New to hawaii

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 02:00 PM

Car Info: 2014 WRB WRX 5DR
New to hawaii

Well, im not actually there yet but i will be August 1st from san diego. Was hoping for a decent subie scene there. Ill be working at Kaneohe Bay base. Hope to see you guys around!

Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Sedan
Premature-Welcome! I don't think you'll be disappointed in the subie scene here. Solid group of guys and gals. Look forward to meeting you at the meats! Also, nice ride!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:03 PM

Car Info: 2015 STi LE
Only been to the most recent meet, but it seems pretty active. Just hope your not easily tempted, the highway you gotta take to get on base is a long straight that I almost always do 100+ when taking. Barely ever have cops and you can usually spot them a mile away. Lmk if you ever get lost or need to find a place on the windward side (live in kaneohe).
Old 07-18-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ItzKaiOh
Only been to the most recent meet, but it seems pretty active. Just hope your not easily tempted, the highway you gotta take to get on base is a long straight that I almost always do 100+ when taking. Barely ever have cops and you can usually spot them a mile away. Lmk if you ever get lost or need to find a place on the windward side (live in kaneohe).
Ugh. When i finally get to drive my car after not having it for 3 weeks i already know im gonna be in toretto mode for a little bit. I actually heard the cops out there were pretty bad. False?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:35 PM

Depending where you are, the cops can either be really cool or straight up dicks. In kaneohe I've only ran into 1 cop being an ***. He was driving in the opposite direction driving at 25, swerved into my lane and made me go brake hard and swerve a little off the road. What for? Cause my headlights hurt his eyes at 1am... stock headlights are to bright for him, so I put it on drl until I couldn't see him then turned it back on. But other then that most other cops in kaneohe haven't bothered me. I tend to avoid town as much as possible cause that's where all the stories I've heard come from.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

Well thats pretty good to hear. I cant even lie i got a heavy *** foot so ill be on the look out. Especially now because i wanna get straight pipes instead of my current spt.

How about autocross/rallycross/drag events? Pretty frequent?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 PM

Believe we only have the SCCA events at Aloha stadium, rally cross I'm not sure about but I believe it always gets posted on the forums and we currently don't have a drag strip. It got closed a few years ago, friends ship cars to outer islands for drag events then bring them back. Rumors always pop up about groups trying to open the strip again but haven't heard anything yet. (Could be wrong) You'll probably be invited to meets but it's race at your own risk.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Hmm sounds good. Ill definitely see you out there man. Thanks for the info
Old 07-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
We have an extremely active SCCA Solo and Rallyx program.
I'm a chief and webmaster, SCCA Hawaii Region

Cops in Kaneohe are usually fairly lax. But honolulu and waikiki cops are more ****, and waikiki is where all the noobs go for training. they're looking for things to get you for, so stay away if you have a modded subie.

Also, one pain in the *** thing is safety check/recon permit. We have no smog, so thats cool, but we have to go through an annual "safety" check where if you're modded, you won't pass... its a huge pain.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by corytomo
We have an extremely active SCCA Solo and Rallyx program.
I'm a chief and webmaster, SCCA Hawaii Region

Cops in Kaneohe are usually fairly lax. But honolulu and waikiki cops are more ****, and waikiki is where all the noobs go for training. they're looking for things to get you for, so stay away if you have a modded subie.

Also, one pain in the *** thing is safety check/recon permit. We have no smog, so thats cool, but we have to go through an annual "safety" check where if you're modded, you won't pass... its a huge pain.
Ill be sure to check it out! I've yet to participate in a auto/rallyx event but ive been waiting to.

As far as the safety inspection goes, does it matter if we are registered out of state? If not, are there ways around it? My rex only has a CAI & TBE... for now
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
Welcome! AutoX August 3rd @ Aloha Stadium
SCCA Hawaii Region
I'm not the webmaster and not a chief, but I'm an excellent cone runner...
Old 07-18-2014, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sigterm
Welcome! AutoX August 3rd @ Aloha Stadium
SCCA Hawaii Region
I'm not the webmaster and not a chief, but I'm an excellent cone runner...
Hmm... That's the estimated arrival date of my car. I get there on the 1st. Hopefully nothing gets delayed and i can make that event. It probably starts early in the morning though huh?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
Originally Posted by Jb561
Ill be sure to check it out! I've yet to participate in a auto/rallyx event but ive been waiting to.

As far as the safety inspection goes, does it matter if we are registered out of state? If not, are there ways around it? My rex only has a CAI & TBE... for now
Keep your stock parts! CAI and TBE should be fine as long as its not too loud... and make friends with the safety check guys on the base hobby shop. but regardless if you keep your out of state plates, you'll still need a safety check. and cops will pull you over for not having it, since they know you can't just be "driving through the state" with your out of state plates lol!