How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

OEM STi Roof Vane Install

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:31 AM

Car Info: Subaru Wrx 2003
Originally Posted by 05_WRex
Wow great write up/installation on the OEM STi roof vane install. Now only if I had the guts to do what u just did.
Wow, I have to agree I did not even read the steps and the pictures themselves looked like it was a pain in the ***. Looks great though!
Old 08-27-2013, 02:42 PM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza RS, 2005 Impreza RS-20K
Bumping this back from the semi dead. im about to install me aftermarket rear roof vane and this thread is great! itll also be great for who ever buys DSav's rear roof vane. if anyone does

Originally Posted by Volkey
Drilling through all three layers of SM is totally not needed. You risk water damage to your interior as well as greatly rase your chances of screwing up the drilling since the middle peice of SM is angled and hard to get through straight.

All you need to drill through is the top layer, then secure the vane with 4 stainless steel molly bolts. They are self-tightening and there is nothing else needed. I have done this install multiple times.
This is true for OE vanes. but people who are cheap like me or like a different style (JDM one piece or CF) HAVE to drill through all three sheets. aftermarket vanes have the bolt threading into the side "caps" from the inside of the cabin. OE, as u OP very nicely showed, u thread bolt in from OUTside and cap the bolt. not putting u one blast. but not all vanes are the same

hoping to have mine installed tomorrow. i marked spots (which as u can imagine was a lot harder than OE placement with marker) i just wanted to triple check that I indeed needed to drill through 3 layers. im going to install it and make myself some vane stiffies. NO, they dont have any function like wing stiffies do. but im interested to see how a pair or vane stiffies would look with my STI wing stiffies