Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
there are times when you gotta shoot wide open. btw, f/22 isn't the sharpest on lenses. most lenses have a sweet spot from about f/5.6 to 11. once pass 11 you'll start going the other way.

like i said, there are times when you can't do either, low ISO or tripod. i've shot 3200 push 1 wide open at f/1.2 1/30. it's no longer fun when you start worrying about grain but then i enjoy the grainy look of 3200...don't need to use a grain finder in the darkroom.

but on film once you get to multi-second exposures you'll have to deal with reciprocity failures.

i agree with you on all points. when i say f/22 usually i am shooting 2 stops from the last possible stop on my lens. that way am in the sweet spot of my lens

as for film, that's why i shoot with velvia 50 which is the most amazing slide film ever made and it does not have issues ever.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:38 PM

this sunday i am driving through 80 to reno for work. on tuesday i am heading down on hwy 395 all the way to LA. it should be interesting scenery. i will post pictures of my trip after i get back.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
the beauty of grain:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204385@N03/867613607/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204385@N03/644978600/
noise...that's a different topic.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:45 PM

Thumbs up

the beauty of grain:

you see, you tricked me. if you're talking B&W, yes grain is king. i love your photography and i think i told you that before. so i can't argue with you because i think you are a master photographer.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
you see, you tricked me. if you're talking B&W, yes grain is king. i love your photography and i think i told you that before. so i can't argue with you because i think you are a master photographer.
thanks for those kind words. i'm very flatter. i'm still learning. there's still a lot to learn. actually, there's still a lot to experience. this photographer once told me, "I can teach you all I know about photography in a day, from there on all it's all you." i agree because there isn't much to learn. it's very basic...it's just you have to make sense of what you know and know how to use what you know.

colour is overrated. for a sense of mood/scene, BW is the way to go. same with flash...that's overrated too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7204385@N03/1345074136/

Last edited by JZ oo7; 02-20-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by DetailAddict
here are some resized versions... the first one is the super blue one and the second one is too dark. but that one I know how to adjust using level. really just need help on the 'super blue'...
monitor here at work is pretty bad. you can try this in photoshop. works ok, there are better ways but this is simple and fast. in levels, on the RGB option, lower right corner, you have 3 eyedropper icons. left is set black point, middle is set gray point, right is set white point. select the set white point then click on a spot in the photo of what you think is white. you might have to click around to get better results.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:09 PM

thanks for those kind words. i'm very flatter. i'm still learning. there's still a lot to learn. actually, there's still a lot to experience. this photographer once told me, "I can teach you all I know about photography in a day, from there on all it's all you." i agree because there isn't much to learn. it's very basic...it's just you have to make sense of what you know and know how to use what you know.

colour is overrated. for a sense of mood/scene, BW is the way to go. same with flash...that's overrated too.

i agree with you again. what i know about photography is from studying as much as i can and applying it with practice. i always feel that my photography sucks because i always see much better work than mine out there. you should see the work on photo.net it is truly out of this world. so i know i am at the bottom when it comes to art. i have been doing it for a very long time, but i feel that it is work and not art.

maybe one day when i start doing it as an art, things will change.

hope to meet you in person one day.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
thanks, but that just fix the brightness issue right? I want to get rid of the blue. in the blue pic, there is oxidation, yellowing, and all the nasty stuff. I want to be able to see those to have a good before/after pics.

monitor here at work is pretty bad. you can try this in photoshop. works ok, there are better ways but this is simple and fast. in levels, on the RGB option, lower right corner, you have 3 eyedropper icons. left is set black point, middle is set gray point, right is set white point. select the set white point then click on a spot in the photo of what you think is white. you might have to click around to get better results.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Former Vendor

Car Info: Evo X
no, jz sucks! he is only good at post ***** in online forums!

j/k, i've learned a lot from jz... Hey, where is Daios? He should be in this thread too!

Old 02-20-2008, 02:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX

heres two so far from today

Last edited by VRT MBasile; 02-20-2008 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:56 PM

i don't think ewic likes us anymore.

Originally Posted by DetailAddict
no, jz sucks! he is only good at post ***** in online forums!

j/k, i've learned a lot from jz... Hey, where is Daios? He should be in this thread too!
Old 02-20-2008, 03:17 PM

so, what's the story behind this fallout shelter? what is this place?
Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
the beauty of grain:

Thank you! grain does not mean noise!

Can I hire you to smack sense into America please?
Old 02-20-2008, 04:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
so, what's the story behind this fallout shelter? what is this place?
haha, its part of Ft. Ord, I have more pictures from there from today but I wanted to get that one up.

I'm not sure if I like the B/W or color better though
Old 02-20-2008, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by VRT MBasile
haha, its part of Ft. Ord, I have more pictures from there from today but I wanted to get that one up.

I'm not sure if I like the B/W or color better though
just remember that B&W is better for telling the story. colors always steal the attention away from the subject. i prefer B&W for subjects like yours and ones listed below.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers