Show and Shine Show off your completed pride and joy here.

I want to paint my BBS wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:12 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
I want to paint my BBS wheels

what do you think gold or bronze?
Attached Thumbnails I want to paint my BBS wheels-img_0188.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
both are played out but if it's only those two choices i'd go with gold.
Old 10-19-2008, 08:42 PM

Car Info: 2007 cummins
leave em black
Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 PM

Car Info: murdered out 06 WRX, but now is gone
red !!!! or BLue!?!?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX CGM
you should buy a set of gold bbs and sell me those black ones
Old 10-21-2008, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
You will not get a convincing gold or bronze without a true powder coat; those are two of the most difficult colors to paint with, you will never get them even and they show all flaws in an obvious fashion. Acid-dip them to get the paint off them now, they have already been painted black, right?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:13 AM

Car Info: murdered out 06 WRX, but now is gone
be different. wWOw us
Old 10-21-2008, 08:11 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Green. for sure.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Car Info: 2001 Honda Oddysey
metallic purple
Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
i'd go with bronze
Old 10-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 2007 cummins
orange!
Old 10-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
actually you should go white. its a ***** to keep clean but it looks damn ****ing good.

What paint and what not are you goign to use by the way.

Not that you asked for any tips but this is what i did.

Materials:

Blue painters tape
3x5 index cards
200grit wet sanding sponge
duplicolor wheel prep spray 1 can is fine
duplicolor wheel paint. 4 cans they have all colors you could want.
dupliclor clearcoat 2 cans (this is a personal preferece i didnt use it) i will explain why below.
a big box to fit a tire inside of (unless you can spray in a shop or a garage) The LARGE size from uhaul will fit a 215 45 17 easy. get 4 so you can do all 4 at the same time
tackcloth for dust
some clean rags preferable lint free

All of this can be found at your local kragen

I am a perfectionist so beware.

Now you could take the tire off the wheel but when you go to put it back on you risk the chance of scratching it so i just leave them on.

Keep in mind you may want to have an extra set of wheels before you try this project becuase cure time is about 7 days for the paint and you wanna avoid driving on them til that time is up.

#1 wash the **** out of that wheel. i prefer dawn for this because it is really good at getting out all of the grease and what not. If you dont wash out all of the grease you will end up with fisheyes or little blisters and it will look like ****. Make sure you wash all of the wheel back and front and tire. make sure you pop out your center cap and clean in there

#2 take your wet sanding pad and go over all of the surfaces you intend to paint with it. you dont have to scrub super hard you just want a slightly rough surface so the paint has somethign to adhere to.

#3 wash the wheel again. dry after words VERY WELL

#4 now spray the duplicolor prep spray all over the rim and wipe down with a clean cloth. i used a diff rag for each wheel.

#5 after you make sure all of the moisture is off the wheel, best to let dry over night, line the outside of the rim with the index cards you purchased. over lap each card 1/2 inch.

NOW YOU ARE READY TO SPRAY.

I found it easiest to leave the wheel flat on the ground and spray at an angle. i tried to put it at a 45º angle but the index cards didnt stay in place

Make sure you pop out center cap. it looks much better if you spray this seperately. Also tape of tire stems with blue paint or you will end up with white tires stems which will look bad.

put the tires each in a box to keep dust and dirt from coming in contact. also it protect concrete and things from getting oversprayed.

#6 wipe down with your tack cloth to remove and dust or dirt that may have settles while it was drying. spray 2-3 light coats to give the medium coats something to stick too. leave for 30 mins between each coat. Remember its better to do a lot of smaller coats than a couple big ones to prevent dripping.

#7 now i did 3 medium wet coats. make sure you let off of the cap after each sweep. dont keep a continuous spray or you will end up with drips. leave 1 hour in between remember you can always add another coat but dont let it drip or you gotta strip it all off and start over.

#8 (optional) Now is when you can decide whether to put on a clear coats. yes the glossy rim would look good but keep this in mind before you spray it. If you ever want to touch the tire up you will have to strip the whole tire and start over becuase you will never match up the 2 clear coats, where as if you dont clearcoat you can just pull the tire off clean it good, spray some of that prep spray on again and touch up the small area. If you do decide to clearcoat let the pain dry for an hour before applying

#9 now let the wheels dry for 24hours before you even think about handling them. I let my tires sit for 4 days. The curing time on the duplicolor paint is 7 days. after day 4 i put them back on my car and let them sit another 2 days. i had an alternative car to drive around while they were drying. be hella careful when you are putting the lugs back on and torquing them down

#10 stand back and look at yoru creation. Anyover spray that landed on the tire can be taken off with some water and a green scrubby. it should come off fairly easy. also the tire wet stuff took most of the over spray off.

Now if you are gonna put some tire wet on, for the first time i recommend getting a foam waxing spong, spraying the tire wet on that and hitting the tire with it versus just spraying. keep that tire as clean as you can. if you do darker colors its not such a big deal.

NOw with the duplicolor paint i have 2 tiny scrathes from rocks but other than that they have held up perfectly. If you do white like i did i keep a can of the duplicolor prep spray around when you wash the car and tires it helps get all of the grease and dirt off of the rims wihtou staining.

good luck.

*DISCLAIMER: IF ANYONE FOLLOWS THESE DIRECTIONS. IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT IF YOU **** IT UP. I AM JUST GIVING ADVICE. TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!*

Name:  DSCF1644.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  88.7 KB
Name:  DSCF1645.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  93.0 KB
Name:  DSCF1646.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  53.0 KB
Name:  DSCF1647.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  91.8 KB