Anti-Freeze Leak and Possible Head Gasket Problem

Old 02-22-2017, 12:51 PM

Car Info: '97 Subaru Outback
Anti-Freeze Leak and Possible Head Gasket Problem

Hey guys,

So I'm totally new to the whole world of working on cars, mostly started because I love my vehicles and don't want to be overcharged for service fees and the such. Anyways.

I have a 1997 Subaru Outback. I haven't personally looked through it yet because my knowledge is so minimal it would be close to pointless. What I've been told is this: the car starts, has horrible gas mileage because of suspicions there is some issue with the head gasket, and that it overheats. Radiator fans looks alright, but apparently when antifreeze is poured it in leaks right out. Any advice is very welcome.

Disclaimer: if there's a term I don't know or an answer to a question I don't have, I won't waste your time by asking what something is unless I absolutely need to. I'm trying to learn, so don't have any fears about me being new to this - I'm serious about learning everything and anything I can about my car and how to work on it or diagnose an issue.

Many thanks ahead of time!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Car Info: '90 Legacy
HI,
If you Google Subaru Head Gaskets you'll find a $#!+ TON of info. UltimateSubaru.org/forum is another good site to read up on this.

Specifically, the '96-'99 Legacy Outback, LSI and GT all had the same POS EJ25D engine. It has INTERNAL HG failure issues and then rod -bearing failures due to the Overheating that usually accompanies the HG failure.

You may be able to have the HG's replaced $1500 @ a shop (find a local indie Subie shop); $2500 @ the dealer.

AS Portland is the near the center of the Subaru universe there should be plenty of shops around.

If the engine's been overheated and driven more than 1-2 times it's very likely dead internally. You can SWAP in a 2.2 engine from a '95-'98 Legacy or '95-'98 Impreza if you can find a shop to do it. The engine is probably about $500 - labor is ??

GL