Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Car Info: a car with 4 wheels
it look like last year toyota camery...the front...and the rear look like a saturn.

alan'07
Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Originally Posted by grambo
..gets out Dremel and rattle-can of BBQ black....
Agreed.... Performance wise, it sounds like the specs and ideas are all in the right place. However looks wise... well, let's just say I'm glad I've got an 04.

But if I were to get this, I would get the sedan and I would definately break out the dremel or BBQ black paint for that front grille. That thing really just needs to go. Cut that stupid chrysler-looking thing out and then put in your own mesh grille. Done. Or sandpaper down that *&#$ and then BBQ black it...

The rear tail lights.. well.. I personally think the red tails are nicer than the white ones, but I'll reserve judgement until I see it... besides, a piece of precut clear red vinyl should do the trick.

Part of the back does indeed look like a cross between a toyota and a BMW...
Old 04-11-2007, 03:22 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX
I wish Subaru would design something for us fans to get really excited about. The only thing I like about the new WRX is that it makes me feel better about owning an 04' WRX. Because the 08' is hideous and disgraceful to the Subaru name. It is basically a KIA design and all of the things I love about the WRX are gone: the mean front end, the mean back end, fender flares, and most importantly the ability to make people look and wish they owned a WRX that stood out from the crowd, not blended in. As fellow WRX owners we recognize eachother on the street and with the new 08' we will not even raise a finger to aknowledge the other driver because we will think it's just another KIA. Too bad....at least Subaru redesigns every two years!

P.S. Hold on to all hope for the STi.... completely different model maybe? Hopefully?
Old 04-11-2007, 07:28 AM

Car Info: wrx wagon 02
I hope they are doing something about the transmission on the wrx or I am going to have to buy a 04 sti instead.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 AM

Car Info: 2006 STI
Anyone notice any similarities? Lol.

http://www.rollyourfender.com/projects_files/92X.jpg

2005 Saab 92X Aero.
Attached Thumbnails Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX-92x.jpg  
Old 04-11-2007, 10:14 AM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Yep, except the Saab has a more aggressive grill....(I never thought I would ever say the previous words in my life.)
Old 04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
I have a feeling I might be visiting the dealership when the STi version is released. This sucker is really growing on me.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:30 PM

Car Info: black 06 Impreza 2.5i
It dosn't look too bad, but it just that I'm not too impress with front end design.The rear end looks ok too.I can't wait to see sti model. Is it suspose to be 3 door hatch (That will be sweet)? I would think so because they want lose weigth in the car for wrc. A plus for the 4EAT people, because if possble you can swap 08 4 speed sportshift (I know that I going try that ideal in a next few years down the road).
Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 2001RSTI
Styling is too a la SEAT Leon or Ibiza(Cupra). I am thrilled at the addition of upper a-arms to the rear suspension though. I think its easy to see where the weight loss comes from... Just look at the extensive use of plastic on the motor (intercooler, intake runners etc.)

Did You mean Pulsar(Sunny)gt...I...-r for the hood scoop styling.
Looks more like SRT-4 but at least its functional

Im glad I kept my RS and did an 04 STI conversion
Attached Thumbnails Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX-gti-r4.jpg  
Old 04-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX
Originally Posted by samurai
It kinda reminds me of either

1.) Mazda 3
I couldn't agree with you more on that one. What's up with all the chrome parts?? The sedan fairs no better than the hatch. Argh... let's see what they got on the STi...
Old 04-15-2007, 07:28 PM

Car Info: 2007 WRX Tr
I guess the hatch seems okay, more like a fun domestic car. But other than that, I really do not like them that much, to me they look like a couple of sporty Kia's. It seems they tried to do like other manufactures today do, make cars look spaceship-like hybrids. I wonder how it drives though, of course probably still amazing.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:26 PM

Car Info: The Thundercougarfalconbird
Like I said in the beginning, i'd really like to see how the sti version turns out and what the tuner community does with it. Then i'll make my decision. Right now, im kinda indifferent...
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 PM

Wow, I've cruised over to other forums to see what the general concensus of the new body style is and quite frankly it's all the same even on non-subaru boards. You guys know my feel on it, the design has as much oomph as an episode of My Little Pony and I know that the previous generations have all undergone some sharp criticism at their debut but atleast they retained some of that rally-car-inherited physique. What I think Subaru is trying to dois appeal to the masses with the Impreza but will hopefully create the Impreza STi for us apex-hungry, s-turn-craving, Petter Solberg-fanboy enthusiasts. I've noticed that most of those who "like" or "approve" of the new styles aren't enthusiasts, but average run of the mill commuters. Lets face it; we don't agree with that demographic and by that I mean that we don't think its okay to drive 65mph in the fast lane while they usually do. This new Impreza has improvements over the last generation but the aesthetics seem to appeal to a generalized demographic. I sincerely hope Subaru develops the STi for us.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:01 AM

Car Info: monster truck
Honestly.. I think that the Hatch looks a little girly.. Kinda like the Mazda 3's... im sure in time the car will grow on me.. and I may eventually purchase one...

but 50 lbs lighter with a wider wheel base sounds like this car will be a beast on the Road...
Old 04-20-2007, 01:31 PM

Car Info: '05 WRX Wagon
Ha, ha, ha. Hmmm..... I like the headlights.

The grill is ugly, they should have stayed with the mesh.
The ground effects now look like slap on parts for a Corolla S.
The fenders are no longer flaired and make the car look weak.
The ice cube LED taillights are cheesy and cheapen the look further.
The added chrome details on hatch and headlight surround detract from its rally car history and position it closer to a Ford Focus.
The Honda Civic esque wing is just plain dumpy.
The tacky looking aerodynamic black peice just below the bumper reminds me of a pontiac grand am or something. It's just a cheesy styling cue that adds nothing, and having it black rather than car color was another boo boo.

Jeez Subaru, the WRX is dead! The cult following that liked the edgy rally car has been left with a mixture of Ford, Suzuki and Pontiac. I'm the proud owner of a '05 wagon and will not be buying another WRX when I replace it.

50 lbs lighter because they chopped of it's Cajones!

Last edited by Flat4-wagon; 04-20-2007 at 03:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX