Old 01-11-2017, 09:10 AM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
Extra etra moist wednesday

Morning
Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 AM
The Good Wife

Car Info: 2010 Subaru WRX
I didn't drop my lunch or coffee today so its already better than yesterday.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:28 AM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Aloha kakahiaka!

Watching Merrie Monarch videos all morning making the 31st seem further and further..
Old 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Dirty Purple Ukrainian

Car Info: SUBARU BROOM
Originally Posted by the1_thedave
I didn't drop my lunch or coffee today so its already better than yesterday.
what about Ella?
Old 01-11-2017, 10:16 AM
The Good Wife

Car Info: 2010 Subaru WRX
Originally Posted by i<3dirt
what about Ella?
Only that I dropped her off at daycare.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:19 AM
Bad Mudder Trucker

Car Info: 2013 Forester on Towstrap
Old 01-11-2017, 10:33 AM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Rob,
I need Hawaii advice. Like, a lot of Hawaii advice. Like I know nothing about it, and went everywhere but Hawaii before, but really considering going to Hawaii this time, and don't even know where to start looking for trips type of advice

this would be for the 2nd week of march, our anniversary. 3/5-3/11 is open

splooge knowledge all over my bbgurl
Old 01-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
OK. You asked for it--

My first advice to anyone wanting to go to Hawai'i who have never been before is to start with O'ahu (Honolulu). The reason for this is that O'ahu is the most urbanized of all the Hawaiian Islands. O'ahu has a lot to offer in the way of learning about the history and culture of Hawai'i which will then allow for a greater appreciation of the outer islands. From there, you will then need to figure out why you're going to Hawai'i (visit and learn about a new place, getting away from the mainland to rest and relax, explore the natural wonders and beauty of the Islands, etc.) and I can make more specific recommendations.

General recommendations for O’ahu, Hawai'i:

Airfare – I will always recommend Hawaiian Airlines above any other carrier to Hawai'i. They are not the cheapest, typically, although they can be depending on the time of year and deals offered, but their punctuality and service is rivalled only by Singapore Airlines (at a distant second) of all the airlines I have ever flown, which by quick head count numbers close to 20. For 5 March to 11 March, SMF to HNL direct on HA is $598 per person. You leave at 7 am PDT and it gets you into HNL at around 11 am HST which is the earliest of any carrier and is the only direct flight from SMF. There are other carriers that fly out of SMF, but have layovers which basically kill off your first day in Hawai’i. Taking HA out of SMF, you land early enough that you still have most of the day to do stuff.
If you want to leave from the Bay Area, the price drops to about $420 per person for a direct flight to HNL from either Oakland or San Jose, but then you have to figure in transportation and travel time to OAK or SJC, parking, etc. Those leave around 9 am PDT and get in just after 1 pm HST.

Hotels – We’ve always had really good luck with hotwire in finding relatively inexpensive well-suited places to stay in Waikiki. For Hawai’i, much like Vegas, it’s foolish to spend a lot of money on your hotel room since you’ll only really be there to sleep and clean up. If it has basic amenities (four walls, bed, electricity, etc.), functioning climate control (if tropical weather bothers you), and a door that locks, you’re good to go. The only exception to this, that I can think of, is if you’re staying at a resort you don’t plan on leaving such as Aulani—while cool to see for the ohs and ahs, I liken the experience of going to Hawai’i and staying ONLY at the resort to saying you want Mexican food and going to Taco Bell, but I digress. The Waikiki area has the most hotels and the competition keeps prices for the 2-, 3-, and even 4-star places reasonable. A quick check of hotwire just now and there are three 2-star or better offers in the Waikiki area with better than 75% recommendations for under $100 per night. If you’re feeling a bit more adventurous, you can check Airbnb for a bigger place (apartment or in-laws quarters) if the need exists, but you’ll be paying more.

*Quick rant about “reviews” of hotels in Honolulu, Waikiki specifically: a lot of times hotels will get hammered on the reviews for a number of things out of their control. My favorites are “a musty/damp smell” (you’re in the TROPICS for ****’s sake and it’s humid ALL the time), “insects/cockroaches” (again, you’re in the TROPICS and there are bugs EVERYWHERE), and “street noise” (much like Vegas, Waikiki especially, there is always activity and this can go well into the night; get a room above the 5th floor and, miraculously, the noise goes away).

Transportation – While the public transportation system on O’ahu is very good (Da Bus), life is always much easier if you have your own car. Rentals through Costco have always served us well, but you may, also find a good deal on turo (Airbnb for cars). Word of warning, hotels in Waikiki will charge you to park (on the order of $15/day and up) as a separate fee or as part of a larger Resort Fee, so factor that into your budget. Parking is only really a challenge in Waikiki. The Waikiki area is just over a mile end-to-end (Hilton Hawaiian Village to Kapahulu). If you’re doing stuff in Waikiki, most everything is walkable. If not, they have trolleys that run the length of the area. Anywhere else on the island, parking is rarely an issue.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:44 PM

Yes. A whole lot. I'll text you with specific questions too, but thank you so much
Old 01-12-2017, 03:05 PM
Warm Fuzzy Admin

Car Info: 97 LOB, 05 FXT, 03 Tundra
Adding on - we did an AirBnB and got it around $100 a night. Didn't have AC but was livable - private entrance, king bed, full kitchen, etc. We did Turo and I highly recommend a dude named Shams - search for 4 door Tacomas, he has a few. Pickup at baggage claim, awesomely solid truck, a cooler, beach chairs, umbrella, and fins, and he runs a body shop so doesn't care about little stuff. Our Turo was cheaper than a compact car, and it's not a rental (everyone in HI eyes the cars for barcodes). If you get a truck from Shams, tell him the pair of dudes from Sacramento that rented two of his trucks simultaneously (me and Chicken) highly recommended him.

For both AirBnB and Turo, most places give a discount (sometimes significant) for a stay/rent of more than 7 days - we did 9 and got a 25% on both the house and the car (might be different based on time of year). I will 100% do AirBnB and Turo when going back - just look at reviews.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:54 PM

very cool, thanks