Interior, Exterior & Lighting Bodykits, wings, seats, performance gauges, interior and exterior lighting.

HowTo 2005 STI Red HVAC Controls

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 04:24 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

Originally Posted by hossamk
the dimming switch does not work on the HVAC it only work on the clock, the temp and the trip KM.

but do you think that this wire will be more strong the will allow for better LEDs without loosing its brightness

My completly dimms on all 5 levels of illumination... what did you do to yours that it's not dimming?

-Nigel
Old 02-06-2006, 07:14 AM

dimming switch

i beleive i miss understood you.

is the dimming switch is behind the steering wheel in the light switch but they only 2 levels?

or may be i donot have this option of 5 levels dimming

my car is impreza 2005 1.6TS
Old 02-13-2006, 09:33 AM

Car Info: 05 CGM/GOLD STI
so the source voltage is 12.4? I'm guessing the voltage on the HVAC CB is regulated?
Nigel,
do you know the voltage on the solder points you recommend?
Old 02-13-2006, 11:28 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

On the steering column, the paddle on the left.. should be able to twist the little ring to have it dim and get brighter... my 03' wrx when I had it was identical to my sti now... turn for 5 different levels of illumination.

The output voltage of the positive lead on mine was reading 12v-12.3v
So it's safe to say 12v power.

I did it exactly how he has it pictured for the positive (power) soldering point and right above it is it's ground that when you combine the two you have have it dim and get brighter with the rest of the cluster, radio lights.

:-)

-Nigel
Old 08-03-2006, 01:26 AM

can someone list down all the parts they used for this? i'm not sure if i have everything that's needed for this.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:32 PM

Car Info: 06 sti
i can do the red light mod for anyone fully fuctional and dimming for any 05+ hvac with parts and return shipping i can do it all with my parts included (leds, resistors, wiring soldering ) and have it shipped back to you for 60$

if i need to pay the site for any seller fees pm me and let me know
Old 12-13-2006, 07:41 AM

Car Info: 05 STi WRB
I realize this thread is very old, but i've just now got around to doing this mod. I went with 3000 mcd LEDs and have everything wired as instructed. The LEDs will light up but when in the car they are so dim that it doesnt look like they are even on. I tried the LED's with a 9v battery before putting them in the car to make sure they were wired correctly and to get an idea of how bright they would be. However with them in the car they aren't even close to the brightness using the battery. I did remove the reisistor from the chain b/c it dimmed the LEDs quite a bit (used a 470 ohm) so i'm wondering if that could be the problem, but seeing as they are very dim I dont see how adding the resistor would help. Maybe I have overlooked something, and should anyone actually read this and have any suggestions it would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:20 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX
If you tested the led's individually with a 9V battery (and they were only 2 or 3.6 volt LED's) you more than likely burned out the junction and they will forever be dim. Either that, or you added too much resistance thus dropping the voltage across the leds too much.