In need of help with recon please

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 02:05 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
In need of help with recon please

Hello I club!
I never been on here for awhile now but this new safety check is going to kill me If I don't pass recon! Right now I have ohlins suspension that is stiff as a mother******. Also have clear headlights that wont pass. My recon appointment is on April 29th.
I have a 04 STi and is wondering if anyone has stock suspension laying around that I can borrow for a week or I could buy till this whole recon situation is over. Also need to borrow or buy Stock 04 STi headlights during that time. Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:38 PM

Car Info: 1998 rs/ 2003 wrx wagon
Wait why are clear headlights making you fail? Lol that sounds retarded and I don't think stiff suspension will fail you.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:42 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by stets
Hello I club!
I never been on here for awhile now but this new safety check is going to kill me If I don't pass recon! Right now I have ohlins suspension that is stiff as a mother******. Also have clear headlights that wont pass. My recon appointment is on April 29th.
I have a 04 STi and is wondering if anyone has stock suspension laying around that I can borrow for a week or I could buy till this whole recon situation is over. Also need to borrow or buy Stock 04 STi headlights during that time. Any help is appreciated!
When you say clear i assume you mean they are not DOT approved? If so nothing you can do about that except get stock lights. As for the suspension as was stated before, if you get pulled over and have different suspension good bye recon and good bye safety.... just my 2 cents.
Old 03-08-2014, 08:01 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
02'-03' models have an amber reflector on the side / front fenders - 04'-05' models have an amber side reflector inside the headlight. The turn signal also has an amber insert that most take out at the same time.

By "clear" I assume they are removed. (they do look better without, imho) Quite a pain to open your headlights to put those amber pieces back, not to mention a lot of those pieces made it to the landfill by now.

I think by FMVSS rules, that amber reflector can make or break that safety check. (#$%^)

Last edited by caterpill; 03-08-2014 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:17 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
So suspension wise, do they still want a certain amount of travel? I just made appts for all the cars, it's going to suck but... hey, gotta do it.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Car Info: '10 Xt Ltd, '05 X Beater, '01 GS300
Originally Posted by caterpill
02'-03' models have an amber reflector on the side / front fenders - 04'-05' models have an amber side reflector inside the headlight. The turn signal also has an amber insert that most take out at the same time.

By "clear" I assume they are removed. (they do look better without, imho) Quite a pain to open your headlights to put those amber pieces back, not to mention a lot of those pieces made it to the landfill by now.

I think by FMVSS rules, that amber reflector can make or break that safety check. (#$%^)
Yup, and this is the exact reason that I initially failed years back with my wagon. Luckily I was able to find a member who had a set that was completely stock and I returned weeks later and passed

Originally Posted by sigterm
So suspension wise, do they still want a certain amount of travel? I just made appts for all the cars, it's going to suck but... hey, gotta do it.
Yup, I just made an appointment for my GS last week. First available was June 4th! Crazy man.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:31 PM

If I said it once I said it a million tome. *** recon!!! U just gotta find someone to get a safety check sticker
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 PM

Car Info: 1999 2.5RS
Originally Posted by caterpill

Are you kidding me! That little amber piece will make you fail safety? What the hell does that have to do with "Safety"? I replaced the corners on my GC with clear ones, but they didn't mention it when I went for my safety. Just the coil overs. And a torn CV boot. Recon is such a money making scam.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
They should have mentioned it to you (actually fail). There is a law about amber/red sidelights.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:34 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
I have gotten headlights with the amber but now I need a third brake light lol. I raised my coilovers to look somewhat stock and hoping to pass a regular safety check since I missed my appt.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 PM

Car Info: 03 subaru wrx wagon
Best pointer I can give u is..make ur appointment in the afternoon...meaning ask for opening after 12...no one is happy in the morning and in this case this is true...the afternoon people are way nicer there...my car is stiff and no tire to fender gap...jdm headlight, hid, tire rubbing fender...and I still passed first time...just be nice..people there knows that stock Sti and some Wrx don't pass recon period so as long as it's not rock solid you will be fine...I would recommend keeping the car the way u get ur recon too..meaning don't drop ur car after...u can get ur car impounded now with this new law (happen to my friend) of course that's after they rip everything off the car...well good luck sir
Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 AM

Anyone here selling stock shocks for 06 sti? Went to the softest setting and still failed recon. I'll try again on June 2 but really thinking about just switching that damm thing and getting a safety. I tell you, Oahu is crazy about these recons!!
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM
Staff Member

Car Info: 2001 RSTi Widebody
I have a set of 05 struts...you can borrow them for your recon
Old 05-23-2014, 03:25 AM

Will it fit on the 06-07?
Old 05-31-2014, 02:41 AM

Car Info: 2006 subaru impreza non-turbo
same thing happened to me the other day i failed the bounce test, they say it's too stiff it has to travel 1inch down and up when i push it and the damn thing didn't even move, is there anyway i can make it soft without changing my coilover i was thinking changing the springs on it with softer one did anybody did that already if so did it work? i dont want to spend and waste money this freaking recon sucks help me out

Quick Reply: In need of help with recon please