Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 10:11 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)

Updated with new working URLs 1/06/04

Here's the pics in my gallery: https://www.i-club.com/gallery/showg...p?ppuser=10361

In my quest for better interior lighting i have tried a handful of different approaches but all failed. Bulb condoms that i purchased from partsexpress were too faint and discolored. Blue bulb condoms were hard to see and the red turned a faint brown/orange when matched with the OEM green film. Traditional LEDs were too hard to solder and far too risky.

So i finally found the best of both worlds that aren't distracting like Indiglos and they look great!

So how did i do it!?

INSTRUCTIONS

1)THE HVAC

let's start off with the HVAC and KEYRING. here the basic instructions on disassembly: https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...light=HVACuest

MATERIALS NEEDED: 2 to 4 194 (Red) Signal/Marker Focused LED Opaque Lens seen (1st row and 3rd from the left) here: http://autolumination.com/194.htm

*I used opaque bulbs to help spread the light better. the frosted lens of the bulbs works a lot better than the angled and focused ones. trust me i tried both of them!

Once you've opened the Hvac you'll need a pair of needle-nose pliers or some sticky hands to pull the bulb out of the socket. Once you have pulled them out you'll either need 2 to 4 bulbs depending on model. My car (2003 WRX) used 2 bulbs. When you look at the replacement LEDs you'll notice that they're far to big to fit. You'll need to trim the plastic portion on the bulb with a pair of wire cutters in attemp to make them the same size/dimensions as the OEM bulbs. Look at the second picture in my gallery to understand what they need to look like. Once you've trimmed them they should fit nice and snug without problems. Test them both and you're done with the HVAC.

2) THE KEYRING

MATERIALS NEEDED: 1 (buy 2-3 just in case) 74 (Red) LED Instrument Panel Focused LED clear lens. seen (top row 3rd light from the left) here: http://autolumination.com/74.htm

The reason why i didn't put 194 opaque bulbs here is because they won't fit. These bulbs match well seeing how the actual plastic in the keyring is frosted...it acts similar to an opaque bulb. Once again trust me that these bulbs are the best type/size... i tried a few others.

Once you've refered to the instructions above for the Keyring all you'll need to is slide off the ring and twist the socket out! then pull the oem bulb out of the socket with the pliers and replace it with the size 74 LED mentioned above. Then put everything back together in the reverse order! you're now done with the Keyring.

3) Instrument Panel and Blinker lights.

MATERIALS NEEDED: 8 (Once again buy more just in case) 74 (blue) LED Instrument Panel Focused LED clear lens. seen (top row far left light bulb) here: http://autolumination.com/74.htm

First you'll need to adjust the steering column into it's lowest position. Then you'll need to undo the trim section of the panel by unscrewing the 2 top screws. Once you'ce done that simply pull the trim section out and set it aside. Next you need to undo the 3 screws that mount the actual instrument panel and pull the panel out. Be sure not to unplug the three wiring harnesses to the panel because you'll need to test each LED. IF you don't test each LED you install you'll have a huge guessing game on your hands later. There should be enough room for you to peek behind the Instrument cluster so you can actually see the electrical board all the light sockets are pluged into. start with the bulb closest to you and simply twist the socket and pull the light with socket out. Switch the OEM bulb with the 74 (blue) LED and put it back into the socket to test. If it works then move on to the next bulb. If not then you'll need to bend the light +/- filaments so they come in contact with the metal inside the socket until they work.

Im not sure if the Instrument panels for the 4EATand 5MT use a different amount of bulbs so you might want to check before you order. My 4EAT used 1 for the tach, 2 for the speedometer, 1 for the E/F gauge, 1 for the temp gauge, and 1 for each blinker and one for the odometer light. So that equals a total of 8 bulbs needed for the Instrument Panel.

That's everything! Enjoy it!

What will this cost if you buy the bare minimum on bulbs?
a whooping $30.00 plus shipping!

What will it cost if you buy an 3 extra bulbs per type of bulb?
about $50.00 plus shipping!

that sure beats indiglos!

If you have any other questions post them here and i'll be happy to get back to you!

ERIC:banana:

Last edited by Salty; 01-06-2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: a Ford
Nothing shows up
Old 12-30-2003, 10:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '02
Re: Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)

Originally posted by Sisqocqk
test
What a post *****, I wouldn't call indiglos "better lighting", eye candy may be better term, really, I think they provide no function other than to distract at night and cause your eyes to refocus when looking down at the instument panel.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:09 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
he is writing it up right now.
it isn't finished thats why nothing shows up in his post.

u guys are out of the loop, join baic chat haha
Old 12-30-2003, 11:25 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by 02BlackWRX

jesus! you guys are like blood hounds! wait a minute!
Old 12-30-2003, 11:41 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by 02BlackWRX

BAIC Chat is teh Sux0rz. Why the hell did Eric post it before it was completed, HURRY UP.... fecking amateurs.

EDIT: It has been an hour and a half since you started the thread, there is no way Im reading something that take 1.5 hrs to write.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:22 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Slack
BAIC Chat is teh Sux0rz. Why the hell did Eric post it before it was completed, HURRY UP.... fecking amateurs.

EDIT: It has been an hour and a half since you started the thread, there is no way Im reading something that take 1.5 hrs to write.
there you go!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:18 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by Tobey
any luck with changing the radio bulbs over?

did you try red leds in the cluster? i wonder if the brighter, more concentrated, sharper, red light would drown out the green film and make an overall red light?

is the lighting even in the cluster? i remember people doing this before and they had to bend their leds to a certain angle to even out the lighting, and nstall extras etc. this sounds too easy and cheap to be true!

also your gallery isn't showing up (for me anyway), any chance you could set up some direct links? this sounds awesome, i was about to buy a new sti cluster and do everything over in red, this might save me a few bucks.
Keep it simple! what you're seeing is ALL direct replacement LEDs. read the ENTIRE first post and it sould answer all your questions.

eric
Attached Thumbnails Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)-dash.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 02:20 PM
VIP Member

here's the Hvac as mentioned above. sorry that it's a but fuzzy
Attached Thumbnails Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)-hvac.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 02:22 PM
VIP Member

Here's the view from the rear passanger side. notice the bright keyring with 74 (red) LED.

eric
Attached Thumbnails Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)-passanger.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 02:24 PM
VIP Member

Looks good, I'll give you $5 to do my HVAC and gauges in amber. How much of a PITA was it? You said in your post that you didn't want to change the LEDs, so what is different about the LEDs that you put in?
Old 12-30-2003, 02:25 PM
VIP Member

The keyring...
Attached Thumbnails Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)-keyring.jpg  
Old 12-30-2003, 02:28 PM
VIP Member

here's the 194 LED bulb before and after i trimmed it to make it fit snug in the HVAC sockets
Attached Thumbnails Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)-trimmedbulb.jpg  

Quick Reply: Are these indiglos?: The quest for better lighting...(Long)