How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

Push start install 02-07(pic heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
hello i-clubbers,

So there is a ton of different options for push starts out there for ex. zerosports formula one, universal all sorts of different ones but what i was thinking is how can i make this better? So i sat down for a little and gave it some thought called a friend from clubRSX about it and we thought what better than a s2k push start(red backlit) engine start button. so with a little work it is turning out pretty well, so if your interested lets get started:

NOTE: I am not responsible for any issues that may come up, continue at your own risk, for off road use only(lol)

So the first thing your going to need is a push start button, you can really use any momentary push button you like, in my personal opinion the s2k button is a nice looking button and matches red/amber interiors

the next thing you need is a s2k engine start pigtail. the ap1 and ap2 have the same basic plug. the pins are all the same but the colors differ. it makes no difference ether way. i used the ap2 pigtail for mine.

Once you have these two goodies you are well on your way, there is a lot of spots you can place your button, whatever suites you best i guess. i chose to put on button into the two blank spots on center console. i used and extra peace of material i had from my 02-03 center console. make a templet and cut one on out. or you can use carbon fiber sheets whatever your like.

After you have it all set up set your switch, you can use a 1.25 inch bit to drill the hole, i ended up using a little dremel tool. after i used a 1.25 inch snap ring to hold it in place. repeat the place for the backside to mount it to the console.

Next finish taking your console apart so you can get a good look at what your dealing with

So here is the fun part. The harness, you can get a universal harness online for 100 about ish, but i thought i would have my friend help me make one. the thing about this is, you have options on how to set your button. i chose to wire it so that when my key is in the light is always on. He thought it best to have the button light come on with the parking/headlights. my harness is about 4 feet long. i felt it was important to have enough room to move it around a bit.

Now you have to run the harness, start by feeding it along the inside of the carpet under the console like so...

Bring the harness under the HVAC unit behind the console support under the steering wheel

Zip-tie your harness to the point under the wheel

Last i mounted the relay at the end of my harness right above the fuses. just incase i ever need to get to it for any reason.

Next you need to find a ground point for your harness. i used a point right above the fusebox. pretty self expiatory but if your like me a picture never hurts.

Now that you have the harness in, you can plug your button in and put together the center console, Note: do not put the steering wheel all back together. You have a little more work to do there. so plug your engine start in and put the console back to normal.

Alright iclub tomorrow i will update the rest of this tomorrow

Last edited by b00st_addict; 10-27-2013 at 01:18 AM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 04 impreza wrx R.I.P Daniel Wentz JOEBOBBUCKET
I want! Do you still put the key into the ignition cylinder or is that bypassed
Old 10-26-2013, 09:19 PM

You can I do but I disabled the ignition turn key but for security I still use the key. U can get I think it's called an rfi or something that allows you to be keyless, subscribe to the thread it should be all done soon!

Last edited by b00st_addict; 10-26-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:24 PM

Car Info: 04 wrx
Me likey!! Please do a full step by step on how to...please!!
Old 10-26-2013, 09:30 PM

Thanks dude finally got started, tomorrow is the ignition wiring portion.

Last edited by b00st_addict; 10-27-2013 at 01:18 AM.