Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

Hybrid build! VALVETRAIN opinions needed..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
Hybrid build! VALVETRAIN opinions needed..

Howdy all looking to get some advice for my current/ongoing hybrid build.. I'm most of the way there and I've already decided on the majority of parts etc. however I'm still open to all ideas so if you'd like to share please do..

My main/final question is with the valve train.. SO I'm looking to gather as many opinions on how to build my 2.0 heads since its all going to be out and I'd like to address as much as possible while its accessible... cams or no cams.. that is the question

The build is going to my DD so keep in mind smog/semi decent mpg/a fun powerband are all things I'd like to keep within reason(although I'm pretty willing to go all out just not full blown daily racecar lol..) 300+-400 whp/tq is my goal depending on fuel/turbo and a reliable/fun/fast DD

Currently the motor build will look mostly like:
-Car 05 WRX Wagon
-05 EJ257 sleeved block bored to 99.75
-je hybrid pistons 99.75 for 8:5:1 CR
-09 sti crankshaft
-manley turbo tuff rods
-05 2.0 heads NON AVCS
-BC 272 cams non avcs (OR something else.. Kelford/gsc/cosworth?)
-BC springs/retainers (OR something else..)
-Supertech +1mm intake/exhaust valves (OR something else..)
-sti oem 11mm oil pump
-sti oil pan
-killer b oil pickup
-AOS

Other relevant parts:
-pnp vf-34 (will be upgraded to 20G eventually i.e dom3 xtr)
-pnp manifold/x pipe from GS (most likely upgrade to EL eventually)
-coated 38mm GS/Tial EWG
-pnp/coated intake manifold
-composite TGV deletes
-09 sti tmic
-DW 750cc injectors (most likely upgrade eventually for E85)
-cobb intake/airbox
-turbosnart kompact bpv
-walbro 255 fp
-GS EBCS
-turboback etc

With all of that said.. I would love to hear opinions on other hybrids/builds etc. and ESPECIALLY if you have any experience doing cams/anything valvetrain related. Please post your setup/turbo (dyno graphs if you have em..) and how the build turned out in terms of drivability/response/spool and everything else you think I may want to know.

Again this will be a DD.. so I'm semi on the fence about picking cams and moving my powerband somewhere I may not be as happy with.. and then living with the expensive consequences. Initially I set out to create an ultimate response setup but I'm willing to change it up as long as I dont lose all low end tq and have an inaccessible top end.. FYI E85 IS an option for me and like i said I will be upgrading to a 20g/6 speed eventually after break in etc... SO PLEASE SHARE Thanks fellas!

Last edited by RAWeiss; 01-25-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:36 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
No cams. For some time now most manufacturers have been having quality issues. BC's cams and valvetrains are especially junk. It's to the point where many shops are advising to keep stock cams even on high power builds.

Also, without dual AVCS you don't need the larger oil pump.

Last edited by Brfatal; 01-25-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
No cams. For some time now most manufacturers have been having quality issues. BC's cams and valvetrains are especially junk. It's to the point where many shops are advising to keep stock cams even on high power builds.

Also, without dual AVCS you don't need the larger oil pump.
Thanks for the input, I'm really torn but yes I would definitely consider stock cams still even know I didnt mention it.. both for the massive savings in fund$ for the build that I could put toward a turbo or transmission AND that they'll definitely give me the most DD low end power + torque i figure.. or get tomei poncams if i could even find them

BUT with it all out I'd hate to finish and wish I had done some cams afterward, I know to some BC is iffy in terms of quality but I do know others running them who've made close to 400whp with BC 272's/hybrid/20g so.. in a way thats motivation for me too thanks again, keep it coming people!
Old 01-25-2015, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
You can always buy more parts later to help with the build. But you also port your heads to help with more flow. This way if want to upgrade later on, you can always just buy parts and not have machine shop down time.

I am in the process myself of assembling my fully built motor with similar mods. I'll be running full Brain Crower valvetrain setup. 280 cams, standard size valves, bc springs and retainer all held down with arp headstuds. But im shooting for alot more horsepower. looking to hit 550-600. running a twinscroll gtx3582
Old 01-25-2015, 08:48 PM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru WRX
i'm in the same boat; gonna go the hybrid way and i have way less knowledge, but may i ask why the 11mm oil pump? If you're going non avcs but still only revving up to 7k, shouldn't that be fine?
Old 01-25-2015, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by xhengmanx
You can always buy more parts later to help with the build. But you also port your heads to help with more flow. This way if want to upgrade later on, you can always just buy parts and not have machine shop down time.

I am in the process myself of assembling my fully built motor with similar mods. I'll be running full Brain Crower valvetrain setup. 280 cams, standard size valves, bc springs and retainer all held down with arp headstuds. But im shooting for alot more horsepower. looking to hit 550-600. running a twinscroll gtx3582
Originally Posted by Holdenian
i'm in the same boat; gonna go the hybrid way and i have way less knowledge, but may i ask why the 11mm oil pump? If you're going non avcs but still only revving up to 7k, shouldn't that be fine?
Nice Anthony I remember you showing me that garret housing/awesome two scroll up pipe when I grabbed the seats looking forward to it! But yeah good point there's always the future for head work/really big turbo and plenty of time

Holdenian glad to hear you too lol, you're right 11mm oil pump isn't necessary just had it there cause I considered it/have one available, ill let yu know when it's all done!
Old 01-26-2015, 11:48 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
Why not like a 3071 stock location and low boost tune it?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Heedz
Why not like a 3071 stock location and low boost tune it?
Yeah I considered it, no reason not to I guess but I don't want to go quite that big, I'd rather go with a dom 3/E85 and just call it a day now I'm thinking lol, I'd still probably save $ on it instead of the valve train
Old 01-26-2015, 08:19 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Originally Posted by RAWeiss
BUT with it all out I'd hate to finish and wish I had done some cams afterward, I know to some BC is iffy in terms of quality but I do know others running them who've made close to 400whp with BC 272's/hybrid/20g so.. in a way thats motivation for me too thanks again, keep it coming people!
BC 272s are more bark than actual bite. They had very little to do with their results.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
BC 272s are more bark than actual bite. They had very little to do with their results.
true could have been, that car also saw the strip and thats not exactly the driving i'll be doing hell i may never make it to the strip, i want response hence my thread debacle

anyone else?