Gosling Wed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
**** lawyers and frivolous lawsuits.

We were involved in an accident in September 2013. We were attempting a legal and controlled U-turn when another vehicle coming from the opposite direction in the #1 collided with our car. Long story short, we were found to be at fault since the other car had the right-of-way and we "failed to yield" even though I contend they were exceeding the speed limit, but that was never determined since she was going so fast and had no time to react, she never applied the brakes so there were no skid marks for them to measure. Given the fact that her piece of **** Civic managed to rotate our full-sized Taurus almost a full 180 degrees, I do not think I would be too far off base to say she was going faster than 45 mph.

Anyway..

Claims were filed. The other driver, who was not conspicuously injured at the time of the accident, somehow managed to rack up approximately $30,000 in medical expenses related to this incident. Lost wages were on the order of $10,000. "Pain and suffering" was somehow quantified to the nice round number of $75,000.

Anyone want to dive into a mental exercise and guess the exact amount our combined coverage is for, a number which was disclosed to the plaintiff's attorney?

Pat yourself on the head if you guessed $115,000.

Obviously, our representatives are going to "discuss" the amount of the settlement, but, God help me, if it should go for that full amount and I find that this ***** goes on vacation to Bora ****ing Bora, I will rain fire down on her AND make God damned sure she never has to worry about getting into another collision again!

/rant
Old 02-03-2016, 05:10 PM
The Good Wife

Car Info: 2010 Subaru WRX
That's a difficult situation.

I do have one question. Did you complete the U-Turn, meaning did she hit your car on the side or at the rear? I ask because if you had completed the turn, regardless if you were up to speed yet, then she should be at fault because its up to her to adjust her speed if any cars are fully in the lane.

In my experience and research, the driver negotiating the entry into a land could be held at fault until they complete the merge. However with out visual proof or testimony that the driver was exceeding the limit.

Found this out when I T-boned a BMW years ago because she wen't out of the lane in an intersection and tried to enter back in. She passed blame to the pickup that partially entered the intersection on a red that caused her to leave the lane.

For you though, it is difficult situation and sadly disturbing when the "Pain and suffering" gets thrown around. If she's claiming medical and pain suffering, perhaps a private investigator should be sent out to corroborate her suffering.

Also was there any indication she could have been on the phone at the time? But of course it's been 2+ years.

Sorry man. That's not a fun thing to deal with.