Subieota or Toyobaru Scion

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:46 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Subieota or Toyobaru Scion

What do you think? hopefully really affordable...hmm...drifter

Even before Toyota officially announced its intention to partner with Subaru on a small, lightweight, rear-wheel-drive coupe, a rumor and speculation brush fire has been burning around the car.

The latest flames are licking up over what brand(s) the new coupe will wear when it finally hits the U.S. market sometime in 2011. According to recent Internet chatter, the Subieota, or Toyobaru, will instead don the Scion badge for Toyota when it comes to the States.

If true, it would be a logical choice for Toyota. Scion is clearly in desperate need of a true performance-themed halo car. The tC is a solid vehicle you can have some fun with (especially if you add the factory supercharger) but it's front drive -- not the type of car you're taking to the local drift event. The Scion tC coupe is also aging, and the brand could conceivably make a big splash with a turbocharged, rear-drive replacement. The coupe would join the Scion version of the new Toyota iQ, the quirky small car we recently told you is coming to the U.S., giving the brand two interesting new cars to market.

Under the hood of the sports car will be a Subaru boxer engine, most likely a version of the automaker's 2.0L turbocharged unit (the 2.5L is a remote possibility for the U.S.) tuned to about 200 hp. In addition, while the car will sit on a new Subaru platform, it will be "designed" by Toyota, the companies said in April (we're not sure if that's a good or bad thing). Each brand will have its own version of the car for sale in markets around the world.

Will Subaru bring its version to the U.S.? That's still unclear, but with the company staking its reputation on AWD here, it would be surprising if Subaru decides to introduce a rear-drive car to the American market. Reports have indicated that the platform will support both rear and all-wheel-drive applications, and that a higher-spec version is being considered.

Source: Carscoop

http://wot.motortrend.com/6339703/we...ion/index.html
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
that will be true
Old 12-07-2008, 06:58 PM

Car Info: Subaru 2009 Forester
u have to face it,lol
Old 12-07-2008, 07:02 PM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
Subaru might take it... and if they do it will definitely be AWD... I hope they make a few changes to the cosmetics though...
Old 12-07-2008, 07:52 PM

Car Info: 05 Aspen White STi wid 2 AK47's in da trunk!
that looks tight!
Old 12-07-2008, 08:28 PM

Car Info: o6 impreza.
kind of resembles a lexus is/gs mix.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:24 AM

Car Info: 2008 Legacy 3.0R 3L H-6 RIP :( Hello 09 FXT!
The lower black foglight area looks all toyota to me. Take a look at the new 2009 yaris "S" models.
Ooups...this is Chris posting, not CMC.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
Toyota and specifically Scion really needs something like this. All the Scion cars are for show except for a small handful of highly modified TC's. Even then, it is still wrong wheel drive.

Toyota needs a true performance car in a price range that enthusiasts can afford. The only other performance car they have is the IS-F but that thing is way too expensive for most people.

If Subaru brings this thing out it needs to put in AWD and the most powerful Turbo-4 it can muster...make it their halo-car beyond the STi.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
sweet i have a spare motor for it!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM

Car Info: GC8 Type-R, BH5 Wangon Gen3 and 05 SV650 Naked!
that car is bad *** I would get me one but just imagine the body kits SUGOI!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:36 AM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
RWD only... Subaru's awd drive train layout is terrible for a rwd / awd aplication. For awd it's symetrical and moderately balanced which is good. But for rwd, the mounting position of the motor is in front of the axles which messes up polar moment of inertia. Yes, I know there are converted drift cars, but a well balanced car is what is necessary. Besides, where would this fit in if it were awd? Subaru already makes the wrx, for a similar price point for this car, they would only be cannibalizing their own sales if they made this car awd too.

With regards to hp, they should probably do a basic 2.5l N/a motor with an upgraded option for a 200-230hp turbo motor... Nothing too crazy. The reason being, you want to sell cars, right now, there aren't too many rwd sport coupes in the 18-25k range and this car would slot perfectly in there. Scion would definitely benifit from this, and subaru too would benifit from the wider dispersal of flat engines. ( which is one of toyotas reasons for making this car ) Everyone will be asking for a 300 hp sti version, which may happen, but really, at that point you're going into 370z, s2k etc territory, without the chassis design...

Somewhere, brennen's laughing at this post. doom.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:07 PM

Car Info: subaru
Why can't they market it as both Subaru and Toyota? They've just introduced the "new" Subaru DEX here, but it's just a rebadged Toyota bB (think Scion xB). I don't think it's too much of a stretch to think that the Subaru models would be AWD with flat 4(and a bit more expensive) and the Toyota(Scion) models would be RWD with conventional engine. Just my thought. Then again, they could do it like they're doing it with the 'DEX'. Just rebadge a cheap, small FWD car. It wouldn't be the first time an auto manufacterer let down it's followers...
Old 12-08-2008, 07:41 PM

Car Info: 2006 AW STi
It will go through another clean up on the design before we see it on the streets, but it looks promising in the design. As far as badge it's somewhat sad that it will be with a Scion if it does. Even if both parent companies of the car have their own model, I wouldn't want another fast and the furious junkie, Famous Star wearing, Hey Bro at the stop light trying to race. If the flat turbo 4 is pushing this car power potential should be sexy. I wouldn't want everyone and their grandmother mobbing this car with the potential and Subaru engineering behind it.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 Legacy GT Wagon
not going to post... not going to post... not going to post...

this is a subaru forum so i'll keep my comments about subaru's drivetrain to myself. that is all.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 PM

Car Info: MkIII MR2, s14, 94 mx5, 99 mx5. The beauty of rwd.
Geez, I hate the kids with the F&F complexes Seeing this car in a F&F movie or get hyped into the next drift crazy car would suck, but, it would prove beneficial for both subaru and toyota if it becomes that kind of sales hit I know if I get one, you'll see it at the track hopefully others will use it as a performance toy too

Believe me, I like rare or " different " cars, but the only thing to come out of that, is low sales, and discontinuation of the car. Just look at the rx7, mr2, supra, and older jdm sports cars, cool cars, but priced out of their buyers range, didn't sell well, and died ignominious deaths in the US market. I would like a "real" hachi successor or b13 SE-r.

Besides, as enthusiasts, most of us had some sort of ricer origins or moments. Most people move on but some stay and embrace the hobby. It's just sad that most people, after embracing the hobby, seem too happy to bash on others who are just starting it.

Quick Reply: Subieota or Toyobaru Scion