Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

My WRB 2011 WRX hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:03 AM

Car Info: 11 OBP WRX SEDAN
Originally Posted by AllAnIllusion

Nice, how are you liking the setup? I think it's a great alternative to coilovers.
I love drop it gives and how smooth the ride is. Now I just need find some new wheels
Old 06-13-2013, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 2011 Subaru WRX 5 Door
Cobb DP getting picked up this week, going to stage 2 soon. Any advice/warnings/words of wisdom? Besides getting a custom tune that is, lol, I know that's something I need to do, will be running OTS map for the time being, hopefully custom tune within a month or so. I do want to get fuel pump and injectors before custom tune. Also considering clutch upgrade, anyone care to recommend a good one?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:38 AM

Considering this kit
Competition Clutch Stage 2 Steelback Brass Plus Clutch Kit w/ Flywheel Subaru Models (inc. 2006-2013 WRX / 2005-2009 Legacy GT) 15026-2100 at RallySportDirect.com

Or this with the Exedy flywheel
http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Exed...2009-Legacy-GT
Seems a Stage 1 clutch/flywheel is all I'd need but the stage 2 Competition Clutch and flywheel combo is a little less expensive

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 06-14-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 02:39 PM

After talking with FLI in Santa Rosa, CA (where I plan on getting tuned) they have talked me out of fuel system upgrades and clutch upgrades. Planning on custom Stage 2tune but they did say they tune for Stage 2.5 (Turbo back plus uppipe and equal or unequal length headers), anyone running a similar setup? Thoughts on equal vs un-equal length headers?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:04 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Paint that intake black. Look way better under the hood.

Go talk to a local tuner... i.e. FW Motorsports.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:05 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
Can't wait for pro tune. After debating on future mods since going to stage 1 the only future power mods I plan on (at least for now, lol) are DP and pro tune for a "proper" stage 2. I still want to do a few smaller mods, engine mounts, maybe sway bars, I'll keep adding the small things, but I'm just about there for power. Keeping her my DD so I don't see crazy power in her future.

And thanks! I like to do what I can myself or with the help of a friend. I didn't do everything myself. Had my struts put on at a shop, had never replaced struts and didn't want to start on this car, lol. If I think I can bolt it in/on without hurting anything I'll usually try though.
If you're going to stop there with mods... finish getting your parts. Put them all on. Then get a pro tune. Getting tuned and then adding a DP later just means you'll need to retune. Waste of $500.

Spend that $500 on sway bars and endlinks.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by OneManArmy
If you're going to stop there with mods... finish getting your parts. Put them all on. Then get a pro tune. Getting tuned and then adding a DP later just means you'll need to retune. Waste of $500.

Spend that $500 on sway bars and endlinks.
Oh yeah, I've been waiting on a tune until I get my downpipe which I just picked up yesterday. Putting it on this weekend and will be running OTS map until I get pro tuned which I'm setting up for early July. The OTS map was just fine for Stage 1 but I'm definitely getting pro tuned for Stage 2, like you said, no reason to get tuned twice. Sway bars/endlinks will most likely be next upgrade.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:02 PM

Put on my Cobb downpipe and Cobb BPV today, running Cobb ots Stage 2 ACN + AEM map until I get tuned (hopefully within the next 2-3 weeks). The car really feels great so far, unfortunately it started raining pretty good so I haven't had the chance to have any real fun yet. I'm running the bpv fully recirculated and it still gives me some of that great "woosh" noise which is a nice bonus as I didn't expect to hear it at all running full recirculation. I didn't plan on getting an aftermarket bpv but had a chance to pick this up from a friend basically brand new for a great price so I couldn't pass it up. It's a very high quality piece especially compared to the cheap plastic stock bpv and it looks good too.

The downpipe was fairly easy to install but I highly recommend having a friend to help and definitely remove the intercooler, it's super simple to take off (3 bolts) and makes the install much easier. I had the luxury of using a friends lift at his shop but you could do it in your driveway on ramps without much hassle. I'll post some pictures later and my thoughts once I get to really drive it.
Attached Thumbnails My WRB 2011 WRX hatch-image-1237372430.jpg   My WRB 2011 WRX hatch-image-2677931920.jpg  
Old 06-24-2013, 06:04 PM

^ These are just a couple quick shots, one of the bpv and then the stock DP vs Cobb DP which was heat wrapped when I bought it
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Changed the oil and went for a nice drive finally. Seriously loving Stage 2. The jump from stock to Stage 1 was nice, it smoothed out the power band and it's great to have the compensation for our garbage fuel here in CA but overall the difference was fairly minimal. The jump from Stage 1 to Stage 2 was very noticeable, nice torque off the line and it pulls all the way to the shift point. I'm hitting all my targets and the car is running fantastic with the Cobb OTS map. I do have an appointment for a pro tune coming up pretty soon so I'll update after that.

EDIT: Holding off on pro tune for a while, want to acquire headers. Going to go with Tomei UEL me thinks, don't want to lose that rumble and I'm not targeting big #s that would require ELH.

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 08-06-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:12 PM

After taking some time to decide on what I want to do before the pro tune I've settled on some mild upgrades and am booking my pro tune this week, hopefully will have it done by February. Not going with headers as I had previously planned. Doing Stoptech SS brake lines, Grimmspeed master brake cylinder brace, Cobb crank pulley and Cobb EBCS. Had some boost creep issues recently so the pro tune is actually going to happen. I'm done dealing with this OTS stage 2 map. Will update after the tune with numbers and my impression of the car with the new additions.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:26 PM

Car Info: a Scoobie
After taking some timeof but wheelsecide on what I want do before the pro tune I've settled on some mild upgrades and am booking my pro tune this week, hopefully will have it done by February. Not going with headers as I had previously planned. Doing Stoptech SS brake lines, Grimmspeed master brake cylinder brace, Cobb crank pulley and Cobb EBCS. Had some boost creep issues recently so the pro tune is actually going to happen. I'm done dealing with this OTS stage 2 map. Will update after the tune with numbers and my impression of the car with the new additions.
Really nice car dude! I gotta say im quite jealous of ur wheels. I've wanted matte black or black chrome RPF1s. Ur car is sweet dude.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by bayuncotracho99
Really nice car dude! I gotta say im quite jealous of ur wheels. I've wanted matte black or black chrome RPF1s. Ur car is sweet dude.
Thank you very much. I'm having a lot of fun with it and have been trying to come up with a good combination of parts to make it a little more fun but still keep it a legit daily driver as we have a new addition to the family due in June. Hoping this setup gets me where I want. Only things left I really want to do are sway bars and sub-frame brace, looking to the summer for those. And the RPF1s I love! Such a great looking wheel, hope you end up getting the set you want
Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 PM

Installed the Grimmspeed Master Brake Cylinder Brace today. It took about an hour and a half to install with the help of a friend. I took off the intercooler to get more space to work with. I highly recommend doing this, 3 bolts and 5 minutes is well worth it for the extra room. My WRB 2011 WRX hatch-image-417853024.jpg Look at all that extra room! Grimmspeed has a great video online which explains the whole process and made the install really easy. I couldn't find the flexible joint for my wrench but, thanks to removing the intercooler, I was still able to reach everything and get the brace on just fine. Don't forget it though! Not having it really made two of the small bolts a pain to get back in. We could have easily done this in under an hour if I hadn't lost that, it's really not difficult. Unless you forget the tools you need and make more work for yourself. What kind of jerk does that?! Here it is installed. My WRB 2011 WRX hatch-image-3022946426.jpg First impressions: The brace seems to be very well made. The fit is great, I didn't need to tweak the brace or any of the plastic brackets that hold the fuel lines to get everything in place. Pedal feel is definitely increased and noticeable during normal driving and spirited driving but don't expect a night and day difference or you may be a little let down. No more feeling like you're pressing your foot on a sponge! I don't know if this brace helps the overall braking distance of the car (I doubt it) but you do get more feel from the pedal. For the low cost (around $100) and ease of installation I would recommend this to anyone looking for a cheap upgrade and/or something new to do to their car. I'm happy with the performance results and it adds just a little bit of flash to the engine bay.

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 01-20-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:38 AM

Installed the Cobb crank pulley, Cobb EBCS, StopTech SS brake lines, plus all new Motul fluids (did 30k fluid changes early at 23k) and got my tune at Fine Line Imports in Santa Rosa, CA. Keeping daily driver duties in mind the car is now making 267 WHP and 280 WTQ and it just feels great to drive! The staff at FLI are super nice and very knowledgable, I couldn't be happier with my experience there. Will post the graph and some pics later.

Last edited by AllAnIllusion; 01-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.

Quick Reply: My WRB 2011 WRX hatch