your aftermarket radio, the dealer will blame it on that...
Old 01-28-2006, 07:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: I got a couple :)
Originally Posted by WRXakaBooSTi

thanks
If that is an after market radio install, then the dealer will deifintely give you grief 100%.

30K and up/dp :
I will discount you on any work,no worries,,, I can also check that radio thing for you if you do a Saturday appt. coz I am in all day on Saturdays.

PM me when you need it.

gino
Old 01-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Question

Sounds like a short in your wiring.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:46 AM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
well are a few simple questions:

a) Did you buy the appropriate wireing hireness for the head unit?

b) did you go cutting in to wires that you don't know what they do?

c) Did you have a shop install the deck?

If you answered yes to B or C you need to get a wiring diagram, or go back to the shop.

FYI - When you ask a technical question anywhere on the internet, or face to face it is best to disclose as much information as possible about the problem. Had we seen your dash it would have been obvious, but we didn't.

My guess is that you or some installer did the install for you, and since the radio stays on too, there was some bad wiring done between the clock and it. The RED wire to the clock is a constant power from the battery, black is ground,and IIRC, orange and white are for dimming the clock display when your headlights go on.