How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them.

How to remove turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM

Car Info: IMPREZA STI 2006
How to remove turbo?

Hi,
So in the past couple of weeks my 06 impreza sti has been acting up, when starting my car and starting to drive I would notice the turbo not spooling or making any turbo noise and I would look at my gauge and confirm the turbo not making any boost and after a block or so it would start spooling (I can here it and notice the boost on the gauge), this went on for a few days and now it's not working at all it just doesn't spool no matter how long I drive around. Another thing I noticed is that I could hear a kind of humming sound that would go up and down with the spooling speed, not sure what could cause this. My only guess is that there must be something jamming the exhaust turbine and this was causing it to get stock and suddenly work sometimes, this kind of makes sense because some months ago my Air fuel sensor went bad and when i removed it to be replaced the tip was missing and I know it cant just disappear so I was thinking that maybe its floating around inside the turbo giving me this problem. Anyway I'm preparing for the worst so I need instructions on how to remove the turbo. I have an aftermarket down pipe and up pipe, and I can remove them easily but when I look at the turbo itself just disconnecting the turbo intake inlet seems like a nightmare. Help with this issue and instructions on how to remove the turbo would be appreciated.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:29 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
Up-pipe bolts, downpipe bolts vacuum line, oil/coolant lines and turbo inlet clamp removal.
Old 05-10-2012, 01:47 PM

Car Info: FR-S + WRB Bugeye.
I like to start from the top. Remove the tmic to give you space for the turbo. Unbolt the bolts on the turbo-to-Dp. Jack the car up and finish unbolting the Dp at the cat-back, drop the dp. Put the car back on the ground, unbolt the oil lines to the turbo, save the two brass washers that are on both sides of the bango fitting,(though you should replace those). Loosen the turbo inlet hose clamp. Unbolt the turbo from the up pipe, and now your turbo should be loose, still connected to coolant lines, but loose. The coolant lines always make a mess for me since I don't let any coolant out of the radiator before hand. I just put a drain bucket under the car and rags to soak up the mess. I also use a 3/8 socket extension to plug the coolant line so it doesn't continue to leak once it's disconnected from the turbo. I always wait to do the coolant lines at the end because you kinda have to pull the turbo out while pushing the lines off of it cause sometimes the lines are hard and don't want to be moved in the tight space. So pulling the turbo away from the lines usually does the trick for me.

After all that the turbo should be in your hands leaking standing coolant and maybe a little oil. Be sure to have a rag handy. Inspect it, toss it, put a new one in, whatever it turns out to need. Hope that helps a little.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:55 PM

thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I need to do mine too.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:22 PM

Car Info: Evo X GSR, F250 Powerstroke Diesel
C4...
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 AM

turbo priming

How does turbo priming work? can anyone guide me?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 AM

Car Info: Forester
Turbos provide enhanced fuel economy and performance. A turbo is a basic "air pump" that pushes a volume of air into the engine, which increases the power output. This turbo is driven by a turbine in the exhaust system, connected by a direct shaft to an impeller in the intake system. The more exhaust that flows, the more air is pumped into the engine. In most automotive and some other applications, a wastegate is provided which opens as intake system pressure is raised to a preset level by the turbo. This device prevents an overboost from damaging the engine.
Performance Parts Online
Old 06-18-2012, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 07 rs STi swapped Rotated BW S200SX-56
Originally Posted by SR20steve
C4...