Photoshop & Photography Use this forum to talk about anything related to photography and photoshop. Post the following: your photography portfolio, photoshop portfolio, request for photoshop work, questions about camera equipment, etc.

Bay Area Photographers

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 1999 RS Coupé- 1995 Mazda Miata -KTM 300
yeah D40 relies on AF-S lenses to focus.

My friends D40 with 18-55 stock takes seriously 2 whole seconds to focus almost every shot.

My $80 50mm 1.8 takes 0.2 seconds
Old 02-12-2008, 11:28 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by kYLEMtnCRUZr

My friends D40 with 18-55 stock takes seriously 2 whole seconds to focus almost every shot.

you know evern though i said what i said before about lenses, i love the way my old F5 film camera focuses better than my D80. professional cameras do have an advantage.

i also have a 80mm 1.8 and that is pretty fast because it is so small and does not neet much to focus.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 00 BRP RS LIC'd 01 EJ207 + non DCCD 6 Speed
Originally Posted by MyNikonLens
i just purchased CS3 for $299 on their website. i got an email promotion and went for it. not sure how much i will use it, but i will let you guys know.
Which site did you get CS3 for $299 from?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:36 PM
03.23.67 - 06.14.13

thats one reason i like my Canon, when you look at the sidelines, all you see are off white lenses

boo hoo... i want a refund... my L glass came in black...

lol.........
Old 02-12-2008, 11:44 PM

Car Info: Porsche 911 GT3
Originally Posted by EndlessWaltz RS
Which site did you get CS3 for $299 from?

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/

i know the price is not $299, but I did get an email from them, clicked on it and got it for that price.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:53 PM
VIP Member

Awsome, thanks for the link, I have a full copy of CS2 so I just need the upgrade.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:09 AM

Car Info: 1.8L FWD
Yeah dude, its rough and it would be such a simple thing to check before hand.

This is a perfect example of a problem I have run into while using auto focus. I shoot Canon(here it comes) so I'm not sure if Nikon will have the same problem, and it might even be specific to my 5D(maybe someone here will be able to clearify) but when using the auto focus in conjunction with a any filter other than a standard UV, the camera kind of freaks out and can't pinpoint an exact point of focus while shooting anything in motion. It gets close, but no where near as sharp as it should be. With the higher grade L series lenses this isn't a problem, or at least I haven't run into it yet with my 70-200mm F/2.8L IS USM.
that's strange because there are people out there that shoots with a ND filter and i don't see them having that problem and i doubt they are all shooting L series lenses. i want to say other filters other than UV soaks up some light, but then it's not even that much. what lenses have you tried that caused problems?
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 AM
VIP Member

I've run into this with my Canon 75-300 F/4-5.6 III USM with a circular polarizer.

Last edited by EndlessWaltz RS; 02-13-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:20 AM

Yeah I frequent Calumet because I get a discount being an Academy student...but unfortunately its not much. Thank you for clearifying that for me, I was wondering.

Back to the color space issue. Here is a write up that might help explain all this crap...and it is a lot to keep track of.

http://www.photographybay.com/2007/0...e-rgb-vs-srgb/

Think of it this way, in digital, there really are no colors. The sensor reads light as a series of tones and assigns them a numerical value anywhere between 0-255, making a total of 256 with 0 being absolute black and 255 being absolute white.
is the student discount still like 5% or something? not that i don't want to give locals the business, but when i shop for more expensive items i'll use b&h. the no tax alone saves 8.5% (depending on where you are) plus i find b&h usually have lower prices than calumet.

so when i edit in adobe RGB, i'll have to convert back to sRGB for web or save for web in photoshop. by looking at the gamut, it looks like adobe RGB has a lot more tones in the green/cyan and not as much in the warmer parts.

Last edited by JZ oo7; 02-13-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:25 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
thats one reason i like my Canon, when you look at the sidelines, all you see are off white lenses

but i like each company, dont have any reason not too, since some people apparently have robotic vision and can tell which picture came from which brand LOL! not mentioning any names...
This is one of the only answers I could find on the subject....

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikon-vs-canon.htm
Pros eventually started using the AF cameras around 1990 and liked them. One teensy-weensy problem around was that Nikon AF cameras couldn't focus fast enough for sports. The Canon cameras worked great. Pros who shot sports dumped their Nikon gear and moved to Canon in droves. Sports shooters still predominantly use Canon for this reason. I was kidding about slow AF being a teeny problem: it's why Nikon lost it's twenty-year lock on the pro journalism market and has never won it back!

Unlike 1980, in the 1990s Canon cameras evolved to be as professional as Nikon. They have competed neck and neck for the same customers ever since.

Nikon's AF speed is as good as Canon today, but no one is going to sell everything and start from scratch without a very good reason.

As a pro you own a lot of gear, all bought at different times. It all needs to work together as a system. Amateurs buy bodies and lenses together, while pros add and delete each body and lens from their systems as it makes sense. Except in the case of total theft, you never get the chance to start over from scratch.

Better AF performance was why sports pros left Nikon in the 1990s. There's never been anything compelling enough since then to get them all to switch back. That's why you see all the white lenses at sports events. Remember, sporting is only part of the photo picture. Landscape photographers have been using 4x5" film for over 100 years and don't show any signs of changing soon. The best ones rarely use Canon or Nikon.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:26 AM

I've run into this with my Canon 75-300 F/4-5.6 III USM with a circular polarizer.
then the problem might be in the lack of light for focusing. correct me if i'm wrong, but CPs cut almost 1/2 to 1 stop of light. i don't know what the 5D needs for focusing, but on nikons you need at least a f/5.6 for autofocusing. not sure if you know this already, but i'll throw it out there anyways: a faster lens not only lets more light in but it also helps with focusing. a lens doesn't stop down until you hit the shutter, so whenever you're looking through the viewfinder (other then being in depth of field preview) you are at the widest f/stop.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:33 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!

The only time my kit lens ever took 2 seconds to focus was either in low lighting or low contrast situations. For normal shooting it was never anywhere that slow. My 18-200 VR lens is plenty quick as well.

Nikon also has basically the same 50mm 1.8 lens for a few dollars more. It just won't autofocus on a D40. No big deal considering the typical uses for that lens.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:41 AM
VIP Member

Yeah the CP cuts down the light intake by quite a bit.

I think what you just said combined with what Wael mentioned about a lense that utilizes internal focusing VS one that telescopes(like my 75-300 does)are the main culprits for this problem.

If you are doing mainly web work, sRGB might be better...that is something I haven't gotten into too much. But if you are shooting for prints, definately use Adobe RGB. This is why I initially said yes and no to your question about which is better. Like everything else in this field...the settings and features you use are dependant on what you intend to use the image for.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:46 AM

AF-S is suppose to be the fastest in focusing for nikon. your friend might just need to learn how to use the autofocus. use higher contrast areas for focusing points instead of low. also the 50 1.8 gives the camera more light to focus, so that's one reason why it focuses pretty fast.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
VIP Member

And you are also right about B&H being cheaper much of the time...but sometimes I can't wait for something to be shipped.

Quick Reply: Bay Area Photographers