General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

Cobb stage 1/ stage 2? To cobb or not to cobb?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Car Info: 2006 subaru impreza WRX
Cobb stage 1/ stage 2? To cobb or not to cobb?

So, I'm pretty new to the WRX and turbo society. A Newb. I'm mechanically inclined enough to do my own mod installs for the most part. But I've never tuned a car before. Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section.

I understand the concept of tuning. But I was curious what the difference between stage 1 and stage 2 tuning is? I hear it a lot and I'm sure it's a Newb type question to ask.

Right now I'v got a 06 WRX pretty much stock. I'v got plenty of ideas for what I want to do. But to start off I plan on doing intake, piping, exhaust and tune. Iv already got a COBB cat back and plan on doing Cobb for downpipe and probably up pipe and a K&N typhoon short ram intake. Im planning on doing COBB accessport for the tune as well. Just trying to learn more about it and anything els WRX.

Any tips or words of wisdom would greatly be appreciated!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Bump? Haha. Don't know what it means but I see everyone els going it!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:55 PM

Car Info: 07lmtd 6spd wrx eq tuned
Well since you have an 06 the up-pipe is catless already so no need for that unless you really want it. I did mine when I went with header-back exhaust. As far as AP maps, a down pipe and cat back and flash your accesport to stage2 and you'd have plenty of power. The 2.5 response really well to stg2. Now if you want to do your own custom tuning I'll will say good luck to you on that, I'd personally left my tuning to Ed, but there are plenty of knowledgable tuners here. Good luck
Old 10-12-2012, 05:08 PM

Car Info: WRB 2012 WRX Sedan
I'm running Cobb AP stage 1 map on my 2012 WRX. Tuning with EQ like JAV, it's the best way to get the most out of your mods... Good luck!!
Old 10-12-2012, 05:23 PM

Car Info: 2002 wrx
Stage 2 is downpipe and AP, Also the AP can only use Cobb intake and one other look on Cobbs site for info.The Cobb maps are pretty conservative vs a Tune at a shop if you are aiming at getting every little HP possible.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 AM

Thanks all for the input! It helped a lot. Learn something new every day haha. I'll probably end up going with the COBB intake and go stage two with some other upgrades. Cheers!!
Old 10-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Car Info: 2004 xt
Originally Posted by srbaugust
Thanks all for the input! It helped a lot. Learn something new every day haha. I'll probably end up going with the COBB intake and go stage two with some other upgrades. Cheers!!
You will need a downpipe for stage 2.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM

I used my spt intake when I was stg2.... Worked well, and I have a carb sticker for the fuzz!
Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 AM

I plan on getting a downpipe and intake at the same time then a couple paychecks later I'll get the AP to go along with everything els.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Car Info: 2004 xt
I plan on getting a downpipe and intake at the same time then a couple paychecks later I'll get the AP to go along with everything els.
I'd suggest getting the ap first. It was the best upgrade from stock.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:47 AM

I know it says you can only use Cobb intake. But I have seen other people using other brands of intakes??
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by hellsing

I'd suggest getting the ap first. It was the best upgrade from stock.
That's a good point. I know stock intake isn't terrible so maybe I'll do the AP first then go drop down and intake. Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:43 AM

I know it says you can only use Cobb intake. But I have seen other people using other brands of intakes??
That's a good point. I know stock intake isn't terrible so maybe I'll do the AP first then go drop down and intake. Thanks!
I'm sure any intake works....the air box is perfectly fine, you can always drop in a dry foam filter like the hks one. Works really good
Old 11-18-2012, 12:29 AM

Car Info: 2013 Kia Forte 5
As words of wisdom to you: simply mod everything you can on the car as much money as you want to spend on it. Make sure every mod is stage two meaning clutch stage two engine mapping. stage two turbo stage two in every section. I mean you don't have to quote me on it but if every stage is the same you should have a car that flows very properly in all aspects, street performance,track performance, And then some. It's all up to you on the parts you buy. In my opinion it should be a very reliable car. Whether you mod it or not. It all depends what you want to use it for. Like in rally racing you would want dirt tread tires, a roll cage recommended, a low output turbo for high acceleration for cornering. A remapped ECU set up for high end torque. As I can't stress enough that acceleration. Is very important for cornering as is how efficient the braking,the tires,the suspension, and the weight of the vehicle over all. I would say the difference between. Stage one/stage two. Would have to differ on price on part, labour costs,Where the parts come from,how long it takes to even install the part yourself. How each part makes the car perform on the dyno or on the road. So in other words if you want a super street machine that blows girls panties off in the sure noise or look of the car I would recommend. Stage two in all aspects. Low PSI on the turbo, big engine block that could handle high or low PSI output. Or small block for lower weight,efficiency on gas,or higher torque. If you have anymore questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:32 PM

Car Info: 2012 DGM WRX
i like ap. opensource is a good option. but i say get custom tune when you can get way more power out of your car. and run e85 if you can. it is worth it and best for you engine. i have been into subarus since the late 1990's

Quick Reply: Cobb stage 1/ stage 2? To cobb or not to cobb?