Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

DarkOnion's 1997 Impreza L

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
What's the "L" mean in terms of trim? Isn't it a 2.2l? What else?
Yeah. It's another designation. L's were available from 93-01. Offered in 1.8L and 2.2L NA, and the earlier ones (before 97), were also available in FWD. Like the 2.5RS, you can get them in either a coupe or sedan.

But yeah... it's one level lower than the 2.5RS. The 2.5RS, other than the displacement and trim, has a few minor differences in chassis (a few extra braces), but the chassis is more or less the same.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:10 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Originally Posted by darkonion
Yeah. It's another designation. L's were available from 93-01. Offered in 1.8L and 2.2L NA, and the earlier ones (before 97), were also available in FWD. Like the 2.5RS, you can get them in either a coupe or sedan.

But yeah... it's one level lower than the 2.5RS. The 2.5RS, other than the displacement and trim, has a few minor differences in chassis (a few extra braces), but the chassis is more or less the same.
Intresting. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-08-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by LOL VTEC
Intresting. Thanks for the info!
Yeah. For some odd reason, I think the L chassis comes out to be a little lighter than the RS'es. Could be because there was less safety equipment in earlier chassis.

My car in its current trim (w/o spare tire, tools, jack), with 1/3 tank of gas comes out to about 2700lbs.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:42 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Finally went through this whole thread.

Started it yesterday afternoon and finished this morning.

I really want to get into auto x, and track days but I have some stuff to do to my car normal maintenaince wise before I do.

The + is the wife is down to do it with me the - is the wife is down to do it with me.

LOLOLOLOL

Seriously though awesome write up. Nice to see the progress from begingin to end, and see where you were when I first got on here. Plus I will know who to look for when I come out to my first event.....
Old 12-09-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Shayhan27
Finally went through this whole thread.

Started it yesterday afternoon and finished this morning.

I really want to get into auto x, and track days but I have some stuff to do to my car normal maintenaince wise before I do.

The + is the wife is down to do it with me the - is the wife is down to do it with me.

LOLOLOLOL

Seriously though awesome write up. Nice to see the progress from begingin to end, and see where you were when I first got on here. Plus I will know who to look for when I come out to my first event.....
Nice! That sounds great. Yeah... my car is a no go for racing. Leaks a bunch of oil, but I hope to be out there in the future. Love racing!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM

First auto-x in about 3 years. I was pretty happy with the car and my runs. Over the years, the car had its fair share of degrading parts and what not. The car is by no means competitively prepped anymore. The meatier wheels and tires have been replaced with stock ones. The shocks have north of 60k miles on them, and I am positive that at least one of them is blown. Not to mention the engine and motor is starting to show signs of age. It just doesn't pull like use to. Finally, the nut behind the wheel is definitely loose, but all-in-all, the car handled like a champ given the circumstances. No complaints here.

After coming upon a little amount of money, I decided that this past auto-x would be a gift to myself. I am not oblivious that the car isn't competitive. I really just want to go out and play in the rain, and most importantly have fun. I know this sounds kind of a "last-place" excuse, but at the end of it all, this is what I have available here and now. You play the cards that are dealt to you, and sometimes you get dealt a difficult hand.

I think I put down some respectable times. There certainly were faster times and slower times. The weather was wacky. One run was nice and dry, and the next the rain was really coming down. My first run was a 47.2. Not a bad start. I followed that up with a 46.3 with a passenger. Third run was a 45.4 also with a passenger. My last run was a 44.6 with a passenger also. I definitely thought I could have trimmed some more time. On my last run, I made a slight mistake in the showcase sweeper and slightly lost control and went sideways. I think that could have easily been a few tenths.

I have this inkling that this competitive spirit is coming back to me. "I want to be more competitive." But at the same time, I am trying to suppress it. Don't get me wrong, I want to put down faster times, but right now... I don't think that's where I need to prioritize my effort. Racing is... well... expensive. Unfortunately, it's more than just the $35 entry fee. I have to take into account that, tires, wheels, brakes, etc. That stuff adds up quickly.

So for now... I'll just have to make do with what I can afford, which is just having fun.

Pics:

Run 1:

Run 1 was the first run I've done in 3 years in this car. It's nice to get back and romp on the car. It's a feeling you don't really miss. As you can see, the course is really wet. Throughout most of our run group, the rain was coming down. There's not a whole lot of drainage on the course so there were places that collected water. I have to say the run was pretty good. I definitely needed to get use to the car again. The car is a lot different than it used to be and I needed to drive the car the way it is, and not the way it was.

Run 2:

The second run was much a bit faster. I became a little more familiar with the course. I really tried my best to grasp what type of speed and what type of grip I had available to me. The good news was that even though I picked up a passenger, I was able to better my time by about a second.

Run 3:

Run 3 was pretty much the same deal. I was trying to improve on my time. I wasn't sliding around so there was certainly more grip that was available to me.

Run 4:

Run 4, I was trying to be a bit more aggressive. I already put down 3 clean times. My objective for this run was to reduce the amount of time where I was coasting (neither on the brakes or on the gas). I wanted to be on the gas more frequent, while hit the brakes a little harder and a little later. I improved on my best time and there was certainly more time available as I went a little sideways in the showcase sweeper.

Last edited by darkonion; 02-13-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM

Car Info: '01 Forester S
Damn Kev, you beat me on making a return! Wish I could afford it again but it's just too expensive nowadays. Only you single guys can do it.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Damn Kev, you beat me on making a return! Wish I could afford it again but it's just too expensive nowadays. Only you single guys can do it.
Totally understandable. I am trying to be a responsible adult and keep it more tame. Just have other financial priorities...
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM

Brand spanking new with 8 miles on it.

2014 BRZ

Old 08-05-2014, 08:26 AM

Last edited by darkonion; 08-05-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:16 AM

First Autocross of the season.

SFR Round 2 at Marina

Old 03-16-2015, 09:00 AM

SFR Round 3 at Crow's Landing