Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Car Info: 03 subaru wrx
Rest of hub looks good. I will be replacing all the wheel bearings at this time, good preventative maintenance for this car in anticipation of high g loads from my massive sticky tires.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Picture of disassembled front suspension. Moving forward with disassembly.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

With the suspension completely disassembled, it is time tear into the engine bay disassembly. I am completely confident in the suspension arena, but am taking my time and marking everything in the engine bay to aid in reassembly. As I work full time and working on this out of my spare time, it can take a while before reassembly, and don't want to forget anything. Here is a final view with just the OEM TMIC removed.

Removing the OEM Turbo for a bigger, more aggressive unit. After much consultation with LIC Motorsports and Full Race I have decided to go with a Garrett GTX 3071 turbo for my horsepower goals. I really hope my transmission holds up until I can purchase a six speed and then I can take advantage of the diffs and stronger gears. I must say, for the amount of miles my car has the turbo looks amazing, practically zero oil, no shaft play, the oem unit sure is durable.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:21 AM

And the empty space waiting to be filled with a massive Garrett GTX 3071. I sure hope I didn't go too big, and that the superior aerodynamics and efficiency of the garret chra and ball bearing construction will keep me happy with its throttle response. I will be doing a few other things to attempt to minimize the lag and maximize my boost onset and throttle response. We will see, if its too laggy I guess I will have to upgrade to a 2.5 block when I do the transmission.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:24 AM

Removal of turbo system as well as radiator. All hoses numbered to tagged to aid in reassembly.

Next is the removal of the intake manifold. I decided to remove the intake manifold, fuel rails, and tgv's as one piece, then disassemble on the bench. In its place will go APS TGV Deletes as well as an Aeromotive fuel system and Perrin 3 inch silicone inlet. Quite a few hoses and connectors to unhook, take your time and tag to aid in reassembly. I must say the engine bay is looking awfully pretty with everything removed and just the bare engine remaining. I am fighting the urge to throw pistons, headgaskets, and head studs on the ej205 even though I know it would be better invested in an ej257.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:25 AM

The pile of parts has finally reached the point I can begin reassembly. Huge thanks to Adam at LIC Motorsports for taking the time to discuss my project goals and figuring out a parts list that would meet my current goals, and support future build progress with minimal need for repurchasing parts. I am a firm believer in buying the correct parts the first time, huge thanks to Adam for taking the time to come up with a parts list for a car that I am doing all the work on (i.e. they won't be able to work on it).

APS TGV Deletes- Next step going to have to port match these to the intake manifold and cylinder head. Wish APS was still available here in the U.S. They make some high quality, functional, affordable parts.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Relied heavily on advice from both LIC Motorsports and Full Race Motorsports. Many thanks to both Noah and Raffi for the time they took to come up with a system of parts to meet my track and tarmac goals.

Tial BOV- This unit reeks of quality. Amazing unit

And my centerpoint for power- an ATP GTX 3071 stock location turbocharger. I'm really excited with this turbo, due to the efficiency of the garrett dual ball bearing design and aerodynamics, is as big of a turbo as you can run while still having good throttle response and lag, while still making around 325 whp on a low reading dyno, hopefully higher. Turbo exhaust housing is Ceramic coating to aid in spool and reduce underhood temperatures. At the conclusion of this build after a protune I will post up pictures of the dyno graph for those that are interested or considering this turbo. Thank you raffi at full race motorsports.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:26 AM

And some ACT goodness to help harness all this power

Old 08-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Top quality turboback 3" exhaust system by APS. Looking forward to experiencing the performance that APS brings to the table with their top quality parts.

Perrin Equal Length Header and APS Up-Pipe. Header, Up-Pipe, and Downpipe all received Swaintech White Lightning Ceramic coating to keep as much enthalpy in the exhaust gas as possible as well as control underhood temperatures. These parts will also be wrapped in DEI Titanium Exhaust wrap to maximize the effects, having to do everything possible to spool up this monster of a turbo with my measly lil 2 liter.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:28 AM

Everyone who has driven the wrx in anger on track or even aggressively on the street knows how woefully inadequate the oem brake package is at stock power levels. With my drastically upgraded suspension and power levels, it would be foolish not to give stoptech a call and throw on a balanced big brake kit. I am looking forward to these, combined with stainless lines all around, stoptech pads front and rear, and motul fluid, to really throw me forward in my seat when I need the whoa pedal.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM

While I have the hubs off it is time to do some preventative maintenance in anticipation of the increased loads I will be putting the car through on and off track. Front and rear hubs received brand new wheel bearings courtesy of Subaru, and the soft, squishy OEM rear trailing link hub bushing was replaced with a spherical bearing for increased response. Anyone who wonders about this modification should slide a jack under their hub and start jacking up, the jack will move almost 3/4 of an inch before it moves the hub itself, squishy bushings are the enemy of response.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM

Some Love Packages from the good guys over at LIC Motorsports. Excellent shop, very knowledgeable group of guys that will take the time to sit down and discuss the goals of your project and come up with a list of parts that will meet you goals. And if you ever can't do the work yourself on the car these guys are as good as they come. Can't say enough good things about Noah and Adam at LIC.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 AM

Brand New OEM STI aluminum front control arm. I had the extended ball joints fron the Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit pressed in, as well as a set of spherical bearings for the forward bushing on the control arm. Purchased these high quality sealed, spherical bearings from Robert Fuller at Robispec. The control arm will be outfitted with the Whiteline ALK (Race version) pictured on the previous page when installed. Robispec has an amazing array of parts for the Subaru Market, much more than is on his website. Another mainstay of the industry that took time out of his busy day to not only get me set up with the correct setup, but also discussed rim sizes and offsets to maximize my contact patch with the least effect on my scrub radius. Can't say enough about Robert Fuller over at Robispec, thank you very much for both the parts and ideas.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

Brand New OEM STI aluminum front control arm. I had the extended ball joints fron the Whiteline Roll Center Correction kit pressed in, as well as a set of spherical bearings for the forward bushing on the control arm. Purchased these high quality sealed, spherical bearings from Robert Fuller at Robispec. The control arm will be outfitted with the Whiteline ALK (Race version) pictured on the previous page when installed. Robispec has an amazing array of parts for the Subaru Market, much more than is on his website. Another mainstay of the industry that took time out of his busy day to not only get me set up with the correct setup, but also discussed rim sizes and offsets to maximize my contact patch with the least effect on my scrub radius. Can't say enough about Robert Fuller over at Robispec, thank you very much for both the parts and ideas.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:32 AM

Progress has slowed this week, doing a ton of odds and ends on the car in preparation for the build. Waiting on some special order left hand threaded nuts to arrive for my Poltec Lateral Links, as I feel both ends should use this attachment method. Waiting on my rear differential bushing to arrive from TIC then the rear end should be just about done, will post pics up in the next day or two, starting to look pretty sweet with all the aluminum links instead of heavy old stamped steal and soft rubber bushings. Here is where I am at with the motor, ACT Prolite flywheel and clutch are installed, just arranging a time that works with a friend of mine to give me a hand lifting the old 5 speed back into position. Thought about doing it myself like with my 240sx, but didn't want to take the chance on bending the pressure plate. Here is where we sit, its a shame to hide that flywheel and clutch, both would like great as a wall decoration in the garage.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:33 AM

Well I've been lagging a bit, life came along and I haven't had the time to tear into the car. Had some final background interviews for hopefully my soon to be career, which will give me a nice raise in salary for fun stuff, like an upcoming 6 speed swap. Good news teardown of the car is mostly complete, now comes reassembly. It's been a bear trying to arrange the time between work, interviews, and my friends schedules to get an extra set of hands over here to help guide my tranny back in so the front end can be reassembled. So to stay busy I've begun reassembly of the rear end of the car. Dropped the Rear Diff mustache bar to install TIC Race Rear Diff Bushings.

And here is a picture of the mustache bar. This is the last time you will see this flexy rubber back here. If you haven't replaced these bushings yet, I highly recommend the TIC bushings. Easy to replace, and considerably stiffer than the OEM Subary rubber. I was shocked at how much I was able to deflect these with just my bare hands, note the open voids in the bushing making it even easier. I haven't had a chance to press out the oem bushing, so this is where it sits now, awaiting assembly.

Quick Reply: Soccer05 Bugeye GTX 3071 Street Track Build Thread