Brentuning

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 PM

Car Info: 2015 WRX CWP
Brentuning

Any of you Sacramento citizens have any experience using Bren? I just purchased an e-tune, I'll keep you guys updated on my experience.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:17 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
I've known Bren since like 2004, great guy and solid tuner.
But he's got a bunch of guys working for him now, and I don't know any of them, and they seem to be the ones doing the e-tunes, while he focuses more on the in person dyno tunes.

I've heard lots of really good reviews of the e-tunes, and a couple bad ones. That's about it.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:24 PM

I've done a lot of research, just wanted to get an idea of what the Sacramento people had to say about him. It would be nice to get some first hand experiences. I was thinking about going to Snail Performance, but I think if I ever go stage 2 I'll go for a pro-tune.
Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM
In Russia, Title Choose You.

Car Info: Everywhere
Why not go to snail now?
I would always prefer a local pro-tune over an e-tune from someone over 2,000miles away. They don't have that much experience with our terrible gas, or our crazy temperature swings, or any little issues your car might have that would need to be diagnosed in person.

Just my .02
Old 07-22-2015, 03:53 PM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
Cant say anything good or bad about Bren, but I can say +1 to Travis at Snail.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:57 PM

Nothing against Travis @Snail. I just read nothing but good things about Bren. I'm sure Travis does a great job, which is why if I went Stage 2 I'd go with Snail.

Currently running the Cobb OTS Stage 1, I really don't have very many gripes with it, I'd just like to squeeze out a little more power. Also, at least feel like buying the AP was worth it.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:11 PM
Call me Pebbles

Car Info: Moist
Not knocking Bren, but I don't think e-tunes are the best idea for the reasons Vladi pointed out. If there is something wrong with the car that would be exacerbated by a re-tune, by doing a live tune the problem(s) can be addressed immediately before any damage is done to the car. Even if the problem won't cause damage, identifying problems or issues immediately can save a lot of time and trouble with diagnosis and remediation. It just doesn't seem to be the best approach to have a tune blindly flashed to the car and hope for the best.

Aside from the extensive work FW and Snail have done to my car, we had Travis tune my fiancee's 2014 WRX and it's completely stock so that'd be a "Stage 1" tune, I guess. He did redid the throttle response table and tweaked some other parameters beyond the Cobb OTS map. Car feels great and is a blast to drive for being "stock".
Old 07-22-2015, 04:19 PM

That seems to be the consensus. Well I already fed my money into the machine, and there are no refunds. Guess going forward I'll at least give the local tuner a call . Although I'll let you guys know how Bren works out for me. Sounds like a lot of people are (were) getting quick turn around. I emailed them at 12 and haven't gotten a response yet. Hoping to do a log tonight if possible. If not I understand.

Although, the waiting game could have been avoided if I went with a local tuner (don't have to tell me twice).