just wanna say

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:02 AM

Car Info: 2010 WRX
just wanna say

i got beat by my car again! 2nd time..... some of you may know, the tgv's kicked my **** the last time. i tried everything within my power to make it happen without removing the fuel lines. got the id injectors in though so it wasn't a complete lost! i never figured it out and never looked back. sold the tgv's and i moved on! seems like all the cool stuff on you tube doesn't really apply to a WRX or LGT, but you can find a shyyyyyt load of sti vids. anyways.......

5 hrs later which included a trip to lowes (8mm allen socket), trip to oreillys (17mm crow foot), and hrs of frustration and finger cramps. i put the rear galley/gallery plug back in (3 min job, tops)....

i think it was a sign when i tried to remove the galley plug and i couldn't get leverage to turn key. i snapped it in half when i got the vice grip locked onto it and went to break it loose. off to lowes i went and got a set of allen sockets. funny how you run into these problems and next thing ya know, you add another tool to your collection. went home and got her removed with ease.

i made many attempts to get galley plug in, but nothing worked. my fingers and tools didn't have enough reach to thread it in. that's when my blood started boiling and hand cramps began. before i knew it, an hr had pass. moving lines and trying different angles over and over. was like being super hungry and going to the fridge every 5 minutes thinking something would magically appear! so i attached the sender to gain a half and inch or so.... that worked and after half an hr or so i finally got it in. 1/8 of a turn with an open end and lots of patience, i got her down. again, due to leverage issues, i was not confident of how tight she was. towards the end the wrench started slipping and the nut began to strip.... by then, its like 9pm, i need to go back to google n see what i can do....

when i was online earlier today some dude mentioned no room and a "crows foot". we noobs like to go research stuff before we do it. guy said it was a tight fit and used a crows foot. hrs later i'm back on google and start to find the word crows foot more frequently... well i'll be damned, google crows foot and a ***** trucking tool pops up. that's what you call them things? a trucking crows foot? WTF! googled oriellys, yep they close at 10, i got an hr...

back in the garage with another set of tools i can add to my collection.... oreilly brand, but when the hell am i going to use these again, it only has to do the job once.... even though i only need 17mm and 14mm, i need to buy the whole set because 1) they don't have singles or 2) you can buy 4 singles for the price of a set of 7 which comes with a cool storage rack? it looked a little to big at the store, but i figured it was my only option.... i was right, got home and it was to big, didn't take but 5 minutes of fiddling around to figure that one out...... instead of taking them back to get my money back, i still had hope!

out comes the dremil, these are some cheapo tools, should be able to shave these bad boys down enough to make her fit............................................
after 15-20 min of grinding with a trucking stone cause that's all i had other then a wheel that wore down to quick, she was ready. after 3 more attempts of. "i'll try a little more", i quit out of frustration.

1/8 of an inch and patience and the galley plug and sender was out. 3 minutes later, the original plug was back in

did i have the galley and sender in tight enough? maybe...... maybe not........ what i do know is that the oem plug is tight enough, if i cross threaded it on the way in, i got my fingers crossed. will find out in a day or two. not going to put any of that stuff back together till i get my new dp....
Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
You do know that the intake manifold/tgv bodies come off the engine easily within 30 minutes right?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
It's all one piece dawg.... Just take off the TGV screws.

Your story stressed me out.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by spinplay01
You do know that the intake manifold/tgv bodies come off the engine easily within 30 minutes right?
I couldn't find anything about wrx removal, only sti. Its funny you answered, I think about the name spinplay everytime I get into a jam (no home-o)... most times when I see you, u got mad customers so I dont bother stopping by to get help. Cant bother a dude at work = not cool.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
It's all one piece dawg.... Just take off the TGV screws.

Your story stressed me out.
The tgv's are sold and tuner hasnt really seen any worth while gains for my goals. States they will be benefitial for larger turbo/higher hp builds. Will give the galley plug another shot when my turbo gets here. Doesnt look like it will give me more room, but will make it easier for me to see alot better from pass side. Let me tell you how shotty it is working back there with ur car on ramps being 5'5" tall. Maybe blouch taking forever to build my turbo is a sign?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Car Info: CGM Crumpled Beer Can
wow, sounds like you went through the ringer on that one buddy. Sorry to hear you had so many issues.
As spinplay said, honestly it doesn't take too long, wrx/sti pretty much the same if you note all the placements of the screws if its the first time.
3rd time's the charm
Old 08-20-2014, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by sigterm
wow, sounds like you went through the ringer on that one buddy. Sorry to hear you had so many issues.
As spinplay said, honestly it doesn't take too long, wrx/sti pretty much the same if you note all the placements of the screws if its the first time.
3rd time's the charm
was 2 different issues on 2 different occasions, the opening states about the last (tgv) issue, the remainder of the novel is about a oil temps sensor I was going to put in the rear galley plug. i will prolly just get the damn thing back in there and put it back together. drive it around and recheck it for seal issues
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Originally Posted by moto96793
The tgv's are sold and tuner hasnt really seen any worth while gains for my goals. States they will be benefitial for larger turbo/higher hp builds. Will give the galley plug another shot when my turbo gets here. Doesnt look like it will give me more room, but will make it easier for me to see alot better from pass side. Let me tell you how shotty it is working back there with ur car on ramps being 5'5" tall. Maybe blouch taking forever to build my turbo is a sign?
I should have been more concise; removal of the entire intake manifold is quite simple: uncouple the intake and turbo inlet, undo the 8 (I believe) allen screws holding the manifold (TGV's) to the block and you are good to go.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:38 PM

gave the oil temp sensor/galley plug another shot. put tmic back on and ran it for 15 min. so far so good, need to take it out on a short trip to make sure it doesn't leak. new 2 piece dp didn't line up right with exhaust so I had to cut a small square out of the heatshield where the dp connected to cbe. cant believe txs would put the damn o2 bung there. on top of that, the oem sensor is currently sitting in the precat bung. I need to add another 1-2 feet of wire for it to reach the post cat bung. i'll do it when the wb comes in. anyone else get on the maperformance wideband preorder?