Lithium Battery? Local?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 11:59 AM

Car Info: about 30 miles a day
if i remember correctly RevTek in Waipio carries (or used to carry) Ballistic batteries. These aren't cheap but they are pretty much what you're looking for.

Ballistic Performance 16 Cell EVO2 Battery - RevZilla

3lbs and will get the job done. just keep in mind you will probably want to add a hard cutoff switch for when your car is sitting for months and get a battery tender just in case.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:23 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Battery tender was mandatory for me since I only drove the car every few weeks, not a big deal though if it's in the trunk! I just dropped some wires down behind the bumper and hooked it up from the outside.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
Battery tender was mandatory for me since I only drove the car every few weeks, not a big deal though if it's in the trunk! I just dropped some wires down behind the bumper and hooked it up from the outside.
shouldn't need a tender though if you have a complete cutoff but it never hurts
Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 PM

Car Info: 99 M3,91 SSM Miata,00 CSP Miata,RX330 DD
i have both for my 12 cell ballistic.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by corytomo
i have both for my 12 cell ballistic.
because racecar driver...

how does the 12cell hold up? I guess for a race only car and our warm climate it should be ok but for a normal car with lights and a/c it probably wouldn't do so well. any issues with your alternators going out? just curious
Old 10-23-2014, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by 04sleeper
because racecar driver...

how does the 12cell hold up? I guess for a race only car and our warm climate it should be ok but for a normal car with lights and a/c it probably wouldn't do so well. any issues with your alternators going out? just curious
totally because race car haha. my miata has a slight draw, so after 1 week, its dead. so i disconnect it using a moroso cutoff switch. lasts over a month without a charge, but needs to be trickle charged after that.
worked fine with lights, don't have ac. alternator has had no issues.
use to drive it every so often to work, or cruises, and you honestly can't tell its a tiny 2.3lbs battery. if you have trouble starting your car though, this will not work, the CCA is waaaaay too low, so after about 15 tries, its dead.
Old 10-24-2014, 11:23 AM

I just kept mine on all the time because after a while of sitting like that it does completely drain the system, and will reset any learning the ecu has done previously.

I still had AC, lights, stereo, the whole 9 yards too.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:14 PM
banned

Car Info: 2015 Sti
Originally Posted by Krang
Hes building a racecar, its absolutely worth the upgrade if you know how hard it is to find somewhere else to drop 25lbs while maintaining the ruleset.... Brett, your best bet is to order online. It's a lithium battery so they shouldn't have a problem shipping it. However, if you don't want to do that, the Oddesey battery I used in my wagon did a great job and is still kickin for DD duties with the new owner.
That's funny a race car, you know you live in Oahu, and the island doesn't have a race track. That's like getting all dressed up for a prom that doesn't exist. Where are you planning on racing this car.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by 2005wrxsti
That's funny a race car, you know you live in Oahu, and the island doesn't have a race track. That's like getting all dressed up for a prom that doesn't exist. Where are you planning on racing this car.
well, some people might not consider SCCA Solo as racing... but some do... and we have a great deal of events at the stadium. Can't go fast, but you can learn car control.
Old 10-27-2014, 01:48 PM
banned

well, some people might not consider SCCA Solo as racing... but some do... and we have a great deal of events at the stadium. Can't go fast, but you can learn car control.
Which brings me back to why worry about the weight of a 25 lb battery? Why not spend that money one sway bars, coil overs, end links or something like that. Seeing as weight doesn't really matter as much as handling in auto cross as opposed to 1/4 mile or tracking it.
Old 10-27-2014, 03:57 PM

Car Info: 06 STi
Old 10-27-2014, 06:42 PM

Which brings me back to why worry about the weight of a 25 lb battery? Why not spend that money one sway bars, coil overs, end links or something like that. Seeing as weight doesn't really matter as much as handling in auto cross as opposed to 1/4 mile or tracking it.
really? i think you have it reverse, in slow speed, tight radius, constant weight shifting scenarios, weight is extremely important.
enough that we spend $200 on a battery that saves 15lbs, and $1000 on a seat that weighs 10lbs vs 25lbs. my miata is 2060lbs, i've gotten to the point where i take out a bolt if it has no use. or the wires to the non existant speakers.
of course, you'd spend your money up front on the best power adders, suspension, bushings, aero, etc, before you start spending huge bucks on weight savings. but when you get to that point, a $1000 carbon door starts to make sense.... lol
now i know why people think autoxers are crazy. i'll have to agree...
Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 PM
banned

really? i think you have it reverse, in slow speed, tight radius, constant weight shifting scenarios, weight is extremely important. enough that we spend $200 on a battery that saves 15lbs, and $1000 on a seat that weighs 10lbs vs 25lbs. my miata is 2060lbs, i've gotten to the point where i take out a bolt if it has no use. or the wires to the non existant speakers. of course, you'd spend your money up front on the best power adders, suspension, bushings, aero, etc, before you start spending huge bucks on weight savings. but when you get to that point, a $1000 carbon door starts to make sense.... lol now i know why people think autoxers are crazy. i'll have to agree...
So your battery is shifting around? It makes no sense to me but than again nothing does on this 3rd world state. If it makes you happy who am I to say different.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:50 PM

In the SM ruleset, the only other things you can do to reduce weight as much as 25lbs for a single item are replacing the seats. Every other weight reduction option is for less gain.

For the sake of argument, lets assume that every other area of the car has been thought through, because... it has. Everything you listed, and more, is already done. The last performance enhancing method he has is weight reduction.

I invite you to take a drive with you and a 100lb friend in your car and go take some turns. Then have your friend get out. If you can't feel a significant difference then this whole conversation is lost on you, and we might as well move on.

Last edited by Krang; 10-27-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM

So your battery is shifting around? It makes no sense to me but than again nothing does on this 3rd world state. If it makes you happy who am I to say different.
can't tell if troll or just really retarded....

go home noob, you're drunk

Quick Reply: Lithium Battery? Local?