Up Monday

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 04:16 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
So... Plasma is the next state past gas?

What kinda of plasma have humans been able to generate?
Plasma classification (types of plasma) - (The Plasma Universe Wikipedia-like Encyclopedia)
Old 04-18-2016, 04:23 PM
Where's Mah Reachin' Stick?

Car Info: On the right side
Originally Posted by rupees88
Fixed..

Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
Phases of material are descriptions of the of a material’s location in pressure-temperature space (think of a graph of pressure-temperature) wherein all physical properties are the same for that given region. Generally, as temperature increases, materials transition in phase from solid to liquid to gas as more and more energy, in this case thermal energy, is added. If you remove the energy from a system or material, the individual “particles” slow down until they eventual stop moving. At an atomic scale, the individual atoms or molecules align and bind to create a solid. As more energy is introduced to the system, what was previously a nice orderly lattice becomes fluidic as the particles start moving around. Our material is now a liquid. As even more energy in introduced, the individual particles move around faster and faster. The material still exhibits many of the same characteristics as the liquid only more energetic. Our material is now in a gaseous state. If we add even more energy, we start to then strip electrons off the atoms that compose our material and we now have a “soup” of highly-energetic charged particles (positively- AND negatively-charged particles since our atoms have deconstructed into nucleons and electrons)—plasma.
Previously, the particles in our material were net-neutral (equal part positive and negative charges) and were largely unaffected by electromagnetic forces. Now, since all we have are charged particles, plasma is very susceptible to electromagnetic forces. This is very apparent in the upper layers of the Sun where see large bands of plasma looping up and around as they get caught up in electromagnetic field lines.
While very uncommon on Earth, close to all (approximately 99%) of the observable universe is plasma. This is due to the fact that just about all of what we see in the universe beyond our planet is light from stars which is emitted from the plasma in the upper layers of our stellar neighbors.

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
Especially at this time of the day...
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
So... Plasma is the next state past gas?

What kinda of plasma have humans been able to generate?
If you want to think of them as a linear sequence of transitions, yes, but I won't muddy the conversation with "triple points" just yet.

Most low-Z (atomic number) elemental gases can become plasmas in a laboratory since they do not require a whole of energy (heat) to start ripping electrons off them.

Originally Posted by rupees88
Is there a 'baseline' of thermal energy that needs to be input in order to reach a 'Plasmatic' state, or does that depend on the object that is being manipulated?
It's not threshold like with with the other phases (at x-2 degrees it's a solid, at x degrees it's a liquid, at some y > x it's a gas). The very loose definition of plasma is an energetic gas that has a net non-neutral charge. At first principles, you can have a "plasma" as long at you have one unpaired charged particle (electron and/or ion).

Good question. I assumed that it would vary just like freezing points and boiling points do for various things. But if the plasma point is the same across the board... HMMMM...
The heavier and more complex an atom or molecule is, the more energy is required to start exceeding the "freedoms" of excitation to reach a plasma state.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 AM

Car Info: bugeye
Supercritical Fluid CO2 THC Extraction or Neon Lamp plasma; that is the question... well actually since what's known as supercritical can be related to the pressure vs temp graph while plasma cannot does this not distinguish something?

Next physics thought???
Let's treat the parking lot/buildings around La Fiesta as an electron cloud. Now if the softball (i.e. electron) is in a known location (my hand) but I then throw it with a presumed known momentum once it leaves my hand (no longer in know location but with known momentum) can we say with any certainty that it will reach the roof (i.e. a future known location) or once we pinpoint the momentum do we obtain uncertainty in location allowing the possibility that the thrown "electron" may in actuality be located in BevMo or the Wendy's drive-through the next time we pinpoint said location even if this appears to contradict what the momentum leaving my hand would imply about future location only a couple of seconds into the future?

Heisenberg comes knocking... but who can really say what door he will knock upon?
Eh, now I'm just blurring the lines between Breaking Bad and the Uncertainty Principle (or more accurately my VERY limited look into it)