Thursday thread.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 11:22 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Originally Posted by rupees88
Just giving you a hard time QQ. I'd personally go with the RAID 5 configuration if the data you have is uber important and can't be restored. Obviously you'd have the issue of more drives = more heat, however knowing that you can suffer a drive failure and be okay I think it'd be worth it.
I've been wanting to get a RAID going... I think I may just get another 3TB drive just so that I can get going again. It's about half the cost of an array even with 1TB drives.

The drive bays should be getting plenty of air though. I have good fans pulling and ****ty fans pushing. The good fans are technically radiator fans.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:24 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
pics or shens
Old 10-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
I've been wanting to get a RAID going... I think I may just get another 3TB drive just so that I can get going again. It's about half the cost of an array even with 1TB drives.

The drive bays should be getting plenty of air though. I have good fans pulling and ****ty fans pushing. The good fans are technically radiator fans.
What kind of PSU are you running? Yeah the 3TB will be the cheaper option out of the gate that's for sure. A nice middle ground in my opinion would be to go with the 3TB internal drive, and then get a NAS with however much storage you want and backup your system to that thing.

Right now I have a NAS at home that holds all my videos since it's a 2TB RAID 1 and I should probably upgrade to a bigger unit with more drives so I can backup my system to it.

#justsysadminthings
Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI

2 3tb drives in Mirror Raid.
Raid is fun. 2 SSD Raid 0 for OS 2 SSD raid 0 for "D" drive. and a bunch of Mechanical drives for media storage. I need to invest in some large mechanical drives to back up all of the movies and music i have spread across 5 TB's. data loss SUCKS and you bringing this up reminds me i need to get some new drives.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Raid is fun. 2 SSD Raid 0 for OS 2 SSD raid 0 for "D" drive. and a bunch of Mechanical drives for media storage. I need to invest in some large mechanical drives to back up all of the movies and music i have spread across 5 TB's. data loss SUCKS and you bringing this up reminds me i need to get some new drives.
RAID 10 or RAID 50 sounds like a nice safety net for that setup.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:53 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
pics or shens
Name:  5UYjNtRl.png
Views: 4
Size:  48.9 KB
Name:  nsrHhQdl.png
Views: 6
Size:  58.7 KB

****ty pics are ****ty, but you get the idea.

What kind of PSU are you running? Yeah the 3TB will be the cheaper option out of the gate that's for sure. A nice middle ground in my opinion would be to go with the 3TB internal drive, and then get a NAS with however much storage you want and backup your system to that thing.

Right now I have a NAS at home that holds all my videos since it's a 2TB RAID 1 and I should probably upgrade to a bigger unit with more drives so I can backup my system to it.

#justsysadminthings
Corsair AX1200 PSU. I kinda have enough power to run whatever I want.

I want my storage inside the computer...

3TB is just what I happen to have now... Ultimately I want a 4 3TB array for a 9TB black hole of storage.

Last edited by JourdanWithaU; 10-02-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:57 AM

#justsysadminthings
Nas boxes can get expensive. the 2 bay units are not so bad but when you step 4 bays it isn't so cheap. My last Nas box was around 900 new with only two drives but room for 2 more, Manufacturer requested it back after having it for close to two years. My good friend writes reviews for Maximum PC a few websites and another magazine and had given it to me to use/abuse/test and we both had thought they didn't want it back. Moving 4 TB's of movies and music back to the internal HDDs was SOOOOOO much fun!!
You can build your own nas box too. That might be my next step pick up an empty 4 bay nas and fill with drives.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:02 PM

Corsair AX1200 PSU. I kinda have enough power to run whatever I want.

I want my storage inside the computer...
False just put everything in the cloud.

Nas boxes can get expensive. the 2 bay units are not so bad but when you step 4 bays it isn't so cheap. My last Nas box was around 900 new with only two drives but room for 2 more, Manufacturer requested it back after having it for close to two years. My good friend writes reviews for Maximum PC a few websites and another magazine and had given it to me to use/abuse/test and we both had thought they didn't want it back. Moving 4 TB's of movies and music back to the internal HDDs was SOOOOOO much fun!!
You can build your own nas box too. That might be my next step pick up an empty 4 bay nas and fill with drives.
Oh I know I am running a few NAS boxes at work and I did all the research and purchasing at least it was cheaper than getting SAN storage. I am hoping to pick up on a 5 bay Synology box when they do a refresh.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:13 PM

3TB is just what I happen to have now... Ultimately I want a 4 3TB array for a 9TB black hole of storage.
A 9TB black Hole of storage would be nice. I would do a Nas or a File/home server for that though. I already want to remove all but 1 mech drive from my tower and put them into a nas or file server.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:34 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

I have a bunch of bays in my tower. Might as well load them up with a bunch of drives. And then I just have one box. Not a tower and then a storage box next to it.

IDK, I just have a weird desire to keep everything in one box. That same desire made the water loop... interesting.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:59 PM

I have a bunch of bays in my tower. Might as well load them up with a bunch of drives. And then I just have one box. Not a tower and then a storage box next to it.

IDK, I just have a weird desire to keep everything in one box. That same desire made the water loop... interesting.
something something eggs in one basket something something
Old 10-02-2014, 02:27 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

But it's a really cool basket.

Old 10-02-2014, 02:45 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL