Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

is this a 450 whp reliable setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 07:05 AM
EK

Car Info: Subaru impreza sti 2004/ spec c/ vf 37 twin scroll
is this a 450 whp reliable setup?

First of all apologies if i am posting in the wrong thread and i have done alot of research regarding the below and would like you to share with me your opinion of the following as it is going to be costly and i would like to make sure that i am not throwing just some bucks in the air for nothing.

I am currently preparing for a 450 whp DD setup and engine rebuild to my 2004 Sti spec c. I am almost stock now with VF 37 twin scroll and Sti TMIC.

My tuner had first suggested some parts among which i would need insights of what to choose as i am confused and have no that long experience:

1- turbo swap into Garrett GT30 or GT30x? (both of V-band)
How would both be in terms of spooling as compared to VF37? is it true that GT30X would be slower in spooling than GT30 but capable of more HP after 1.7 bar?
2- Manley tuff or Carrillo pistons and rods?
3- HKS FMIC
4- Bosch 255 fuel pump
5- I'd 1000 cc injectors
6- EBC
7- HKS sequential dump valve
8- stanless steel HKS DP and UP and turbo back exhaust (i do have the exhaust now)
9- System link with launch and anti-lag control
10- Methanol injection
11- Tein flex suspensions
12- ACT clutch
13- Knock sensor, A/F sensor and G-Force guage

Saying the budget is not an issue, i do not really know whether above parts will get me to 450 whp or not and is it a good rebuild of the engine to hold up that amount of power? Do i need additional parts to be thrown into the basket?

Please note that reliability of the mods is my first concern and the car won't be going much into track. It will be more of a DD.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 AM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Subaru never sold the Spec C models in US and they are not importable either...soooo I presume you are taking advantage of Florida's liberal vehicle registration guidelines?

That said, 450 wheel/550+ crank hp and "reliable daily driver" should never be used in the same sentence on a 2.0L four banger (even a Spec C). I am not an expert at built engines, but may be beefier head bolts, block pinning and sleeves won't hurt if budget is not the issue? You will probably need cams and head work as well.

Personally I think it is overkill and unusable in daily driving, but that's just me. I still love to see bonkers builds. The built section on Nasioc will probably be your better bet for technical support as well...
Old 04-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
A "reliable" 450 whp is not the same as a reliable DD. He can have a setup that won't have problems all the time (hence "reliable"), but it won't be a good choice for an only car.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
I daily drive mine around those power levels and it has done great for the first 15k or so. I wouldn't call it reliable like my stock 2000RS though. If you follow alot of build threads you will see why. Some guys have better luck/builds then others but i would recommend having a backup car. It makes owning a project car alot easier.

That being said, an Anti Lag System on a street car is asking for trouble. I'm a fan of hybrid engines and would recommend going that route if you already have a 2L.
Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 AM
EK

Originally Posted by Brfatal
A "reliable" 450 whp is not the same as a reliable DD. He can have a setup that won't have problems all the time (hence "reliable"), but it won't be a good choice for an only car.
Agree.. It is going to be a second car and sorry for the confusion lets say a "street car" rather than DD. Its gona be lightly used and not in tracks all the time. With respect to cams and bolts, my tuner told me so but specified no brands and thats y i missed them from the list. Thanks for the input guys and appreciate more highlights and support from any!
Old 04-07-2015, 01:40 PM

Car Info: 04 wagon
If you plan on running meth check out the Aquamist kits. Ive had a couple of kits and the Aquamist kit is great.

Also the fmic isnt needed if your running meth. I would go with a larger tmic/meth for less lag.

Cams will shift your powerband to the right. You can hit those numbers on stock cams if you want with the octane Florida offers. Might want to check out ATP turbos also. I like my gtx3071 alot from them.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:45 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
You really have a spec-c? Huh, Florida is looking better all the time.

I built(as in picked the parts had had them put on by a local shop, lol) a Full ver7 drivetrain in my 2004 WRX making 480whp. So I guess could answer most of your questions since i was in your position. But first off, if you do this, by a DD.

Originally Posted by EK
1- turbo swap into Garrett GT30 or GT30x? (both of V-band)
How would both be in terms of spooling as compared to VF37? is it true that GT30X would be slower in spooling than GT30 but capable of more HP after 1.7 bar? I thought the only diffrence between the older GT's and the "x' is the compresser wheel? Meaning quiker spooling? I had a GT3076r on the Ej207 and loved it.
2- Manley tuff or Carrillo pistons and rods? You have the Ver8 with hypercast pistons so ya, id get some forged goodness
3- HKS FMIC I hate anything HKS, you dont need a FMIC. I ran a Spearco TMIC(witch i greatly recommend) No crap lag and all the top end power you need for the streets
4- Bosch 255 fuel pumpI ran a 340 pump for my E85 application
5- I'd 1000 cc injectorsID's are the way to go.
6- EBCMBC works fine and youll save some money
7- HKS sequential dump valveEh, pick another brand
8- stanless steel HKS DP and UP and turbo back exhaust (i do have the exhaust now)
9- System link with launch and anti-lag controlRead anti-lag greatly reduces the turbos life
10- Methanol injection
11- Tein flex suspensions
12- ACT clutch
13- Knock sensor, A/F sensor and G-Force guage
Sorry about poor grammer/spelling. Trying to type this at work lol
Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM
I survived the Mod Challenge and all I got was this lousy title

Car Info: ...zeh car drives you!
Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
You really have a spec-c? Huh, Florida is looking better all the time.
I am pretty sure you can register airline drink carts as road going vehicles there, so yeeeeaaaaaah

Originally Posted by LOL_VTEC
I built(as in picked the parts had had them put on by a local shop, lol) a Full ver7 drivetrain in my 2004 WRX making 480whp. So I guess could answer most of your questions since i was in your position. But first off, if you do this, by a DD.

Sorry about poor grammer/spelling. Trying to type this at work lol
Why no HKS?
Old 04-07-2015, 04:01 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
Originally Posted by LxJLthr
Why no HKS?
Honestly, I've never had too much expirence with HKS, just a ssqv back when i was i high school lol.

I kinda just picked up the word through the fourms and meets. Also my buddy with and Evo 8 hated HKS becasue the cams blew his motor, so prob from him complaining about it all the time, lol.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:47 AM
EK

any other feedbacks guys?

So far it looks like i will go with GT30 turbo but i have no idea how fast the spooling will be. by the way this is a single scroll turbo right? i also think will have methanol injection with I/C spray. Launch and unti-lag with System link will also be considered.

Please advise on remaining parts and if you have comments on whatever mentioned here please feel free to comment. Anyone with personal pre-experience will be a good source of adding value too.

Please guys step in and through your thouts out :-D.