Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

de_engineered's de_sign de_scriptions of de_struction

Old 01-14-2016, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Change is afoot.

Moving at month's end, not too far from where I am now, but to a place without regular parking. On the agenda is getting the Camry running, which I finally have the means to do (it'll be a daily, pointed towards project build when I get more settled). Soob still lies in wait, going to house it in long term parking.

As seen above, I started tearing out the exhaust manifolds the other night as a friend wanted them for cores for ceramic coating. I don't need them as the twin scroll manifold, more of a header really, is completely different.

Getting ready for the move, I found caches of parts I forgot I even had, which sucks to not see them in use, but good to know they're there. Selling a few odds and ends from there, and otherwise (anyone need a dresser or bookshelf?).

Not much else new otherwise. Things have both never been worse, and never been better. Ahh, (mis)adventure.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:44 AM
VIP Member

Move is still afoot. Work on the WRX will continue to be on hold for various reasons, but least I've sorted out where I'll stash the car for the time being.

In lieu of packing, I happened upon all the twin scroll brackets, and got tired of getting all greased up each time I even looked at them, so got them cleaned up in the big, angry industrial washer at work. WRRRRR...

Found one of the heat shields had a crack in it, one of the mechanics zapped it back together, cool beans. The header and up pipe are completely shielded as is, so think it belongs somewhere alongside the turbo itself.

Also noticed that the stocker twin scroll turbo heat shield is a different shape than the one on my car. To be fair, could just be a JDM/STi (JDM STi?) difference, but they are very much non-identical as you can see. Mine has one side longer than the other, the JDM one has even length sides (complimenting the equal length headers lol?).

Not that this matters really, as I've a Subtle Solutions turbo chimney. When I get the rest of my parts ceramic coated, I wana have the shield itself black as well (mine is all bare metal for now, unlike the photo there), but mask off the area behind the text on the actual chimney, because shiny.

Build thread on AllTrac.net coming up soon for the Camry Trac. Will be good to back on the road again - I haven't driven any of my cars for over a year, kinda weird to think of it that way.

Name:  XxjSvX2.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  1P8FSeA.jpg
Size:  66.2 KB

Name:  OrkJrnT.jpg
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  ahho2qt.jpg
Size:  33.8 KB

Name:  p23JITU.jpg
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 02-10-2016, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Yupp, selling this car. More details to follow, and some exit thoughts too. Not permanently getting out of the Subie game, just putting it on pause for now. I've a much better idea about what I want and can get out of a car now. Thinking next one may be a swapped GF maybe? We shall see. More car stuff in general to follow in the coming months, stay tuned.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:58 AM
VIP Member

And sold!

Some closing thoughts to follow. I'm a bit bummed but also not - per my situation, I feel I made out pretty well, if obviously less than ideal (meaning a still running car I wouldn't even have to let go).

Stay tuned for what's down the road...
Old 03-01-2016, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Poll: keep my parts for a build down the road (on an order of years, like 2-3 at least, just being realistic), or sell now? I've bills and another car I'm picking up soon. Selling other stuff and still job hunting to address said bills and car, but soon I'll be out of stuff.

-DW 850cc injectors
-Walbro 255
-TGV Deletes
-Phenolic Spacers
-OEM BNIB Water Pump
-Killer B Pickup and Baffle
-The VF37 Rig et al
-Other shiz I'm forgetting

I'm thinking a GF wag with a ground-up built motor for reliability more than ponies, but still shooting for ~350 horse.

Motor would be what I wanted in the 04: EJ257 with VF37, plumbed dual EWGs maybees. E85 and 2.5L may merit it. Intake/exhaust path polished and coated - not so much ported as port matched; not big power but quick, efficient power. May opt to de-stroke even to a 2.2 for that reason.

Concept remains lowering the floor before raising the ceiling, making it easier to go slow before fast, because at day's end about 50% of driving is at 45 or less. Be interesting to get actual logs of that eventually.

Thoughts/comments/flames?

Last edited by de_engineered; 03-01-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:14 PM
VIP Member

Trouble brewing...

Name:  8oOpFQwh.jpg
Size:  102.2 KB