Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 12:53 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Yeah the CP cuts down the light intake by quite a bit.

I think what you just said combined with what Wael mentioned about a lense that utilizes internal focusing VS one that telescopes(like my 75-300 does)are the main culprits for this problem.

If you are doing mainly web work, sRGB might be better...that is something I haven't gotten into too much. But if you are shooting for prints, definately use Adobe RGB. This is why I initially said yes and no to your question about which is better. Like everything else in this field...the settings and features you use are dependant on what you intend to use the image for.
i don't think internal focusing has anything to do with it. IIRC when a lens is IF (internal focusing) it just means that while the lens focuses nothing on the outside (parts that you touch) is moving including the filter thread.

got it for the sRGB and Adobe RGB comparison. i believe when shooting raw, it doesn't make a difference if you're in either color space (camera setting) since it's just 1's and 0's. it's only in the raw conversion part that matters correct?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
And you are also right about B&H being cheaper much of the time...but sometimes I can't wait for something to be shipped.
that's the price you pay for wanting it NOW i've driven out to calumet because i didn't want to wait for shipping. i think we're all guilty of "I want it NOW!!!" plus when i buy film, i much rather buy it from calumet. at least i don't take as big of a risk of the film getting zapped by x-ray. it's just sad that calumet is carrying less and less film now...sigh...i'm still a dedicated film shooter.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Dunno about the focusing issue, wish I did.

As I understand it, no it shouldn't matter, but all my instructors have always stressed the use of Adobe RGB setting even in camera. I will run this by them on Thursday and see if I can't get a definitive answer for both uses, web work and print. I suppose I might as well ask about the focusing problem too n see if we can't nail that one.

Also, just to keep this clear:

Adobe 1998 = Adobe RGB

figured I'd throw that out there since I have refered to it as both already here in the thread.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 AM

i think the problem with it not focusing properly is the lack of light. at the widest, that lens is at f/4.0. i've seen some CP suggest to dial in an extra stop for off camera light meters. that'll make the CP cut one stop of light reaching your focus sensors, so the amount of light reaching the sensor would be like a 5.6 aperture. and at the tight end, it'll be like a 8.0 aperture.

i think i'm gonna set the setting in camera for Adobe RGB since the jpegs coming out of it would benefit.

Last edited by JZ oo7; 02-13-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 AM

Car Info: 05' Evo MR w/E85 - 10' Ralliart Sportback w/E85
My D70 has no focusing problems, even with a circular polarizing filter that looks black if you look at it. With both my 35mm f2 Prime and my 70mm f3.5 Zoom

You guys have your cameras set up correctly? 2 secs is recockulious...
Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 AM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by JZ oo7
then the problem might be in the lack of light for focusing. correct me if i'm wrong, but CPs cut almost 1/2 to 1 stop of light. i don't know what the 5D needs for focusing, but on nikons you need at least a f/5.6 for autofocusing. not sure if you know this already, but i'll throw it out there anyways: a faster lens not only lets more light in but it also helps with focusing. a lens doesn't stop down until you hit the shutter, so whenever you're looking through the viewfinder (other then being in depth of field preview) you are at the widest f/stop.
CP cuts out 2 stops.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:47 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
It could also be the 5D. I know a few people who do action photography, and each one of them has told me that the 5D is more of a portrait/object photography camera than it is an action camera. A lot of people are happy enough with the 40D, or the 1D like a couple others I've talked to. Something about the sensors not being fast enough to convert the data or something or another.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:25 AM
VIP Member

The sensor on the 5D is plenty fast. The main gripe about the 5D is it is somewhat fragile so if you are shooting in the field, you need to be mindful of this, but if you ask me, you should be careful with your equipment at all times in all situations regardless of what it may be.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:03 AM

i don't think it's camera related since it works fine with UV filters. i've seen people use 5D and 1Ds for motorsports. couple of top formula 1 photographers use 1Ds.

maybe not use a CP for motorsports at all. most of the photographers i've talked to said the cons outweigh the pros with using a CP for motorsports.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:17 AM
VIP Member

Thats been my experience. And with the digital post production abilities getting better and better, one can replicate the affects of a CP if they were willing to put the time in. Of course, doing it in camera is the way to go if you can.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:34 AM

off-topic, EndlessWaltz RS, i can come by the winery and get some vine shots? and maybe some tasting?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Yin

Car Info: 2016 FXT
yosemite in april:
Old 02-13-2008, 01:12 PM

my god, this is beautiful. so this is what yosimte looks like in april. i should go.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
Originally Posted by ldivinag
boo hoo... i want a refund... my L glass came in black...

lol.........
Yeah i think you better get that checked out before people laugh at you!

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
This is one of the only answers I could find on the subject....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
hmm good to know. I do more landscapes than sports, maybe i need a 4x5...recomendations?

and 70-200 f4L and f2.8L:
Of course i want the 2.8, but dont want to regret buying the f4
I could rent one, a 2.8, probably not a 4

anyone use the 100-400? MMM!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr
Yeah i think you better get that checked out before people laugh at you!

hmm good to know. I do more landscapes than sports, maybe i need a 4x5...recomendations?

and 70-200 f4L and f2.8L:
Of course i want the 2.8, but dont want to regret buying the f4
I could rent one, a 2.8, probably not a 4

anyone use the 100-400? MMM!!!
kyle you have to see my 4x5 and lenses before you ever look at any other.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers