Question for people living in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 06:42 PM

Car Info: 1
Town (Honolulu) is fun but dont' spend all of your time there unless you like the night life sort of thing. If you want to see hawaii spend a day and drive around the island (assuming you're going to Oahu). It'll take about a day and is pretty neat.

If you stop at places it'll probably take two or three days. The beachs on the different sides of the island are all differnet. Stop at them all and try them out for a day or so. The North Shore is a neat place to cruise through. Hit Sunset beach. If you're into snorkling Shark's Cove. Stop by Kua'Aina's when you're there. The burgers are the best! (you order in 1/2 or 1/3 sizes). Haleiwa is fun to mess around in (there's a few art galleries and such).

The swap meet is a favorite of a lot of the people i've had visit me. It meets on sat,sun, and wed around the Aloha stadium.

Also, stop by the Pali Lookout and take the Nu'uanu scenic route to get there. Great/fun drive, and excellent view of the windward side of the island.

(BTW, you'll notice the quality of beaches in waikiki side is nothing compared to everywhere else).

If you're into spending money, you can do the Polynesian Cultrual Center.

Also, you've gotta try differnet food while you're here. Hit up Gyotaku, Loco Moco's, Sun's BBQ for some local cuisine! (i'm sure everyone else has tons more).

Ok that's all i can think of off the top of my head.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:52 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Or if your into a little hiking or just interested in checking out nature in Hawaii check this site out. Enjoy

http://www.hawaiiweb.com/html/hiking.html
Old 11-16-2003, 10:28 PM

Car Info: '04 STi
I agree, there is lots to do in town, but ya gotta drive out of town to see the real Hawaii. It's kinda hard to get lost on Oahu so long as you stay on the main roads. And yes do experience our multi-cultural gastronomic delights (plate lunch, etc.). Ask for more specific interests, and I'm sure the local i-clubbers will advise. Aloha!!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:32 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
if you come soon and at the right time, you might be able to see the big swells that make the north shore famous.

you will also see the traffic that gets ridiculous cuz people want to see those waves.

hope you have fun
Old 11-17-2003, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Try taking a drive up and around the Windward (Eastern) side of Oa'hu. Start in town and take the Kalaniana'ole Highway eastwards towards Makapu'u, then head northwards to connect to the Kamehameha ("Kam") Highway. Make sure you stop or at least drive through Kaneohe and Kailua, they're very nice towns. If you stop in Kailua, make sure you have lunch at Times Coffeehouse on Hamakua Drive in the center of Kailua. If you can't find it, ask any of the locals. Keep heading north now. Very scenic, relaxing drive. You can stop at La'ie and check out the Polynesian Cultural Center if you like (although that's a day in itself), then afterwards you can either turn around and head back to Town the way you came, or you can continue on if you have time until you reach the North Shore. Make sure you stop by Matsumoto General Store for shave ice there Hale'iwa is a nice quiet surfing town with some interesting things to see. Afterwards, you can make your way south on the Kam Highway again, stopping by at the Dole Plantation if you like. Then you can reconnect to H1 and return to Town.
Old 11-17-2003, 05:40 PM
VIP Member

Hope that helped; enjoy your vacation!
Old 11-17-2003, 06:02 PM
Where is my beer?

Car Info: NSX, G35
........ funny how everyone is talking about Oahu, .... but if you're going on vacation, don't even come here. Go to the island of Kauai! You won't regret it, trust me. It sounds like just what you're looking for.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:58 PM
VIP Member

Nolimit does have a point there... Kaua'i a nice place to get away from it all but... I start getting all paranoid and crazy after 8 hours there It's just TOO quiet! Oh, and if you don't mind a little rain, the Hilo side of the Big Island is pretty unique too.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:18 PM

maui, big island, and kauai are whats hawaii is all about-
Old 11-18-2003, 03:20 PM
VIP Member

I don't no why, nothing personal, but I just can't stand Maui. I absoblutely hate it there, except for Kahului-Wailuku, which is only okay. I guess it's just me?
Old 11-18-2003, 05:43 PM

Car Info: Subaru, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, GMC, Previously Owned Vehicles
JUS DRIVE AROUND BRAH

Originally posted by BLADE
just want to thank everyone for all of the help hope to be there in Dec.thanks
NO CAN GET LOST

Get plany food, gas, food, food food, na mattah wheyah U Go.

Have fun, and drive safe.

Nino <><

Eh U not from Mira Mesa are you? S.D.