Hit 70,000 miles on my WRX - new clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX
Exclamation Hit 70,000 miles on my WRX - new clutch questions

Aloha!

I joined this forum hoping that I could get some advice from local Subaru owners here in Hawaii. I got my 2007 WRX from Servco and I love the car. Aside from a COBB "stage 1" ECU flash I have not modified the car in any way.

Recently my poor clutch has started to slip and I really don't know how much longer I can drive her without replacing the clutch. My question(s) for the wise forum members here:

Should I even consider doing this myself?
Does it make sense to plan on installing a new flywheel as well?
Is there any reason to use anything other than OEM parts for this?
Are there any other major preventative maintenance tasks at 70,000 miles I should tackle at the same time (belts, gaskets, etc...)

Thank you very much for your consideration

Shawn
Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Sorry, no answers, just more questions here.

I jumped in to post almost the same question - 2002 WRX with a seriously slipping clutch. I've pretty much determined I won't do this myself - I've been able to do most maintenance so far, but I don't have a lift or engine hoist, which seems to be a prereq.

My one additional question - since I won't be tackling this, who should? Any recommended shops for a clutch replacement?

Mahalo!

-Von
Old 08-17-2015, 06:14 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by Thorsey1013
Aloha!

I joined this forum hoping that I could get some advice from local Subaru owners here in Hawaii. I got my 2007 WRX from Servco and I love the car. Aside from a COBB "stage 1" ECU flash I have not modified the car in any way.

Recently my poor clutch has started to slip and I really don't know how much longer I can drive her without replacing the clutch. My question(s) for the wise forum members here:

Should I even consider doing this myself?
Does it make sense to plan on installing a new flywheel as well?
Is there any reason to use anything other than OEM parts for this?
Are there any other major preventative maintenance tasks at 70,000 miles I should tackle at the same time (belts, gaskets, etc...)

Thank you very much for your consideration

Shawn

Aloha and welcome to the forums!

I guess first question is... do you plan on doing any other modifications?

You do not need a lift / engine hoist to do the clutch. So here are some answers to your questions.

- Should you do this yourself? Well it depends, do you have the tools? Are you able to get the trans out of the way? What is the most indepth thing you have done on a car? Its really not that "bad" just very time consuming. I have done it once, and I have taken another car to a member on the forum to be done since I had foot surgery.

- Read up on light weight flywheels and see if its something you want... I recommend resurfacing the stock clutch x2 if you are keeping at current power levels. I had stage 2 clutch w/ a light weight flywheel. It wasn't bad till I had foot surgery, after that it became hard to drive the car. Could it be because of my foot? Probably but it was a noticeable difference. Are you driving in a lot of heavy traffic? Things to think about.

- You can use aftermarket clutches but again read around, ask people with ACT, Exedy, bla bla bla bla bla. Hell ask on here I am sure tons of guys will be more than happy to tell you there experiences.

- If you are in there, knock out the rear main seal and anything else thats easy to get to. Some things I would knock out, trans mount (Group N), shifter bushings ALL OF THEM, transmission brace bushings to name a few things. The bushings are cheap, and make a HUGE difference in feel.

Those are just somethings to think about. Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2007 Subaru WRX
Thanks

Super helpful! I will read through your post again later and consider everything you wrote. The good news is that I have secured funding for the project...about a thousand bucks.

I'm much more interested in doing this work myself with help than taking it to a "shop" so let the planning begin!

Cheers
Shawn
Old 08-19-2015, 10:50 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
Do it yourself. Replace the stock clutch, resurface the OEM flywheel. It takes about 4 hours and a six pack. No special tools required.

1. Jack up the rear end and remove the driveshaft bolts.
2. Do all the underhood stuff. Intercooler, downpipe, clutch pin, top trans bolts.
3. Jack up the front and do all the stuff you can reach from the bottom. Drop the trans on your ballz.

4. Assemble in reverse order. It really isn't hard, just a lot of time on your back.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:38 PM

Car Info: FXT/ 1999 Legacy L /2007 OB/ 71 240z
Originally Posted by Bushflyr
t really isn't hard, just a lot of time on your back.
That's what she said!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:15 PM

Car Info: Bugeye Wagon - VF39'd
Originally Posted by devilzdriver
That's what she said!
No, that's what he said. And she betta have mah money!