New Guy/Safety Inspection Help

Old 04-15-2014, 09:32 PM

Car Info: 2013 WRX Hatchback
New Guy/Safety Inspection Help

Hey guys, so I'm new to the forum. Just gonna introduce myself a bit.

Name is Gino. I just moved to Hawaii from California on PCS orders (Navy). I drive a 2013 WRX Hatch. I don't really know anyone out here, so I'm hoping this could be a place to start.

So on to my safety inspection issue. I went to Goodyear and pretty much told me I failed as soon as they drove it in the bay. Here's whats "illegal" on my subie:

1. 12% window tint (bought the car like that) but I've seen people driving around with the same amount of tint, if not, darker.
2. Smoked tail light overlays (I used to have the red overlay, but apparently those are illegal too from what I've researched)
3. All black headlight housing (I baked and painted them, including the reflectors)
4. HIDs (bought them with the car)

I have a few solutions, but I could use some advice on how I should go about this.

1. I have no problem taking the tint off and putting the legal 35%
2. How can I go about tail lights? I really don't want to have those ugly looking chrome ones.
3. I'm going to have to get new headlight housing. If someone could refer me to where I could find aftermarket ones, that'd be great.
4. ???

California pretty much has the same rules, but it's not strictly enforced like it is out here. So if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it very much.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:28 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX sedan
did you search for "safety"? There are a bunch of other guys with the same problems as you. There's also a sticky at the top of the Hawaii forums.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by _SteezinWRX
Hey guys, so I'm new to the forum. Just gonna introduce myself a bit.

Name is Gino. I just moved to Hawaii from California on PCS orders (Navy). I drive a 2013 WRX Hatch. I don't really know anyone out here, so I'm hoping this could be a place to start.

So on to my safety inspection issue. I went to Goodyear and pretty much told me I failed as soon as they drove it in the bay. Here's whats "illegal" on my subie:

1. 12% window tint (bought the car like that) but I've seen people driving around with the same amount of tint, if not, darker.
2. Smoked tail light overlays (I used to have the red overlay, but apparently those are illegal too from what I've researched)
3. All black headlight housing (I baked and painted them, including the reflectors)
4. HIDs (bought them with the car)

I have a few solutions, but I could use some advice on how I should go about this.

1. I have no problem taking the tint off and putting the legal 35%
2. How can I go about tail lights? I really don't want to have those ugly looking chrome ones.
3. I'm going to have to get new headlight housing. If someone could refer me to where I could find aftermarket ones, that'd be great.
4. ???

California pretty much has the same rules, but it's not strictly enforced like it is out here. So if anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it very much.
1.) Fix the tint
2.) You are kind stuck go back to stock or change it after a safety and risk getting your safety seized.
3.) What you said
4.) Don't they have Ballasts? If so whats the issue what temp are the bulbs that might be the issue.... IIRC
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Welcome to Hawaii BTW!
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 AM

Car Info: 2013 WRX Hatchback
Originally Posted by devilzdriver
1.) Fix the tint
2.) You are kind stuck go back to stock or change it after a safety and risk getting your safety seized.
3.) What you said
4.) Don't they have Ballasts? If so whats the issue what temp are the bulbs that might be the issue.... IIRC
The guy just saw my ballasts for the HIDs and said those were illegal unless they came factory with the car. Unfortunately, I have the base model WRX and only the Limited comes with factory HIDs. I don't know how I could go about "proving" they came with HIDs.

And thanks!
Old 04-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
just disconnect the HIDs and put some stock bulbs in. if they say anything then call em on it since there's no law against having disconnected ballasts in your engine bay. as for the headlights get OEM otherwise they can still fail you. i know someone who had DOT approved headlights and got turned away for recon so better safe than sorry.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:20 PM

Car Info: STI 2014
ya! more safety questions!