Toyobaru Spotted at N'ring?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:53 AM

Car Info: AWD/FWD/RWD
Toyobaru Spotted at N'ring?

As much as I like Toyota, I prefer the Subaru variant because of the likely chance of STI power and the renderings look a lot better than the FT-86. Perhaps this is the answer that the GC8 coupe faithful have been waiting for.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/13/t...ype-spy-shots/

Quoted from Autoblog:

Toyota's FT-86 concept, which will be officially unveiled at next week's Tokyo Motor Show, combines attractive, aggressive aesthetics, rear-wheel drive and a Subaru-sourced boxer engine with the hopes of injecting a bit of passion into the Japanese automaker's admittedly sterile lineup. And since the vehicle has reportedly been a collaboration between Toyota and Subaru all along, we've been anxiously awaiting the Subaru-branded coupe that is sure to follow.

Last week, we gave you an update regarding Subaru's progress with its half of the Toyobaru project, complete with a sketch-tastic rendering from the UK's Autocar. Fast forward to today, and although we can't be sure if this Nürburgring-circling, cobbled-together prototype is a Subaru effort or a Toyota joint, it appears to be a development of the FT-86 that we know is headed for production.

As shot here by our friends at KGP Photography, the little coupe is well disguised, but it looks like a Fuji Heavy project to us, as it shares some Subaru design hallmarks. Up front, the masked prototype takes on the basic shape of the WRX, with bold, bulging curves and a snub nose. There is no trademark Subaru hood scoop, but the big hood has a very aggressive appearance. Out back, the car's rump is also Impreza hatch-like, with a massive rear wing disguised by some heavy camo. It isn't at all clear that what's seen here is in any way, shape or form production bodywork, but we wouldn't be surprised to see the Scooby crew adopt a chunkier aesthetic than their compatriots at Toyota.

The basic layout of the vehicle also appears to favor motivation via the rear wheels, as the 2+2 cabin is pushed back over the rear axle. The Subaru will likely sport the same direct injection 2.0-liter boxer engine currently sitting under the hood of the Toyota concept. If the little boxer can indeed produce nearly 200 horsepower as has been rumored, we're thinking it will be solid punch for the Subaru, as the Toyota FT-86 is nearly a foot shorter than an Impreza and the spy photos show what appears to be a very small form factor. Add turbocharging down the line and we suspect you've got a tuner's delight capable of taking on the big boys.

Word on the street is that Subaru isn't quite sold on the idea of the Toyota-designed rear-wheel drive platform, which may or may not be able to accommodate Subaru's signature all-wheel drive setup. We're not sure that theory makes much sense if the two are collaborating on concept versions of the vehicle, and it would be difficult to understand how Subaru could enter such an agreement without first knowing whether it could add its trademark drivetrain, but we've heard this word ourselves from Subie folks as well, so perhaps Toyota is throwing some of its weight around.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM

Car Info: 09 xt
Mark,
I was reading on forumshawaii, all the kiddies were screaming mad about it being a subie in the U.S.A., and a Toy elsewhere. Honestly, if they keep the design, it will be one badd-A ****.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:16 AM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
Originally Posted by 808subaru
Mark,
I was reading on forumshawaii, all the kiddies were screaming mad about it being a subie in the U.S.A., and a Toy elsewhere. Honestly, if they keep the design, it will be one badd-A ****.
LOL, I was reading that as well. Everyone was bashing the boxer motor for some reason in that thread...
Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
hmm, seems promising thus far. I miss RWD. riding shottie in my friend's M3 makes me miss rear-wheel motivation. the crispness of turn in and the feeling of the power going only through one differential...i miss my AE86 dangit!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:55 AM

Car Info: 2008 MB C350S Chip/Exhaust 268whp
Originally Posted by touge-n00b
LOL, I was reading that as well. Everyone was bashing the boxer motor for some reason in that thread...
Because kiddies at FH think the B18A or the 3SGE is the end all be all motor in the world, twenty years after it's deemed obsolete. Don't they watch Initial D? Bunta totally ditched the AE86 for the STI!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
i dont like looking at mules :/
Old 10-13-2009, 12:18 PM

Car Info: Subaru STI
might be little off topic, but does anyone have the photo's of the concept subaru that was a true hatchback, i cant seem to find the thread about it.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:25 PM

Google is your friend!

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/su...aru-coupe.aspx
Old 10-13-2009, 12:31 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 '13 WRX hatch
Originally Posted by BoOm
Because kiddies at FH think the B18A or the 3SGE is the end all be all motor in the world, twenty years after it's deemed obsolete. Don't they watch Initial D? Bunta totally ditched the AE86 for the STI!
Yeah, I got in a heated argument on mr2oc about this... This guy was *****ing about how the car had a boxer instead of a 2zz or something dumbass
Old 10-13-2009, 01:42 PM

What I don't get is why these people view boxer engines as bad.

1) Boxers are used in aircraft.
2) Boxers are MORE expensive to build from manufacturer.
3) Boxers have more stability.
4) Porsche 911, Cayman, original VW Beetle, Subaru
5) Boxers have a lower center of gravity.
6) Boxers offer much more lower end torque than inline-4's.
7) Boxers are shorter and lighter than conventional inline-4's.
8) Boxers are wider engines, forcing bodies to be wider, which is always better.
9) Stroke balance. Every piston movement is counterbalanced by another piston movement.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:14 PM

Car Info: DoucheMobile
I think the main appeal people have with regular inline fours is that you have to ring them out to extract the power. While I love a high-revving engine as
much as the next guy, what fun is it having a car where you can unleash full power only certain times. It's not like you can drive around town at 8000rpm.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon
Am I the only one that thinks this looks **** ugly? Subaru keeps watering down their models, one after another. NO MORE HATCHES PLEASE
Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Seishin-teki kyōkō/Intonjutsu/Shinobi-ir
Originally Posted by BoOm
Bunta totally ditched the AE86 for the STI!
That is soOooooOOo True!! I myself am not really feeling the pictures of the FT but hey, once there's one that is totally modified by one of either the East Coast or West Coast JDM tuners, they'll probably look good.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Jin

Car Info: 05 CGM STi to be converted to RS
Originally Posted by pwnx0rz
Am I the only one that thinks this looks **** ugly? Subaru keeps watering down their models, one after another. NO MORE HATCHES PLEASE
i'm sure thats just a mule
Old 10-13-2009, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx wagon
god awful ugly to me, looks like 4 different cars cut up and taped back together.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toyobaru Spotted at N'ring?