Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

The quest for better interior lighting revisited (inst. for Direct Replacement LEDs)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 09:38 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Have an 03 w/stock radio. That sounds much better than a pice of plastic that says subaru. LOL:banana:

Nick
Old 02-27-2004, 04:22 PM

Car Info: 1999 2.2l Subaru Impreza
Cani do this mod in to a GC8?
Old 02-27-2004, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
Originally posted by Ventral
Cani do this mod in to a GC8?
I don't see why not!? the amount of bulbs needed might be different so you might want to check it out by cracking open the dash etc.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by googe
great info, although i really want even brighter. bright like the red is (i have an sti) and emits a bright blue glow from the cluster. like the aftermarket gauges you have on your steering wheel. any tips on how to get the gauge cluster closer to those?
About your best bet would be reverse indiglos eventhough all the ones on the market today have white faces. The STi has red film on it just as the MY02-04 WRX's have that damned green film in the cluster too. If you wanted blue in your cluster you'd need to get aftermarket faces or gut the red film which is difficult. If you want brighter red lghting then get red size 74 LED's and throw them into the cluster.
Old 03-10-2004, 09:36 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by DISCOPOPE
awsome write up Sisqocqk.
my leds came in this afternoon.
so far ive done the fog switch, the ic spray, and the keyring.
tomarrow night is the hvac.
ill pop off a shot of a mostly red sti quite soon.
/cheers.
Sweet! looking forward to the pictures . If you have any questions post them in here! :banana:
Old 03-15-2004, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX Wagon
Has anybody done this mod to the guage cluster on an 04 WRX. I would really like to do this mod, but I am concerned about the brightness of the cluster. The needles are red on the 04 guages, and I think a blue backlighting with red needles would look so sick. Has anybody done this to there 04 and could possibly post pics? Any idea on how bright you think the needles would still be after the LED switch? Thanks

RK
Old 03-18-2004, 10:05 AM
VIP Member

Originally posted by GetawayInBouldr
Has anybody done this mod to the guage cluster on an 04 WRX. I would really like to do this mod, but I am concerned about the brightness of the cluster. The needles are red on the 04 guages, and I think a blue backlighting with red needles would look so sick. Has anybody done this to there 04 and could possibly post pics? Any idea on how bright you think the needles would still be after the LED switch? Thanks

RK
Sorry for the late response... i was hoping someone with an MY04 would post before me.

Anyway, it should be the same exact thing as the MY02-03. Besides the position of the Tach and Speedometer of course. If you look on the first page you'll see how the red needles turn a different color like a fiber optic. The only way to keep this from happening (if you don't like that effect) is to paint the needles with a thick coat of paint by hand so less light can escape. Or somehow block the light from traveling up the needles at the base.

Eric
Old 03-22-2004, 03:45 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX STi - Aspen White
parts express out of stock?

hi,
i have been waiting for partsexpress to get some of the RED condoms in, and they are still out of stock.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=070-080

know of anywhere else i can get these?
Old 03-23-2004, 09:40 AM
VIP Member

Re: parts express out of stock?

Originally posted by netzr0
hi,
i have been waiting for partsexpress to get some of the RED condoms in, and they are still out of stock.
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=070-080

know of anywhere else i can get these?
i ordered those before when they were out of stock and i usually got them within 2 weeks from back order.

Might as well forget the bulb condoms and go LEDs.... afterall, it's the topic of this thread
Old 04-05-2004, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 Impreza TS Sedan
04' Red Needles

First off... awesome mod and thanks for the tips!

After I did my 04 TS in blue led for the cluster, I couldn't see my needles anymore because the blue was too dim to overcome the red tint on the needles. I had to pop the factory bulb back in to the harness that lights the needles.

So now I have this kinda cool gradient effect going from blue to green starting at 100km or so and around 3-4k RPM.

I wish I could all blue gauges and red needles though... not sure how.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2004, 11:54 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2002
Great job fellas and thanks for all the help :banana: :banana:
Old 04-08-2004, 12:30 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 2002
Hey great post. I can't help but notice on your galary that the needles on all the gauges are blue as well is it possible to change them to red or something just curious. Thanks man:banana: :banana: :banana:
Mike
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 AM

Car Info: RIP: 2000 2.5RS Sedan, BRP Now: 08 WRB WRX Hatch
have you compared the leds from superbrightleds.com ? and also for the hvac.. have you tried the "oval wide angle lenses"? how do they compare with the "opaque focused lens" you say to use?

Quick Reply: The quest for better interior lighting revisited (inst. for Direct Replacement LEDs)