Moisture Wednesday

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 12:37 PM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
i dont own chains, never put them on.

If an awd/4x4 needs chains, caltrans will just shut the freeway down. Not joking.

Ive been stuck on colfax for 2hrs waiting for weather conditions to improve before they opened it back up and let anyone pass.
Originally Posted by jourdanwithau
safe bet... Pop into walmart, get 2chainz, go to the white stuff, never use the chains, get home, return the chainz.

Worst case, johnny law tells you that you need to put on dem chainz, welp, you got chanes.
truuuuuuu
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Originally Posted by The Law
In all seriousness, my girl is buying a crosstrek and she got the 2 free season passes to sierra for buying a subrua.
didnt know they were doing that this season too.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Originally Posted by Vladi
hrmmm interdrasting

guess I better chain up just in case
Have them but you'll probably never need to use them.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Give Me All the Miatas

Car Info: 2001 Miata
Summer tires are utter crap in the snow though.

Today is also my Friday
Old 01-13-2016, 12:51 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
but you can do mad skiidz amiright?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Where's Mah Reachin' Stick?

Car Info: On the right side
but you can do mad skiidz amiright?
Summer tires...

Winter tires....
Old 01-13-2016, 01:19 PM
Churro Aficionado

ive been thru the snow on bald summer tires
Old 01-13-2016, 01:24 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Well, you're a stupid chicken.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:30 PM

you need to get like jQQ and run Hoosiers to drive to the store

take corners with more speed than the car can generate in a straight line
Old 01-13-2016, 01:50 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Originally Posted by stupidchicken03
I was wondering how you were going boarding so often lol
Everyone in the unit took time off around Christmas, so I took it after New Year's.

so srs question:

if I wanted to go up to Tahoe
in the f00baru
on the stock dunlops or whatever it is the 13 wrx comes with

do I need chainz?

co worker sent me some link to the gubment site that says awd doesn't matter, if they mandate chains you still need chains.
There are 3 levels of chain restrictions, per CalTRANS:
Level 1: Chains on drive-axle of all vehicles EXCEPT 4WD/AWD vehicles.
Level 2: Chains on drive-axle of all vehicles EXCEPT 4WD/AWD vehicles equipped with snow-tread tires (per CalTRANS, "snow-tread tires" are tires with the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewalls). 4WD/AWD vehicles are required to carry chains.
Level 3: Chains or traction devices required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Reality:
Any level chain restriction, I wouldn't bother if you're on summer/non-M+S tires, which the Dunlop SP01 tires are very much not (found this out the hard way.. twice). Subaru's AWD system on the WRXs is pretty useless with summer tires. If you get stuck or start sliding, all the power will go to the slipping wheel/axle and you're hosed because you won't regain traction with more power. Like Chicken said, the roads will most likely be closed before Level 3 is enforced so chains on a Subaru isn't really an issue UNLESS you insist on running summer tires and put chains on for Level 2.

In all the times I've gone up when chain restrictions were in place (Level 1 and 2), I've never been stopped in the Subaru, not even to check tire rating or if we have chains. They see it's a Subaru and wave us through. This isn't to say they won't ever check. They can turn you around if there have been a lot of vaping retards wrecking so they start checking AWD cars for chains and you don't have them.

TL;DR -- Get M+S for traction and safety sake. If there's enough snow on the ground or coming down that they do put up chain restrictions, you'll WANT an M+S rated tire rather than looking like the idiot who wrecked their Subaru at 5mph in the snow because AWDBROOZZZZZ!!!

Originally Posted by JourdanWithaU
Safe bet... Pop into Walmart, get 2chainz, go to the white stuff, never use the chains, get home, return the chainz.

Worst case, johnny law tells you that you need to put on dem chainz, welp, you got chanes.
What he said. Check first though, some places (like Kragen) won't let you return chains even if they're unused.

Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT
Summer tires are utter crap in the snow though.
Yep. Almost wrecked both cars (separate instances) on those garbage Dunlop SP01s the GRs and GVs came with. At least the WRX GDs and GGs came with not horrible all-weather Eagle GTs.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large
Everyone in the unit took time off around Christmas, so I took it after New Year's.

Level 2: Chains on drive-axle of all vehicles EXCEPT 4WD/AWD vehicles equipped with snow-tread tires (per CalTRANS, "snow-tread tires" are tires with the letters MS, M/S, M+S or the words MUD AND SNOW have been stamped into the sidewalls). 4WD/AWD vehicles are required to carry chains.

Reality:
Any level chain restriction, I wouldn't bother if you're on summer/non-M+S tires, which the Dunlop SP01 tires are very much not (found this out the hard way.. twice). Subaru's AWD system on the WRXs is pretty useless with summer tires. If you get stuck or start sliding, all the power will go to the slipping wheel/axle and you're hosed because you won't regain traction with more power. Like Chicken said, the roads will most likely be closed before Level 3 is enforced so chains on a Subaru isn't really an issue UNLESS you insist on running summer tires and put chains on for Level 2.

In all the times I've gone up when chain restrictions were in place (Level 1 and 2), I've never been stopped in the Subaru, not even to check tire rating or if we have chains. They see it's a Subaru and wave us through. This isn't to say they won't ever check. They can turn you around if there have been a lot of vaping retards wrecking so they start checking AWD cars for chains and you don't have them.

TL;DR -- Get M+S for traction and safety sake. If there's enough snow on the ground or coming down that they do put up chain restrictions, you'll WANT an M+S rated tire rather than looking like the idiot who wrecked their Subaru at 5mph in the snow because AWDBROOZZZZZ!!!

What he said. Check first though, some places (like Kragen) won't let you return chains even if they're unused.

Yep. Almost wrecked both cars (separate instances) on those garbage Dunlop SP01s the GRs and GVs came with. At least the WRX GDs and GGs came with not horrible all-weather Eagle GTs.
Thanks

I pretty much never go up, ever, so I aint tryin to be brave or cool.

If I find some to borrow, I will, otherwise I guess I'll just have a set of chains just in case.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:22 PM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
You have no idea how many people start calling and asking about chains for there subaru, when i try to enplane that you don't need them on awd cuz if you have good all season tires or winter, you are ok. If the roads are really bad they wont let anyone go.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:31 PM
Give Me All the Miatas

Car Info: 2001 Miata
I loved my summer tires on my spec.B, but went with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's this last time just in case I want to go to the snow.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:42 PM
Moist IT Outsourcing Services

Car Info: Mahindra Tractor
Originally Posted by Rev. Rob Large

Reality:

I can vouch for this.

Originally Posted by i< 3dirt
You have no idea how many people start calling and asking about chains for there subaru, when i try to enplane that you don't need them on awd cuz if you have good all season tires or winter, you are ok. If the roads are really bad they wont let anyone go.
Just tell them in Russia they don't use chains.

Originally Posted by Chris GTO TT
I loved my summer tires on my spec.B, but went with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3's this last time just in case I want to go to the snow.
How is the Miata in the snow?
Old 01-13-2016, 02:43 PM
Churro Aficionado

Cant wait to head back up the hill.

Quick Reply: Moisture Wednesday