Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

GF Impreza Baja California Racecar Project

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:06 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Outback Sport
GF Impreza Baja California Racecar Project

Last summer I drove my dad's Nissan Armada from Atlanta to California and back. I did a lot of camping and offroading along the way. Having only owned a Miata and done track stuff before, I haven't really done much driving involving anything other than pavement. I recently bought a 2000 Impreza OBS with 180k miles on it with hopes of building something a little different and, if possible, go back to California next summer (2016).

I'm a college student at Georgia Tech on a moderately tight budget so this build can't get out-of-control expensive. It's also probably going to become my daily driver so it's gotta be pretty reliable as well. I've been planning for about three months and have a pretty good idea of what I want to build. I'm planning to use Legacy and Forester parts to get a 2" lift (3" over stock Impreza). For baja racing I need to have as much compression as I can, but I don't want it to drive like a truck or a boat. I need adequate ground clearance as well for rocks and stuff. I want to fit some pretty grippy tyres too, so I'll have to do some cutting I'm sure.

I've been designing a tube steel front bumper/light bar and a roll cage. I'm going to try to maximize interior space and comfort while retaining a sturdy, functional cage. I'd like to design a rear tyre mount and bumper as well. I've got a lot of other interesting interior mods/ideas I'm planning too.

I eventually would like to swap for an EJ25 turbo, but I'm not sure if that's going to happend any time soon. The EJ22 I've got is in really good condition for its mileage as well.

I hope you enjoy my pictures and my build. I'd love to hear suggestions or advice. I've never done anything as in-depth as this before, so this will be fun.

I'm not sure how to add photos off my computer and imgur never works for me so until I figure that out here are my photos:
https://flic.kr/s/aHskm7kg4A

Last edited by leftcoast; 10-05-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:41 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
for a 180k on it, car looks pretty clean!

In for updates.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:13 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza Outback Sport
Part I:
Stripped pretty much all of the interior except for the dash. Removed lights to wetsand and polish. Also removed hood, trunk, and mirrors. Now that the interior is gone, I'm beginning to take measurements and design my roll cage. It's going to extend from the front all the way into the trunk, so it's going to have to be a completely custom design. I'm taking some influence from other cars on the forum as well as RA cars. The cage is going to be almost RA spec! If anyone has suggestions on a paint color or livery I should use, I'd love to hear what you think!
https://flic.kr/s/aHskm7kg4A