Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

de_engineered's de_sign de_scriptions of de_struction

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:54 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
hopefully you get this thing back on the road soon man. EJ256 lol.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2000 Legacy GT, 2000 Echo 1989 Camry All-Trac
Thanks, and high hopes indeed!

256 might be a bit generous inasmuch as I'm sticking with my ECU, so no VTEC-aru action for me just yet.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:31 AM
VIP Member

Still gathering parts and advice on the motor build. Interesting to see the width and breadth of opinions on what is great/sucks.

Getting up a Killer B oil baffle sometime this week, their pickup is likely next.

Build list is looking like so for now. Feel free to add $0.02/dickbutts etc. to it.

Once the car is rolling again, have brakes to deal with, shot rotors and pads. Looking at bigger front calipers, a few good deals to be had on those on the forums and elsewhere, but obviously have bigger problems at hand for now.

Also, sometime soon: design ideas for a quick spool valve adapted for my twin scroll, that will maintain the equal length up pipes all the way. Stay tuned...
Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM
VIP Member

Might make a seperate thread for the motor build, perhaps when I finally get around to assembly. Just gathering parts for now.

Recently got a good deal on an OEM water pump, and Killer B oil baffle. A KB or kmurphy oil pickup is next on the list, or an oil pump, whichever I can find a deal on first. Eyeing the GR 11mm pump (GDs were 10 mil), becuase because.

Last edited by de_engineered; 03-31-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Why a larger pump? Sometimes larger isn't better.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:41 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
I forget, did you also say you have the full vf 37 setup? If not maybe just go VF39 ssve yourself some $$.
Quoted from someone else.
"
I have an all stock Ver. 8 sti running the VF37 right now. I'll tell you first off you need the full twinscroll plumbing from the headers to the end of the downpipe, its all different. The kits people sell are usually $1000 or more.

Second, it makes the same power as a vf39 does.
Doesn't spool THAT much faster, even on my EJ207.

Definitely stick with the VF39 or similar derivative.

Bottom line unless your car CAME with a VF37 twinscroll setup it is not cost effective in any way to do this, you gain nothing over a VF39 except transient boost response between gears. (Keep in mind this is first hand experience, I'm not just repeating what I've been told )

That said, the OEM sti turbo's are cheap, easily replaceable and relatively reliable."
Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SkizzDawg
Why a larger pump? Sometimes larger isn't better.
True. I actually only found out about this as LIC sells the 10mm, 11mm, and various flavors of Cosworth supersized pumps. I asked about which would be best, and in usual engineer fashion I got the "you could [do any]" response, but granted the Cosys are pretty $$$. The 10 and 11 cost the same if nothing else.

I think a slightly (10%) wider bore will help me with what I'll be doing most of the time, dailying, whereas a tighter orifice might help with pressure at high RPM? Sure it could be argued either way. LIC's item description describes it as "Upgrade for 02-11 WRX and 04-07 STi, std size for 08+ STi Models."

And per the little Google-Fu I did about it, no one had any problems with one or the other, aside the usual armchair speculation, as we are doing now.

And re: the VF37 is it the whole shebang, turbo, header, up pipe, down pipe, associated brackets, etc. It is just the 4" downpipe length difference, but that's easily tackled.

I've read that exact post and others both praising and decrying it, just like any other turbo. Depends on which course you want your horse to run.

Even if it is just a slightly faster spooling VF39, it's something different, which seems a trend these days when big power is all too accessible. It's good in a way that it's a journal bearing too, in that they're rebuildable unlike a BB, and are modular IHI CHRAs so far as I know.

Peak power isn't as much a concern as is broad torque cruve, with some low end-biased grunt where possible (going 2.5 will help that). And I do plan on having an E85 "fun" tune, that could push that curve further to the left than usual

Last edited by de_engineered; 04-02-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Repeated myself, or maybe I repeated myself...
Old 04-02-2015, 08:59 AM
VIP Member

Found a good deal on a BNIB Killer B oil pickup last night on Nastysocks, en route now from Land O' Lakes, which I find amusing to be a "real" place.

Oil pump (still going with 11mm) next, hunting for teh dealz there too. Found one at a dealership site new for $120ish (vs say $180 on LIC and elsewhere), but shipping is $20 also. So gathering a list of stock parts I can consolidate in the order.

Getting closer! I might even have a car this year for BAM :P
Old 04-03-2015, 06:29 PM
VIP Member

Yesterday/today: new oil drain tube w/gasket (the important part), and the Killer B oil pickup.

The pickup doubles as a flute I will have you know.

Updated the equipment list a bit, kinda straddling the as-is vs what I want/have planned.

Last edited by de_engineered; 04-03-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

About 3 weeks since last update, this is positively lightning compared to historical pacing.

Nothing new by way of parts, just ejamacting myself on how a motor gets built, even if I'm not going to do a lot of that work. It's nice to understand what's going on, and what I can throw in there to make the best of starting from almost the ground up.

For one thing, I wana throw on a
block heater block heater
. Not that it ever gets really cold where I live, but to expedite the warm up process appeals to me. The car does run nicer after getting nice and toasty, this much I have observed. Also, if I have any E85 left in the tank, it'll help with those cold starts.

Also, still trying to figure out what's involved, I may be able to repurpose my TGV motor wires to run AVCS. I'm putting in TGV deletes anyway, so if this is doable, and without this JDM ECU stuff I keep seeing vaguely alluded to, I might be in shipshape.

And in other news, starting tomorrow, I'm "test driving" a gig at a car shop, working just a day a week as they're closed Sundays and their normal hours overlap with my weekday job. If they like me, in a few months when my friend who works there leaves for Japan, I'll move on up to full time. Shop isn't a Subaru-specific one, but they do a lot of EJ motor swaps. This obviously will help me in my build quest, the extent of which remains to be seen in full though. Stay tuned kids...

Last edited by de_engineered; 04-24-2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 10:51 AM
VIP Member

Okkkkk...

So, little thinking aloud/notes to self.

It's looking like USDM EJ257 STi heads are my ticket.

1) USDM: Ready availability
2) EJ257 STi: Bolts right to my 255 block, and better flow, not much more expensive than 255 heads
3) Also STi bit: single AVCS. Won't be able to get dual AVCS without a lot of work - new harness, DBC conversion, etc. Having the redundant exhaust AVCS is just extra weight n crap.

...With a JDM v8 STi ECU. Fitting that I have a v8 Spec-C turbo for that (but alas I sold by v8 gauge cluster lolz).

This is subject to change, as there's a lot of a = b, b = c, :. a = c logic finding things stuffs.

Ah, another fun thing to consider - I actually have an STi hood, TMIC sprayers and all. With the STi ECU, I'm a switch way from having spray

More edits: And I just found what I was looking for...

Last edited by de_engineered; 05-02-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:06 AM
VIP Member

All I can really afford to do these days is armchair admiral about various build options, for the rex or the Trac. The later may ride again sooner fwiw, as I'm applying to work as if I already have a car, idea being within a paycheck or three, I'll have the funds to get properly rolling.

Current idea: 08 STi heads, plugged intake/exhaust AVCS. There's tricks to make that work, and I want a reversible solution, as there are standalone's such as Greddy V-Manage to control AVCS.

Parts purchases otherwise have been at a standstill, eyeing an oil pump next, and/or the block heater, relatively cheap.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 PM
VIP Member

Cuz you kids like pictures...

Name:  turb1_zpsfgkxn7tv.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  199.3 KB

TD04 (L) v. VF37 (R).

Name:  turb2_zpsjljfgpsd.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  203.1 KB

More detail.

Name:  water_zpsgc3vesb1.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  208.2 KB

BNIB water pump FTW.

Name:  drain_zpsul6mlgkz.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  269.4 KB

Turbo oil drain, new gasket.

Name:  hang_zpsxofpv9lx.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  173.2 KB

Poly exhaust hangars. Dunno if my exhaust wiggles around any more than usual, but I sure know it looks tacky when I see others do it.

Eventually...
Old 06-23-2015, 01:09 PM
VIP Member

Slighty modified copypasta from another post I made in another thread.

I'm de facto not gonna have a functioning car again til I get a singular, better job (as opposed to the three I'm rocking right now). In all semi-seriousness, anyone know anyone hiring? Can forward resume.

Background in automotive, banking/finance, journalism, audio and video editing/production. All around handy and dandy.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:28 AM
VIP Member

Name:  IMG_20160112_220242_zpsbxllucud.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  144.2 KB

What sorcery is this...?

Quick Reply: de_engineered's de_sign de_scriptions of de_struction