Inna wins.

So gravitational waves....
Old 02-11-2016, 08:20 AM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT
Inna wins.

So gravitational waves....
Get the physicist in here to do his job.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
What waves where?
Old 02-11-2016, 08:26 AM
Give Me All the Miatas

Car Info: 2001 Miata
Originally Posted by rupees88
Get the physicist in here to do his job.
Paging Samir, Paging Samir, you're needed for Physics with Samir!
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
What waves where?
From a collision between 2 black hols 1.3 billion years ago
Old 02-11-2016, 08:27 AM
Churro Aficionado

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/12/sc...tein.html?_r=0
Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
MS Access class all day.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
MS Access class all day.

Sounds like fun!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:31 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Gravity waves, I have to make this quick.

Einstein postulated that space and time are interwoven in a 4-dimensional "fabric". Gravity, as good ol' Al envisioned it, distorts space-time. Imagine a sheet stretched out. Place a massive object on it, such as a baseball. The weight of the baseball will bend and stretch the sheet downward. Take a more massive object, such as a bowling ball. The bowling ball will have a similar effect, but more pronounced. Mass, in 4-D space-time, behaves in a similar way. Gravity was viewed as the force acting between two objects, but it was not known, specifically, how that "information" was transmitted between the two objects. Was it, "Hey. I'm here. Come towards me."? Was it a particle emitted from one acting on the other?

Today, it was announced that evidence suggests that gravity propagates as waves or distortions in space-time. This is big for two reasons.

The first, we now know how gravity "travels". The details of the experiment are actually quite fascinating. The LIGO consists of two 4 kilometer long laser ranges set at a 90-degree angle to each other (imagine a gigantic "L"). The hypothesis of this experiment was that if there are no localized distortions or ripples in space-time (woah.. Star Trek stuff), the laser pulses sent down each tube, in exactly 180 degree phase opposition (when one is up, the other is down) should go down and back in exactly the same amount of time with not variations in the wavelengths or phase difference and cancel each other out. Thanks to the collision of two black holes, gravitational waves were sent out and these were detected by LIGO as a phase variation in the interferometer by a non-zero signal.

The second, although no less important, since we now know that gravity waves exists, we can now measure the speed at which gravitational interactions occur.

Very exiting time for the field.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:38 AM
Churro Aficionado

Ooooo fun
Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
MS Access class all day.

Forreal?

Gravity waves, I have to make this quick.

Einstein postulated that space and time are interwoven in a 4-dimensional "fabric". Gravity, as good ol' Al envisioned it, distorts space-time. Imagine a sheet stretched out. Place a massive object on it, such as a baseball. The weight of the baseball will bend and stretch the sheet downward. Take a more massive object, such as a bowling ball. The bowling ball will have a similar effect, but more pronounced. Mass, in 4-D space-time, behaves in a similar way. Gravity was viewed as the force acting between two objects, but it was not known, specifically, how that "information" was transmitted between the two objects. Was it, "Hey. I'm here. Come towards me."? Was it a particle emitted from one acting on the other?

Today, it was announced that evidence suggests that gravity propagates as waves or distortions in space-time. This is big for two reasons.

The first, we now know how gravity "travels". The details of the experiment are actually quite fascinating. The LIGO consists of two 4 kilometer long laser ranges set at a 90-degree angle to each other (imagine a gigantic "L"). The hypothesis of this experiment was that if there are no localized distortions or ripples in space-time (woah.. Star Trek stuff), the laser pulses sent down each tube, in exactly 180 degree phase opposition (when one is up, the other is down) should go down and back in exactly the same amount of time with not variations in the wavelengths or phase difference and cancel each other out. Thanks to the collision of two black holes, gravitational waves were sent out and these were detected by LIGO as a phase variation in the interferometer by a non-zero signal.

The second, although no less important, since we now know that gravity waves exists, we can now measure the speed at which gravitational interactions occur.

Fascinating stuff.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 AM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
Originally Posted by rev. Rob large
gravity waves, i have to make this quick.

Einstein postulated that space and time are interwoven in a 4-dimensional "fabric". Gravity, as good ol' al envisioned it, distorts space-time. Imagine a sheet stretched out. Place a massive object on it, such as a baseball. The weight of the baseball will bend and stretch the sheet downward. Take a more massive object, such as a bowling ball. The bowling ball will have a similar effect, but more pronounced. Mass, in 4-d space-time, behaves in a similar way. Gravity was viewed as the force acting between two objects, but it was not known, specifically, how that "information" was transmitted between the two objects. Was it, "hey. I'm here. Come towards me."? Was it a particle emitted from one acting on the other?

The first, we now know how gravity "travels". The details of the experiment are actually quite fascinating. The ligo consists of two 4 kilometer long laser ranges set at a 90-degree angle to each other (imagine a gigantic "l"). The hypothesis of this experiment was that if there are no localized distortions or ripples in space-time (woah.. Star trek stuff), the laser pulses sent down each tube, in exactly 180 degree phase opposition (when one is up, the other is down) should go down and back in exactly the same amount of time with not variations in the wavelengths or phase difference and cancel each other out. Thanks to the collision of two black holes, gravitational waves were sent out and these were detected by ligo as a phase variation in the interferometer by a non-zero signal.

no in ukrainian
Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Give Me All the Miatas

Car Info: 2001 Miata
Old 02-11-2016, 11:04 AM
Churro Aficionado

Thinking an early lunch today

Quick Reply: one thread thursday