Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread

Old 06-09-2014, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 0[[XXXXoXXXX]]0
Finally did more than gas/maintenance...

Picked up a near new set of 225/45-17 bridgestone potenza 960as's on '07 7-spoke WRX wheels painted matte black...looks sweet, drives GREAT. The shimmy is gone that used to be there even driving straight, etc. SOOO nice to have decent rubber...

Name:  IMG_5414_zps0ab1c5a3.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  82.0 KB

Wheel gap exaggerated due to suspension droop during swap over...
Name:  IMG_5416_zps92e5c305.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  79.1 KB

Last edited by oaklandish_WRX; 06-09-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: idjit
Old 07-15-2014, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by oaklandish_WRX
Finally did more than gas/maintenance...

Picked up a near new set of 225/45-17 bridgestone potenza 960as's on '07 7-spoke WRX wheels painted matte black...looks sweet, drives GREAT. The shimmy is gone that used to be there even driving straight, etc. SOOO nice to have decent rubber...
Aaaannd, 1,000 miles later, a sidewall blows out on an exit ramp Off to the tire shop for some new shoes. Same size, Kumho Ecsta 4X, A/S performance. Nice so far, usual squirm and still breaking them in . Well, there goes the mod budget for a while!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Installed the whiteline front end link bushings with new metal tubes in OEM wagon links. Install pics and review here . Nice so far. Bit of added nvh, but to be expected.

Old ones were pretty well shot, dry rotted, decaying.

edit: Front bar is SOOOO much more effective now. Love it. highly recommended.
Attached Thumbnails The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread-image-823682006.jpg   The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread-image-1697913207.jpg  

Last edited by oaklandish_WRX; 08-14-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: linkies added
Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
The all metal ones are even more harsh, but totally worth it. The Perrins with the heims were almost a bit brutal (but also telepathic in response), so the Whitelines with the poly bushings were an improvement
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by 04GG
The all metal ones are even more harsh, but totally worth it. The Perrins with the heims were almost a bit brutal (but also telepathic in response), so the Whitelines with the poly bushings were an improvement
Yeah, heard nothing but problems with heimed perrins. Plus texa$! I'm happy with the inserts.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Nuttin' special...04/05 fabric sun visors so I don't feel like I'm in a rented Yaris.

Thinking about some aero mods to combat dense winter air loss of MPG.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:59 AM

Santa saw I was a good boy this year and is gonna hook me up with something like these gems...
Attached Thumbnails The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread-abrwpdq.jpg   The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread-crucialll.jpg  
Old 12-10-2014, 03:46 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Santa saw I was a good boy this year and is gonna hook me up with something like these gems...
Finally!
Old 12-10-2014, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by de_engineered
Finally!
****, I know right?
Old 12-11-2014, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

****, I know right?
Lolz.

In the meantime, I've accumlated a complete set of intake parts, so I can send the lot off to be taken care of, and only expereince the downtime of taking off the old and putting on the new (and to sell the old for much the same purpose).

I'm curious to see what first hand accounts you'll have of the PnP. I've faith in it, but wana see just how strong the powah will be...
Old 12-11-2014, 02:36 PM

Lolz.

In the meantime, I've accumlated a complete set of intake parts, so I can send the lot off to be taken care of, and only expereince the downtime of taking off the old and putting on the new (and to sell the old for much the same purpose).

I'm curious to see what first hand accounts you'll have of the PnP. I've faith in it, but wana see just how strong the powah will be...
Yeps, I'm DIY PNP-ing a TB and the TMIC elbows as seen above here, plus Mishi Silic. TMIC hoses on the intake side. I *plan* to do the headers, UP, X-pipe and intake stuff in one big mod party, so hard to pin down impact of any one improvement.

Butt dyno will be compared to what it is now. I'm looking for better low RPM driveability, better midrange oomph and smoother top end. And some MPG gain from losing the UP cat will be niiice.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:19 PM
VIP Member

Yeps, I'm DIY PNP-ing a TB and the TMIC elbows as seen above here, plus Mishi Silic. TMIC hoses on the intake side. I *plan* to do the headers, UP, X-pipe and intake stuff in one big mod party, so hard to pin down impact of any one improvement.

Butt dyno will be compared to what it is now. I'm looking for better low RPM driveability, better midrange oomph and smoother top end. And some MPG gain from losing the UP cat will be niiice.
SoCal Porting said they'd do my elbows for free, given the size of work I would be sending their way, but yeah, easy enough to do on your own. Forget what tools you have (just don't use a Dremel!) but I have a 1/4" die grinder and a carbide tip if you need it.

And that's true of most upgrades, doesn't make time/finanical sense to do just one thing and observe, nor to do every permutation of upgrades to see max effect per min input... It's all good idea stuff that wouldn't hurt in tandem.

Streeting is all bout the low end grunt and back in the seat stuff, agree 110%. And I like mods like this that don't just raise the ceiling, but lower the floor (make it easier to go slow, +MPG, better driveability overal).
Old 12-12-2014, 11:41 AM

SoCal Porting said they'd do my elbows for free, given the size of work I would be sending their way, but yeah, easy enough to do on your own. Forget what tools you have (just don't use a Dremel!) but I have a 1/4" die grinder and a carbide tip if you need it.

And that's true of most upgrades, doesn't make time/finanical sense to do just one thing and observe, nor to do every permutation of upgrades to see max effect per min input... It's all good idea stuff that wouldn't hurt in tandem.

Streeting is all bout the low end grunt and back in the seat stuff, agree 110%. And I like mods like this that don't just raise the ceiling, but lower the floor (make it easier to go slow, +MPG, better driveability overal).
Sing it, sister!

I get few modding days to myself, so it's a marathon each time; +1 on getting spares to mod off-car then just install.

I did the TMIC elbers and TB with a dremel and stones/cartridge rolls/flap wheels/cross-buffs and wasn't too bad, really. The TB plate I did by hand with a file so as to not bork it with power tools.

Cool that SCP will pro bono your elbow work. I was literally about to ship them my spare headers when manna came from the internet with this local guy. I'll prolly do my old elbows and TB this winter/spring and sell them to recoup costs.

kthxbye
Old 12-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Thanks, I'll shut the **** up now...

X-pipe not included...
Attached Thumbnails The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread-crucially.jpg  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:23 PM

The Crucial passgr side collector's cross-pipe inlet was a tad too small to mate up with the GS X pipe, so out comes the carbide burrs, stones and such. Also, started hacking off the heatshield tabs - eek!

Name:  IMG_5844_zps8dc1ada7.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  85.6 KB

Last edited by oaklandish_WRX; 06-16-2015 at 03:47 PM. Reason: pic link

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The down n/ dirty DIY, lil' bit at a time bugeye self-improvement thread