Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

I like photography :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 PM

Car Info: evo8
lol i have the same blower,the 55-200 was a bit dirty inside.it got left uncapped for some reason on my old bag
Old 03-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi
I don't think there's anything you can do about dust inside of the lens but then again it shouldn't effect your photos either (from what I've read, Mike will probably clear things up though). I've read that some people have scratches all over their lenses and it doesn't affect the IQ very much if not at all.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 PM

Car Info: 12Teens crazy 4 me
^Hmm.. Thanks for the insight.

Whats weird is that if I had the camera mode in "Sport" it will show the dusts spots, but when I have it in any other mode it wont show up.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 PM

BTW, ill post some of my pics once I turn in the project. I dont want the Teacher to think I pulled the images off google, off a site called i-club.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:51 PM

Car Info: '97 Grandpa Gold Jetta
theoutbackdream, have you taken any photos in sport mode with other lenses? If so, could be your sensor. Rocket Blower works great for both sensors and lenses Dust inside a lens usually dust show up in photos, but you can have them professionally cleaned inside. I know Canon has a service that does exactly that.

Last edited by 04Impreza; 03-04-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by 04Impreza
theourbackdream, have you taken any photos in sport mode with other lenses? If so, could be your sensor. Rocket Blower works great for both sensors and lenses Dust inside a lens usually dust show up in photos, but you can have them professionally cleaned inside. I know Canon has a service that does exactly that.
Sadly, I do not have any other lenses to compare with. I read up on it a bit, and it does seem to be a sensor issue more than debris in the lens. Awesome, Ill check out the rocket blower and that service from canon!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 PM

^
No problem! They clean both lenses and bodies but Borrowlenses in San Carlos also offers cleaning services, never went through them though. One thing to avoid using is compressed air or those cans of air for dusting. Some say it doesn't hurt anything others have had their mirror blown off. I'd rather not risk it If you do pick up a Rocket Blower, go as big as possible. I believe I have a medium size one and it's worked great, but heard the smaller ones don't pack enough punch needed and wont get it completely clean.

Just realized in my previous post I meant "doesn't" not "dust" the second time I used it lol
Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 PM

I think ill definitely mention the cleaning service to my parents. Wow, thats pretty scary. :O Where can I find the "Rocket Blower"(locally)? Ill get the big one for sure. I have an old film camera, and I remember using a dust blower to clean out the film when in the dark room. We had one about the size of a rolex watch.. It was a failure. lol
Old 03-04-2012, 11:28 PM

Not sure which body your using theoutbackdream, but double check your camera settings for sensor cleaning. I have mine set to clean when the camera is turned on/off and have noticed at times a dust spec or two afterwards which I then select it to clean the sensor which usually cleans them off

Last edited by 04Impreza; 03-04-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Lol Damn I can only imagine using that blower.

Should be able to find a Rocket Blower at Calumet in SF and there's Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto. There's also the numerous Ritz/Wolf Camera stores throughout the Bay Area, but I usually don't find what I want/need in stock.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Not sure which body your using theoutbackdream, but double check your camera settings for sensor cleaning. I have mine set to clean when the camera is turned on/off and have noticed at times a dust spec or two afterwards which I then select it to clean the sensor which usually cleans them off
Ah, sorry, Im using a Canon 50D, and the current setting is on "Senor Cleaning-Enabled"

I tried "Clean now" but the specs just wont go away. Guess its time to send it off to canon. I don't really mind sending it off since this camera has been shared between my Dad and I, and its been maybe about 3 years of Very good use.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 PM

Lol Damn I can only imagine using that blower.

Should be able to find a Rocket Blower at Calumet in SF and there's Keeble & Shuchat in Palo Alto. There's also the numerous Ritz/Wolf Camera stores throughout the Bay Area, but I usually don't find what I want/need in stock.
haha. Yea, it was a PITA to use.. you would give it like a death grip squeeze and get like 1 spec of dust blown away

Guess ill be making some calls this coming weekend.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 PM

No problem at all, sounds like its due for a good cleaning From what I remember seeing before, Borrowlenses charges $40 so I'd expect Canon to charge somewhere around there.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 AM

Car Info: '06 WRB STi

BAM!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:06 AM

Car Info: evo8
nice!!too bad the hotrod didnt run,wanted to see how it handled.

Quick Reply: I like photography :)