Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Sedan Prem
Thanks Alex. The pictures are far superior than any of the others available so far. They show the car's aesthetic potential much better.

I couldn't believe I was actually saying to myself, "I'm starting to like this car". With a little aesthetic tweaking the hatch will look really nice. I'm sure that there will be a grill replacement in the making even before the car is made available this Fall.

While I wouldn't run out to get one, just yet... it's growing on me. I'm truly looking forward to the STI. I'm anticipating it'll be a more aggressive styled hatch and will look more noticibly different from the 2008 WRX than previous STI have compared to the WRX. (Not a novel assessment, though.)

So now I have to decide between: 2008 R32 (requires a deposit for order - limited to 5,000) or wait for debut of STI.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Can't wait to see it in person.

Hatch or wagon I don't care what they call it
Anyone who hates it or doesn't care for it, doesn't have to get one
Old 04-05-2007, 02:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by topcover
Nice....

To me... these are hatches

The key characteristic being two doors and a "hatch"
I mostly agree, and when 5-door hatches came out, it seemed like just another term for wagon without the negative connotations. But, its just a name IMO. It doesn't change the car.

Also, this Seat Leon is a four/five door

Last edited by Nick Koan; 04-05-2007 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:53 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Originally Posted by topcover
Nice....

To me... these are hatches

The key characteristic being two doors and a "hatch"
The last one seems to be a five door? Pretty car, what is it?
Old 04-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
Never mind, it got answered while I was asking. I think the Saturn Astra looks pretty good in pics, hopefully the pics of the WRX don't do it justice. I do kinda like the sedan though, at least the profile in any case.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:22 PM

Car Info: 2004 Silver/Silver STi, '99 Ducati 900ss, Yamaha Blaster
I'm in shock...a 5 door hatch IS a Wagon...they just don't have the right designers...
I hope I like it more in person but as is I will be treasuring my beautiful '04
Old 04-05-2007, 04:59 PM

Car Info: Vishnu up-pipe, 5/64" mod
Im disapointed. I dont care for it at all. May be that will change with time? I would like to see pictures of the sedan. Hope it looks better then the "wag....I mean 5 door hatch"
Old 04-05-2007, 05:44 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
Alex, thanks.

So, for me, I see two good things here:

(1) Finally my 2004 is not the ugliest model of Impreza ever made!
(2) Given how often they've been changing the Impreza, in 2-3 years when I might buy my next one, this should be gone.

For me, the overall shape is ok, but the grill, that just kills it.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM

Car Info: 2.5L
Alex....did you catch the VIN number?
Where are these cars made in? USA or Japan?
Old 04-05-2007, 09:07 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
I am processing the sedan pics right now so they will be up in a few.

I just want to remind us all, that us Subaru guys always preach "function over fashion" mentality. So who really cares if the grill is ugly? I would not be surpirsed if the grill somehow is tied into frontal pedestrian collision protection. I do not have pics to show you, unfortunately, but the front fenders are raised by about 1-2" off the chassis. The raised part on the fender has honeycomb design. Which makes the hood sort of suspended above the chassis. So in case of a collision with pedestrian, it provides additional crumble zone. So maybe the grill is a part of that safety feature too and it HAD to be looking like that. BTW, I am not making this up about the fenders. It is straight from the Impreza Project Manager, Akihide Takeuchi. Also, just to mention, all of the head honchos from Subaru and Fuji HI Japan were there including Fuji's CEO.

Here is the difference between wagon and hatchback...

"Hatchback is term describing an automobile design, consisting of a passenger cabin with an integrated cargo space, accessed from behind the vehicle by a tailgate or flip-up window. The vehicle must have at least two rows of seats, with the rear set able to fold down to increase cargo space.

Hatchback vehicles are functionally similar to station wagons (which are intended to carry large volumes), but distinguished by a smaller load area. Some vehicles achieve this by having little car length behind the C-Pillar and thus no room for a side window over the load area. Others achieve this by a steeply raked rear window - a style also known as a liftback. All liftbacks are hatchbacks with a fastback profile.

The tailgate is also referred to as a hatch. Hatchbacks are often described as three-door (two entry doors and the hatch) or five-door (four entry doors and the hatch) cars. In Europe, city cars, superminis, and small family cars are usually hatchbacks.

Small cars often incorporate a hatch tailgate to make the best use of available space. Especially in smaller models, hatchbacks are often truncated, with the tailgate nearly vertical, to reduce the car's footprint. This is an important consideration in countries where small streets and traffic congestion are factors. Hatchbacks frequently include fold-down rear seats, which enable a substantial portion of the interior space to be used as a cargo area. Usually, the rear seat can be folded partially (for instance 1/2, 1/3 or 2/3) or completely to expand the cargo space.

Hatchbacks typically have a parcel shelf: a rigid shelf covering the cargo space that is hinged behind the rear seats and lifts with the tailgate. An alternative is a flexible roll-up tonneau cover."

"A station wagon or simply wagon in American, Australian and New Zealand usage and an estate car or just estate in British usage is an automobile with a body style similar to a sedan (saloon in British usage) but with an extended rear cargo area.

Current production Dodge MagnumCertain cars with this body style have historically been called a shooting brake, a British term. A few models are referred to as a break, using the French term, and kombi or combi, from the German term for this type, are also sometimes used.

Most station wagons are modified sedan-type car bodies, having the main interior area extended to the near-vertical rear window over what would otherwise be the enclosed area of the sedan version. A hatchback car, although meeting a similar description, would not enjoy the full height of the passenger cabin all the way to the back; the rear glass of a hatchback being sloped further from vertical, and the hatch tending not to reach fully to the rear bumper, as it commonly would in a station wagon. Station wagons also have side windows over the cargo area, whereas some hatchbacks have thick "C" pillars and no cargo area windows. Two exceptions to this rule include Rambler station wagons (1952–1962) on which the roof line subtly dipped down over the cargo area, and GM's Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser (1964–1972) and Buick Sportwagon (1964–1970) on which the rear roof section was slightly elevated and combined with four skylights; the "sportwagon" name has been popularised again in recent years by some manufacturers.

A station wagon is distinguished from a minivan (multi-purpose vehicle) or sport utility vehicle by still being a car, sharing its forward bodywork with other cars in a manufacturer's range. The popularity of the minivan in the 1980s and early 1990s is credited with the decline of the traditional station wagon."

And in terms of cool hatches only having 3-doors, that baloney... I can spend whole day listing awesome 5-door hatches.

In terms of WRX, I think it "became" a hatch for 3 reasons... 1. Sloped roof. 2. Less trunk space (to increase leg room) 3. Much less overhang of the rear bumper.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:10 PM
Admin v2.0

I did not take my normal VIN # pic, dang, forgot. But the cars are made in Japan, just like all the previous Imprezas.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:56 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Originally Posted by Imprezer
Here is the difference between wagon and hatchback...
Thanks Alex for the explanation... so... there' won't be a 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon?

"And that's why he's the Master and Commander"
Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Admin v2.0

No, there will be nothing that Subaru will call a wagon... Just the 5-door and 4-door. Hatch and sedan.

Sedan pics added. Remember, that sedan is US market only, so don't expect much parts for it that are different from the 5-door. The sedan has dual exhaust, but from the looks of it, it looks similar to the Legacy exhaust. We'll know sooner or later.

Also, the rear wishbones are stamped metal not aluminum like EVO. Don't be surprised if you see aluminum components on the STi model when it comes out...
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 PM

Car Info: 02 SILVER WRX
Sucks

all the new features arer great but who ever design the body should be shot ,they ruined the uniquness of the wrx. if u like it your probably just trying to be faithfull to the car we love. im extremly disapointed in subaru i hope it flops. to me the wrx/sti stops at 07

+1 evo
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Car Info: 2.5L
No worries Just wanted to clear the circulating rumor that the 08+ were going to be made in the Indiana plant.

Does the Sedan have LED rear lights?

Last edited by twinace; 04-05-2007 at 10:24 PM. Reason: add a question

Quick Reply: Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX