Help on getting rid of car odor

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:39 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Help on getting rid of car odor

You guys know anyway of getting rid of a car odor? Ive used my car as a daily driver and go to the gym often and built up a pretty bad odor. Is there anyway of getting rid of it instead of masking it? Thanks
Old 05-24-2016, 08:07 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Sounds like this wasn't recent...if it was wet or recent, sprinkling baking soda on it, wait till it dried, settled in, and then vacuuming it up.

second option, which it sounds like you need, is to get a spray bottle and do spritz a mixture of (at least) 50/50 clear white vinegar/water (or if really bad smell, then use full strength vinegar).

Let it sit slightly and then blot dry with a paper towel.

If the smell was really bad/baked in, then you may need to do a heavier dose of spraying. Just don't SOAK it, but you can be pretty liberal with spraying the vinegar water...the vinegar smell dissipates on its own.

Good luck.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by CHESTON
Sounds like this wasn't recent...if it was wet or recent, sprinkling baking soda on it, wait till it dried, settled in, and then vacuuming it up.

second option, which it sounds like you need, is to get a spray bottle and do spritz a mixture of (at least) 50/50 clear white vinegar/water (or if really bad smell, then use full strength vinegar).

Let it sit slightly and then blot dry with a paper towel.

If the smell was really bad/baked in, then you may need to do a heavier dose of spraying. Just don't SOAK it, but you can be pretty liberal with spraying the vinegar water...the vinegar smell dissipates on its own.

Good luck.
Thank you so much! Im not exactly where the smell is coming from but i will try spray my seats first and check back
Old 05-24-2016, 10:00 PM

Car Info: 1999 Impreza RS (Past), 1993 MR2 (Present)
i heard also you could possibly cut an apple in 1/2 and leave it in your car over night? haha
Old 05-24-2016, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by jdmsick
i heard also you could possibly cut an apple in 1/2 and leave it in your car over night? haha
Ive heard charcoal can soak up odor smells.

Would changing the cabin air filter help with car odor?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:29 PM

Car Info: AW Pig-STI
Originally Posted by stets
Ive heard charcoal can soak up odor smells.

Would changing the cabin air filter help with car odor?
Yes, but if your whole car smells, you'd need a large bag of charcoal (preferred is activated charcoal) to work for the whole car.

For the cabin air filter, did the 04 STi have one? If so, they make activated charcoal cabin filters as well. Cost a few bucks more, but that's what I use as well.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by CHESTON
Yes, but if your whole car smells, you'd need a large bag of charcoal (preferred is activated charcoal) to work for the whole car.

For the cabin air filter, did the 04 STi have one? If so, they make activated charcoal cabin filters as well. Cost a few bucks more, but that's what I use as well.
Ill have to look for the filters but ive seen a youtube of s guy changing is 04 sti filter. I hope the smell is in the filter. But ill spray my seats down aswell
Old 05-26-2016, 04:04 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Cabin air filter for sure, if you haven't changed it yet prepare yourself... I also hit my air filter with some scent so it would circulate itself throughout the car on it's own.

Vinegar would work fine, or you can go straight to shampooing the carpets and seats. You can get do-it-yourself kits at Napa fairly cheaply. I would recommend the kits where you vacuum the residue rather than wipe off, they always felt cleaner afterwards.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by Krang
Cabin air filter for sure, if you haven't changed it yet prepare yourself... I also hit my air filter with some scent so it would circulate itself throughout the car on it's own.

Vinegar would work fine, or you can go straight to shampooing the carpets and seats. You can get do-it-yourself kits at Napa fairly cheaply. I would recommend the kits where you vacuum the residue rather than wipe off, they always felt cleaner afterwards.
Thank you so much! Will try the cabin air filter and vinegar and even the shampooing if i can get a kit for a decent prixe
Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi
I had great success with Ozium air freshener spray. Previous owner of my car was a smoker, I tried cleaning the interior, different sprays, etc... The Ozium stuff completely eliminated the smell after a few applications.

(My first post on this site!)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:48 PM

Car Info: 57 SM 04 STi, 04 Yamaha R6
04 sti has a filter, and I have an extra one sitting in my garage. lol.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by YuudaiSTI
04 sti has a filter, and I have an extra one sitting in my garage. lol.
Do you want to sell it? What kine filter is it? Stock?