Ongoing Projects Want to share your ongoing Subaru project with the rest of Subaru Community? Tell us what you did, how you did it and what else are you going to do.

1986 Subaru Leone STi TURBO

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 05:05 PM

Car Info: 04 STi/67 rotary 311/C20/DT Barracuda
wow...great build
Old 02-16-2015, 07:42 PM

Car Info: 1986 Subaru Leone STi TURBO
Originally Posted by areg
wow...great build
thank you

so decided to improve the handling of the car a bit better and I noticed the 2015 uses rear spherical bearings. I had a machine shop shave them down each side 1.5mm and made a spacer to take up the slack for pressing them in my lower suspension mount in the rear of my coil overs

locally I found a nice set of ES-Tarmac ENKEI wheels 5x100 16x8 et45 14lbs wheels, super light weight compared to my braid wheels

started to build the spare motor, Ej22T stock crank, 10mm oil pump, ACL bearings, Carrillo Rods, Wiseco pistons, cometic head gaskets, ARP Custom Age 625+, V9 STi heads, killer b pick up, and allot of new factory case bolts and plugs gaskets

Old 03-08-2015, 10:40 PM

so this is what else I'm working on at the moment along with the lower pillow ball bushing for my coil overs, I decided to get a one piece unit made so I can get rid of the rubber spacers and all that mess..

this is a prototype unit to test on the car then i can get them made up once it fits ok.

black is 80s strut mount, green is coil over mount.. needs a bit more work to be perfect fit

also found the rear garnish in japan for my car, maybe ill put it on. to many holes to drill in a clean car.

subaru 80's old meets subaru 2012 new moulded into one...
cnc billet aluminium & anodized black, now I can add a pillow ball at the top mount like the front..

next project is cnc billet aluminium front control arms with pillow ball and 1' longer so I can get some larger cv axles to with stand the abuse I am about to put down. cv axles will be new age subaru length.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:51 PM

so this is my rear top hats bolted up with spherical bearings.. the lower cups also have 2015 STi spherical bearings made buy subaru which I needed to make a spacer.

I decide to get serious with my coil-overs to make this car handle like a top notch missile and I got the GR STi Ohlins road & track set.. I have to do two mod's to make them fit perfect which is the lower rear bushing mount will be made new with a STi spherical bearing and drill the front top plates to early subaru size like leone/gc8. my reactions from just holding the ohlins is how light weight they are WOW half the weight of my hsd..

like to thank jake @ ohlins usa for hooking me up with the extend clickers also !.. there on the way.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:52 AM

Car Info: 04 wagon
Nice!
Old 03-31-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by ddavis
Nice!
thank you... excited to feel the difference

so here they are, my very own aluminium control arms like the big boy STi have. now the little Leone can be up to STi spec !
But the little Leone has 1up on the STi with the 2015 STi oem pillow ball bushing in its place

25mm longer so now I can run oem cv axles from a STi or those 800hp ones..

Old 04-02-2015, 01:39 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
wow
Old 04-12-2015, 07:44 AM

ohlins custom made for the Leone STi.. lower mount was machined new to be used with the oem 2015 STi pillow ball bushing.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:50 PM

Car Info: WRB Wagon
amazing work as usual.. keep bumping your build I'm in love with it

noticed on the first page you're running the cusco tranny/motor mounts.. how do you like them as DD mounts? have they settled in at all after some driving or still pretty stiff/track oriented? let me know thanks

Last edited by RAWeiss; 04-12-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RAWeiss
amazing work as usual.. keep bumping your build I'm in love with it

noticed on the first page you're running the cusco tranny/motor mounts.. how do you like them as DD mounts? have they settled in at all after some driving or still pretty stiff/track oriented? let me know thanks

thank you.... I would say they are still stiff the day i put them in, for a daily there all right i guess if you can live with the stiff style... i dont think they will get soft ever lol

so since I was making stuff I made pillow ball bushing inserts for my arms in the rear to give it that razor sharp handling...

cusco design

Porsche 911 has all most same design look rear arms and they also upgrade with pillow ball

Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 PM

new control arms on, ohlins on, pillow ball heim joint the hole car.... feels great now just need alignment..

was testing it on the track and she handles like a dream... only thing missing was a race seat to hold me.

2015 Sparco Grid.. so light weight from there old line up of seats.

STi axles now

more pictures and videos of my Leone on Insta-gram

https://instagram.com/pinocchio_ok/
Old 07-10-2015, 01:07 PM

so since I was on the track and all most lost a motor to a faulty oil pressure sensor leaking I decided to get some proper equipment to finish the system off and new sensors.

Radium fuel rails and Bosch FPR adapter to keep it nice and simple and in series on my spare Spec-c V8 STi intake manifold.

I can build the proper lines now then swap them on to my Leone

also finally finished my new front bumper... JDM/USDM mixed with Canada top trim and impact beam.. fully mutt now lol.

all done no more accidents please !!!... next to my favourite year Subaru 2015 got to get one of these

Old 07-18-2015, 09:01 PM

these are my new fuel and oil pressure sensors KAsensors and from just installing the oil pressure wow highly accurate

like to thank Franz @ Dieboldautosport for hooking me up with these bad boys !

Old 02-17-2016, 04:08 PM

I guess I should update this build thread since new parts are being piled up for my Subaru Leone RX TURBO STi, as of now its in storage for winter but was building the Subaru Leone TURBO WRX NB-R Wagon version which can be found here --> 92 Subaru Leone Touring Wagon - NASIOC

or insta gram https://www.instagram.com/big_bad_wolf_xo/

so I just ordered these EJ22T oil jets brand new from the dealership which if I remember right they couldn't be sold at the dealership which is a myth !.. also got the JDM STi quick steering sticker for my Leone.

out of japan I finally found one of these rare STi 6mt Short shifters which was a task and has the serial number right on it from STi factory.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:40 AM
Churro Aficionado

Car Info: IG - @TEAMMOISTOFFICIAL
That should be fun

Quick Reply: 1986 Subaru Leone STi TURBO