AVCS/Timing issue help

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 03:10 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5RS JDM V7 swap
AVCS/Timing issue help

I'm somewhat new to the island and in need of some help with troubleshooting, rather than going the route of just throwing money and parts until it's figured out. I read through some of the earlier threads under the HI region and saw a few of you could possibly give some input/assistance.

I have a GC8 JDM V7 swap. EJ207 heads w/AVCS, VF30 turbo, 3" catless Invidia downpipe, 550CC injectors, upgraded fuel pump, JDM Forrester ECU and still kept the 2.5 bottom end (rebuilt). It was originally tuned with a 4.111 drive train, then destroyed the transmission the day after I got it tuned. Didn't launch, just took off in first gear and punched it after a normal start. Then I ended up switching to a 04 USDM WRX drivetrain 3.900. It was open road tuned in Washington state last fall.

I've been driving it for a couple months since then without any problems. Now it just seems like the timing is way off. It'll hesitate and feel like it's not firing correctly, then suddenly be back in time and then back to off cycle again. I haven't gotten a single code yet. I also pulled the top banjo bolt on the driver side head to check for a filter (after reading/watching other research on how the blow out or clog) and there wasn't a filter in it. Also, it sounds like the fuel pump is moving more gas than it should. I'm burning way more gas and getting a lot ****tier mileage than I should be.

Is there anyone who can hook up to my ECU and check things out or any place/person I can take it to, to get it checked out? Thanks guys.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:36 PM

Car Info: 1995 dodge neon
If you are having a problem with sticking AVCS actuators or something related you should get an over advance or over retard code rather quickly as the cam pos sensors read the intake camshafts themselves and not the pulleys. As soon as they are not within spec for rpm range you would get a code...this is an assumption. I do however know it to be true with mazda variable timing due to experience.

So I would say that you can likely eliminate AVCS related issues.

Put in fresh plugs, check/clean all of your coil connectors, make sure the pins are fully in the clips. Check out your fuel pressure regulator and the vacuum hose to it.

If your fuel pump is suddenly louder than normal, it could simply be crapping out causing your issue.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:10 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
Make sure your NPS signal is correct, if you are getting an incorrect signal for your neutral gear then AVCS will not work at all.

EDIT: the version 7 motors all came with the AVCS filters, so yours is probably stuck down in your actuator somewhere causing these problems. The version 8 motors had a split year, the earlier manufactured dates had the filters and the later ones didn't. I would check your AVCS solenoids and get back to us.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:18 PM

Car Info: 2000 Impreza 2.5RS JDM V7 swap
I pulled the battery last night to get a better look at the coil pack/injectors and whatnot. Noticed the negative cable off the battery was loose further back and heard the metal hit a few things when I moved it. Ended up pulling the intercooler and found that it wasn't even connected. I couldn't find where it had been before for the car to even run correctly for so long like that. But I put it in the right way (through one of the starter bolts) and it almost instantaneously running better. A few hiccups with the timing last night and this morning. Drove home from work like a champ.

The fuel pump still sounds like it's working a little hard, checked vacuum lines and fuel lines, looks normal. I'll keep looking tonight and listening while I drive. Thanks for the help so far guys.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 07 Sti
The grounds in the engine bay are so crucial to having these motors run correctly its not even funny, glad you got it sorted (hopefully).