Latest i-Club Reviews, Features, and Articles Features, product reviews, tech, and news

Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Car Info: '06 CGM STI
Originally Posted by RedStage
It's all about the money. If X, Y, and Z cars sell so well, then you are going to want to take design cues from those cars to try and attract NEW buyers.

Subaru knows there current owners most likely won't trade in, and are more than likely focusing their sales towards attracting buyes away from the "Generic Designs."

Can't blame Subaru for trying to make more money.
Very true, $$$ is the name of the game. But a car company can also make money on great design and inginuity. (Chrysler 300, C6, any STI, Mini, EVO) These vehicles are decidedly different from any other car on the road and it is what makes them SO badass. It is sad that a company that brings us bug-eyed mini wagons, that looked and felt NOTHING like any other car on the road at the time, has resorted to such generic looking design.
Obviously they will change it, they always do. And maybe it will receive some aggressive changes to compliment the STI package that is Subaru's flagship in the racing world and their bragging-rights. I am sure the ChargeSpeeds and ZeroSports of the world are already getting out the fiberglass to make some mean kits for it, but I am still disappointed.
After watching the evolution of Subaru's design over the passed decade, they do seem to go through some "bland" phases. Maybe this is just one of them.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
even though I do like it, I think my next Subaru will be either a Legacy Spec-b or a Forester
Old 04-05-2007, 08:55 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Well, Subaru had a choice to make. Continue to make badass cars that truely are "legends" and attract buyers of that type, or dumb down their cars and make them look like everything else, and leave behind your whole history of innovative an different cars, to attract your average buyer.

as far as Im concerned, this "rebirth" was a stillborn....try again Subaru (but keep tweaking the engine, I'll just swap in a new engine/drivetrain every 6 years into the bugeye :banana: )
Old 04-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
There was also a new Legacy at the show, I will post up pics today. Its called 3.0R. Slightly updated front and rear.

The blue is WRB in funky lighting.

I don't expect recent STi owners "liking" the hatch. After all it would be admitting that their car is inferior in some aspects. The WRX hatch is very nice and very new. It will grow on people and overall, it is a better car. Of course, I am not comparing current STi performance to the new WRX. The NEW WRX Hatch will be totally sick. As is, the new WRX is lighter, stiffer, has power that comes on 1000RPM sooner, has better suspension design and more room. It also has much better interior and available options (Navi, Inputs, etc). The car matured a lot from previous models and it stands alone in the 5-door turbo hatch market.

But yeah, sure, its stupid and ugly and Subaru "made a mistake"... Yeah, whatever, hehe. When bug eye came out, everyone whined. When 04-05 came out, some people whined. When 06-07 came out people still whined. So in all honesty, people will always whine. I advised you all to wait to see the car in person to really like it or hate it. Internet is not a place to make quick judgements. It is a place to create interest and excitement.

Last night I also forgot to mention that the new WRX has windsheild wiper defrosters, does not have aluminum pedals and still wears the dreaded RE92's.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: RIP 04 AW WRX/ 05 CGM STI/ 13 SWP STI
Looks dope, I think I actually like it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 AM

Car Info: 1995 240sx
I think i am starting to like it already too
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
man...id trade im my04 for the hatch! its badass! i just wish the taillights were all red....
Old 04-05-2007, 12:09 PM
VIP Member

someone needs to make an aftermarket taillight kit for it and a new grille.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:17 PM
Chicks dig me. April Fool's!

Car Info: 1997 Impreza, 2014 BRZ
Aye to that. At very minimum, have the tails and grill changed.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
...is it me, or does that intercooler look smaller...and is that a plastic intake manifold?
Old 04-05-2007, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

I think the legacy has the plastic also. Not 100% though
Old 04-05-2007, 12:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by MVWRX
...is it me, or does that intercooler look smaller...and is that a plastic intake manifold?
Yeah, the intercooler and intake manifold are directly off the current Legacy GT. The intercooler is side fed instead of top down, and even though it is smaller, it flows nearly as much stock WRX TMIC. The manifold moving to plastic also gives some minor benefits. One being its lighter and it heat soaks less. Supposedly it also flows better because the inside has a smoother bore.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Red face Reserving judgement....

as far as the looks and performance goes.

But symantics aside, how is this not a "wagon"

and this not a "hatch"

Don't get me wrong, I love the wagons. I'm just trying to understand what's going on.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Car Info: Stock Legacy Turbo Wagon Silver
A "wagon" has more cargo (useful) space than a "hatch". Lol!
Old 04-05-2007, 12:56 PM

Car Info: '02 EJ25FXT Stage 2 "No Laggin' Wagon"
Originally Posted by deyes
A "wagon" has more cargo (useful) space than a "hatch". Lol!
Nice....

To me... these are hatches

The key characteristic being two doors and a "hatch"

Quick Reply: Subaru Reinvents Impreza WRX