New Grimmspeed Downpipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Car Info: '13 WRX
New Grimmspeed Downpipe

So my car keeps going into limp mode under hard throttle and im looking to fix this without going EWG. I am not spiking its only overboosting by 1 or 2 psi.

Grimmspeed recently came out with a New DP which they claim is better quality than most other DPs on the market they also claim that their design assists in tighter boost control. They also claim that on a dyno their DPs put out higher numbers depending on other mods.

Anyone know if their claims is true? And if it is will it help me with my issue? Anyone get their hands on one of these yet? What do you guys think of their design and their claims?

Here is a a link of the New Grimmspeed DPs...

Downpipe - 08+ WRX/STI/FXT/LGT - GrimmSpeed
Old 04-09-2014, 08:51 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by jrod_icy_wrx
So my car keeps going into limp mode under hard throttle and im looking to fix this without going EWG. I am not spiking its only overboosting by 1 or 2 psi.

Grimmspeed recently came out with a New DP which they claim is better quality than most other DPs on the market they also claim that their design assists in tighter boost control. They also claim that on a dyno their DPs put out higher numbers depending on other mods.

Anyone know if their claims is true? And if it is will it help me with my issue? Anyone get their hands on one of these yet? What do you guys think of their design and their claims?

Here is a a link of the New Grimmspeed DPs...

Downpipe - 08+ WRX/STI/FXT/LGT - GrimmSpeed
What mods are done to the car? I am new to OBD2 cars, but from what i understand DP's and EWG's need a tune or else problems can arise.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:14 PM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
What map are you running?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 2006 obp wrx limited sedan
im trying to order one with the limited design for 02-07. waiting to see if i can order one tomorrow
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Brfatal
What map are you running?
20gxt, 850cc inj,DW FUEL PUMP, STAGE 2 plus PDX PROTUNE
Old 04-09-2014, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobywax
im trying to order one with the limited design for 02-07. waiting to see if i can order one tomorrow
Are they even in stock? Or are they in backorder already?
Old 04-09-2014, 11:19 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Replacing a pipe with another pipe probably isn't going to fix your problems, that is assuming you are already running a downpipe ( and with a 20gxt I surely hope you are ). If you have not already purchased a downpipe, do so. However, if you already have an aftermarket solution then I would look elsewhere to address your overboosting problem.

Keep in mind overboosting by 1-2psi is actually quite common, especially if you are doing highway pulls and the like since you are loading the motor a lot. An easy fix would be to downshift before the pull ( and likely go faster anyway ) or, you can have your tuner remap your avcs to smooth the peak torque curve and "ease" into the boost instead of the standard high torque peak and fast falloff.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
Replacing a pipe with another pipe probably isn't going to fix your problems, that is assuming you are already running a downpipe ( and with a 20gxt I surely hope you are ). If you have not already purchased a downpipe, do so. However, if you already have an aftermarket solution then I would look elsewhere to address your overboosting problem.

Keep in mind overboosting by 1-2psi is actually quite common, especially if you are doing highway pulls and the like since you are loading the motor a lot. An easy fix would be to downshift before the pull ( and likely go faster anyway ) or, you can have your tuner remap your avcs to smooth the peak torque curve and "ease" into the boost instead of the standard high torque peak and fast falloff.
You are right i do already have a dp and i was in fact thinking about replacing my current dp for a new one. I over boosted yesterday in fourth gear at about 5500-6000 rpms :/ that should not happen! Thanks for the feedback i will try that. On another note i really like grimmspeed new dp i might just get it anyways and if it help then great!
Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Limited, 2005 STI, 2002 WRX
Seems to have a very Similar design & quality as the Nameless Performance DP, Price is slightly less.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:02 PM

Car Info: car
what kind of cel are you getting? when you say limp mode, this must mean check engine light is on with the cruise control light blinking.

assuming the cel is related to fuel cut/overboosting, tune your Ecu's boost controller or control it with an external/aftermarket boost controller.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 PM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
Originally Posted by Krang

call jar at pdx and talk to em. best place to seek advice is through your tuner. I've contacted him in the past with installs and issues (none so far), mainly to let him know how smooth the car is running. At the same time you could ask him about the dp. he may have tuned some cars with the gsdp and have answers for you about it as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM

yes limp mode as in cruise light blinking engine light on and hill assist on. i have an EPIC EBCS not 100% sure if its as good as other ebcs but i think its doing the job for the most part....
thanks guys i had a chance to do some data logs yesterday im looking over them right now and im gonna send them to Jar at PDX see what he thinks and i will go from there.

during my logs i did not hit limp mode but i did however hit 22psi which i think is 2 psi over target boost, that was during the middle of the day im afraid it would be different with a temperature drop at night. Am i right or this shouldn't happen?