Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Car Info: 03 subaru wrx
H&R coilovers correctly reassembled, greased, and ride height measured and dialed in ready for cornerbalancing. Every time I look at the front suspension of the wrx I long for more suspension travel, I will have to spend some time playing with the ride height of the new setup to ensure I am not bottoming out on compression under aggressive driving. You can buy all the expensive parts in the world, but if you do not show attention to detail and spend time dialing in a setup your results will always be inferior. Anyone can have a bolt on queen (which is all my build basically is) but where the overall results and driving behavior come from is the sum of the total package and how you can make the parts complement each other.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 08-13-2012, 11:09 AM

Top portion of the Ground Control Camber/Caster plates installed finger tight for mock up during reassembly. I love the design of these plates, like being top mounted to preserve valuable wheel travel before bottoming out, high quality bearings, a thrust bearing to hold up the weight of the car so as to reduce stree on the pillowball upper strut mount used to locate the strut. High quality parts make for high quality results.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:10 AM

Coilover loosely installed for mock up and test fitment. Pleasantly surprised at the angle of the lower control arm, the Whiteline Extended Ball Joint dropped the lower control arm pivot significantly, which will do wonders for my roll center and suspension geometry. Still need to graph out the camber curve and roll couple, but its at least getting the lower control arm in the ball park for my suspension ride height. Still needs to be fine tuned once everythings put back together, but must say I am pleasantly surprised. And since I did have a few gripes about whiteline in my other post, this kit and most of their products have fit beautifully. Makes me wonder why they designed the few parts with fitment issues the way they did. H&R coilovers, Ground Control Camber/Caster plates, Whiteline ALK, and STI Aluminum lower control arms installed. Coilovers and mounts are installed just finger tight for the time being as this is still a mock up, as obviously the coilover needs to be unmounted to install the axles, which I just got the pins for (thanks flatirons tuning). Like I said at the top, very pleasantly surprised at the preliminary positioning of the lower control arm with the Whiteline extended ball joint. Still needs some fine tuning, a little finess, but definitely progress in the right direction. I love suspension work, so easy to make significant and measurable gains in lap times, chassis balance, predictability, confidence, etc.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Here's a follow up picture concerning the whiteline roll center correction kit. A few posts back I was raving up about how impressed I was with the fitment of the kit, and when I test fitted my coilovers I was very happy with the amount of angle it took off my lower control arm. Of course right now this is just ball park, as obviously the suspension is at full droop since the car is on jackstands. Here is a direct comparison though, of the oem tie rod end and the whiteline tie rod end. This is a similar drop as the ball joint, as they need to keep similar angles for the most benefits. After all the fitment, durability, and quality control problems 6gun racing had with their kit, if you are keeping the standard wrx or sti control arms and ball joint setup (and not upgrading to an msi lower control arm setup or LIC Motorsports adjustable hubs) I strongly feel the whiteline roll center kit is the best solution for your front end suspension geometry. Talked to many shops, no one seems to have had a problem with the Whiteline RollC enter Kit. Anyways, thought this would give you guys a better shot to see what I was raving about.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:11 AM

Here is the newest absolutely amazing, top notch engineered, functional piece of full win to grace my build. Another piece that belongs on a built motor beast, and is slumming it on my internally stock ej205. Killer Bee's amazing oil pan combination. I talked extensively to Chris at Killer Bee, as well as other tuners, and was torn between the other pans on the market. For the money of a new oil pan setup, I wanted to make sure I got the best, most effective end product. Killer Bee's oil pan setup comes with a lifetime warranty, beefed up oil pan pickup, no moving baffles (which can stick open with prolonged usage) and windage tray. The enlarged sump holds more oil, so it provides additional heat capacity as well as improved lubrication by its more effective design. Their baffle setup is superior on hard driven cars, where oil pooling in the heads is a serious issue. Here is an exerpt from one of the many emails between myself and Chris describing the advantages of his setup, plus his setup is compatable with my headers.

"The Subaru engine will pool oil in the outside head during cornering. Think of a cornering load the same as tipping your engine. The oil pools in the head facing the outside of the corner (or the head that's tipped downward on an engine stand/dyno). Under severe cornering, yes a flat baffle will help oil from sloshing out of the pan, BUT oil flowing from the other head can go across this baffle instead of into the bottom of the sump. Horizontal baffles also increase the amount of oil that can pool in each head before flowing back into the bottom of the sump.

Our replacement oil Baffle Windage tray and our sump's baffle are designed to direct oil downward to the sump wether it's coming from the crank or flowing back from the heads. We see spill-out as much less an issue because the heads pool oil long before oil begins to spill out of the sump.

A lot of the currently available baffling and oiling technology for Subarus are assumptions carried over from other makes/models, but just because those concepts work well on a V8, straight-6, etc., doesn't mean they are ideal on our Subaru boxer engines. Don't get me wrong here, some products are better than others and most are better than the factory bits. Our products come from a 'what's the problem, why and test, test, test philosophy'. We run CAD simulations, dyno testing and track testing to verify a design before its release."

Thank you Chris/Killer Bee for the amazing product. Amazing finished product, well thought out design, great ability to communicate with the end customer and take the time to lay out the benefits of your design. Thank you so much for the time you took to get me a finished product perfect for my goals. Highly recommend looking at Killer Bee for your Subaru needs, and very affordable to boot.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM

Here is the upcoming project, installing the Killer Bee Oil Setup and improving the oiling setup and consistency of the ej205. This improved oiling setup will give me a lot of peace of mind when dialing in my suspension at the track and skidpad. Skidpads can be exceptionally hard on the oiling system, clearly illustrating deficiencies as the oil pools to the outside of the turn lap after lap at the limits of adhession. I chalked this one up to cheaper than a new engine. Very excited about all the benefits this well engineered piece will offer my build.

This is the last time you will see OEM Subaru parts in the oiling system

Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Here's a view of the bottom side of the oem subaru ej205. All the OEM oiling system is removed, and allows a shot of the crank and rods. I really wish I was doing a built block, but I need to be smart and have fun with the power this setup will produce, and start reinforcing my drivetrain (i.e. 6 speed swap). The handling difference the upgrade diffs and dccd will make in handling will be profound, massive increase in strength, etc. And hopefully it will be in my budget to upgrade to a mechanical OS Giken/Carbonetic/ or Modena mechanical rear limited slip at that time (of course with some of the clutch plates deactivated and ramp up characteristics modified for my level of modification). But that is way, WAY, in the future.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:13 AM

Killer Bee Oil baffle installed and torqued to spec (something like 7.5 lb/ft of torque). Can't remember off hand, I know I consulted the FSM though. Part fit like a glove, Can't say enough about the quality, ease of fitment, customer service, and engineering in Killer Bee Products.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Here is a final shot under the oil pan before it gets sealed with 3bond and torqued to spec. All parts fit perfectly,a re high quality, and replace and upgrade over previously found shortcomings and compromises in the factory engineering. That is why you spend the money up front for these high quality parts and buy from reputable dealers, you get technically advanced, well engineered, top shelf parts that fit perfectly. Just what the home mechanic needs. No melted pots and pans from China being used as an intercooler or radiator on my build. Don't need parts to have parts, or to have bling, but instead to improve the performance of a certain aspect of the vehicle. Hopefully, my build continues to look like an excess of function and win.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Another view of the oiling system. Excited to check another item off the project list, and fully address another weak link in the factory engineering.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:15 AM

Killer Bee Ultimate Oil setup completely installed and torqued to spec. Used genuine Subaru 3bond to seal the pan, which is the same as fujibond. Increased oil capacity, built in bungs for oil temp, baffled, more durable/reliable, fits my perrin header, etc. All checked off the list. The back bolts can be a pain to get to, wish I had done the oil pan when I had the transmission off and could really twist my engine back. But- this is why you buy high quality products with high quality control, this was no more difficult to put back on than the oem pan. Oil setup checked off the list and we are moving forward. Next comes headers and fuel system.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:16 AM

Pan is 1/8" thick and flange is 1/4" thick. This thing is amazingly high quality, everything you can want in an aftermarket parts company killer bee provides, excellent customer service, willing to deal with customers and answer all their questions, oem level of fitment, serious r&d and engineering, reliability, excellent pricing, and most importantly a superior product. I was completely ready to spend big bucks on a cosworth oil setup but felt the killer bee product was superior and am glad I went in the direction I did. That is why I included quotes from my emails with Chris, as I truly believe this is a superior product. I think the results and reliability of using name brand components from reputable manufacturers utilizing correct engineering and r&d programs. I think too many builders do not focus on the big picture and lose focus on the integration of the parts selection. It is how the parts work together that make a functional, potent, and enjoyable end product to attack the tarmac with. Hopefully those following this build, and the end performance capabilities of the car after is dialed in will buy name brand products instead of used and worn out second hands parts or even worse, knock off parts that don't even function as good as oem (I.e. eBay tmic, mishimoto radiators etc.). Its an expensive hobby but the results of doing the job properly are always much better than doing it with knock offs. I will take less functional parts over a mile long spec part list of knockoffs that destroy my reliability and work less well than the oem.

I literally can not say enough about my experience with killer bee and Chris. I will definitely use them in the future for any parts I can. Great outfit.

Minor Update- just talked with THMotorsports and they will be sending me the correct Aeromotive Fuel System setup and letting me send back the old one. No fuss, no hassle, great customer service and great prices. Looking forward to getting this so I can get the engine re sealed up and running.

Also, forgot my camera at the house but just received a lovely aluminum battery mount for my odyssey pc680 battery. I have not yet decided whether I will relocate the battery under the passenger seat or the trunk. I am not sure if the battery will fit under the seat with super low seat rails and mounts that I will be having GST Motorsports fabricate and install. Pics to come soon.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Newest part acquireed to address my cooling system needs. Grimmspeed 160 degree thermostat.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 AM

Installed my upgraded Grimm Speed 160 Degree thermostat today. In line with completely upgrading my cooling system, this will join a host of other parts to give my wrx increased thermal control and heat rejecting capabilities. All turbo cars run hot, especially when you up the power, and I want my car to be able to be run hard regardless of the weather. Install was very easy, literally took just a few minutes. Just make sure the pop valve is located correctly on top. This will join the crawford high capacity water pump, koyo radiator, upgraded radiator caps and water wetter, ducting, etc. to significantly increase the heat rejection capabilities of the system, and allow me to drive the car harder and longer at these increased power levels.

Old 08-13-2012, 11:18 AM

Next project on the list is assembling the Stoptech BBK. It is only the 328mm as I got it used, but will be easily upgradable to the 355mm kit as soon as I wear through a set of rotors. Here is a sneak peak of the build quality of these rotors for those that are not familiar, very thick, beefy, and well contsructed. Very excited for what these brakes, combined with the amazing calipers, will do for my overall braking. Plus, I conferred with stoptech about a rear brake upgrade (i.e. brembos) in the rear, and they assured me their kit, as with all their kits, was engineered to provide optimal braking and bias with the rear brakes factory, and did not recommend the brembos at this time. When I upgrade to the 6 speed with Brembos, I was recommended to upgrade to their 355 mm kit to keep the bias correct. Here is some pictures of their patented Aerorotor 2 piece front fully floating rotors.

More pics of mockup on car to come.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread