General Tech / How To's / Installations Technical discussions about the USDM 2008+ WRX and WRX STi.

09' Drivers Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 2006 WRX STI
Talking 09' Drivers Roll Call

Thought this should be started since there is little to none 09' representation.

City/State: Mountain View, CA

Model/Color: Impreza WRX GE (Sedan) Dark Grey Metallic

Mods:
SPT Catback Exhaust 4-door
STI Short Shifter 5-spd
Kartboy Shifter Bushings Frt & Rear
Group N Transmission Mount
Group N Pitch Stop
Whiteline Tranny Subframe Bushings
Shiggy EcuTek Tune
Cusco Zero 2E Coilovers
Custom Coilover Tune by AHQ
Cusco Rear Swaybar
Whiteline Swaybar Mount Brace
Whiteline Bumpsteer Kit
SPT Front Strut Bar
18x8 Rota Formula Mesh Silver
245/40 Potenza 960AS Pole Position
De-badged
Chrome Trunk Strip Delete
OEM Fogs
OEM Upper Tweeter
Perrin Shorty 3" Antenna
Autometer Boost Gauge
Red Dome and Trunk Light
6000K HID Conversion H11
6000K HID Conversion 9006
PIAA Ultra White Reverse, and Plate Lights
Silvania Silverstar Ultra Highs
Silvania Silverstar Turn Signals
Sun Visor Sticker Delete
4% Tint All, Light Tint Front
DGM Emblems

Mods Coming Soon:

23mm Cusco Front Sway
Cusco Rear Strut Bar
Project Mu Pads and Rotors
Project Mu Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Clutch Stainless Line
Motul RBF 600
17x? Forged Rims
245/35 Bridgestone Potenza RE-11s
TPMS Sensors
J-Speed Control Arm Bushings
Pink Hella Horns
Alpine Navi
Infinity Component Front and Rear Speakers / Amp
JL Audio W6v2 w/ Class D Mono (pending)
Momo 4-Point Harnesses
Subaru Sport Mesh Grill
Subaru Front Lip
Defi Boost Gauge
Tomei Headers Equal Length, Uppipe, Downpipe
Turbo Inlet
Blitz Intake Kit
JDM Top Mount
Power Enterprise Injectors
Boss Fuel Pump
Shiggy EcuTek ReTune
Subaru JDM Rear Bumber
Carbon Hood, Doors, Trunk

09' Info:

Cherry Hill, NJ--Subaru is revving up performance and handling in its iconic All-Wheel Drive Impreza WRX sport compact for 2009, following the debut of the all-new model in 2008. Performance leaps to a higher level in the 2009 WRX thanks to a 265 horsepower turbocharged intercooled Boxer engine, retuned suspension and wider, lower-profile summer performance tires. WRX enthusiasts will quickly identify the 2009 models by the ST-type grille and standard Aero Package. The 2009 Impreza WRX comes with a 5-speed manual transmission.

New Impreza GT Model
Subaru is also introducing a new Impreza 2.5GT model for 2009, powered by a 224-horsepower turbocharged intercooled engine teamed to a standard 4-speed electronically controlled automatic transmission with SPORTSHIFT.

Both the more powerful WRX and the new 2.5GT are available as 4-Door and 5-Door models. As on all Subaru models, the Impreza WRX and 2.5GT models are equipped with Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive (two different versions – see page 2 for details.)

The goal of the 2009 WRX team was termed "Kyo-Ka" (translated from Japanese as "strengthening"). To achieve this goal Subaru engineers thoroughly revamped the performance character of the WRX for 2009. Gaining a larger turbocharger, along with a new larger-diameter exhaust and low-density catalyst for reduced backpressure, the WRX engine now produces 265 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 244 lb.-ft. of peak torque at 4,000 rpm – significant increases from the 224 horsepower and 226 lb.-ft. in the 2008 version.

The Impreza WRX debuted an all-new platform for the 2008 model year, featuring a longer 103.1-inch wheelbase and an all-new double-wishbone rear suspension system. Revised suspension tuning for 2009 further bolsters WRX's street performance credentials. The standard 17 x 7-inch aluminum alloy wheels now wear 225/45R17 summer performance tires, compared to 205/50R17 all-season tires used on the 2008 WRX. The Vehicle Dynamics Control (VDC) stability and traction control system, which is standard on all Impreza models for 2009, helps to enhance the WRX model's road handling safety.

Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive
Standard Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive, which forms the common core technology on all Subaru models, gives the Impreza WRX a significant handling performance advantage over front-wheel drive competitors. Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive is a complete system comprised of the Boxer engine and the full-time power distribution system (varies by model and transmission). The aluminum Boxer engine and simple, symmetrical drivetrain layout help to lower the car's center of gravity, which in turn contributes to its handling characteristics.

The 2009 Impreza WRX employs a viscous coupling locking center differential that distributes torque 50:50 front/rear. Should slippage occur, this system transfers more power to the wheels with the best traction. The 2009 Impreza 2.5GT, like other Subaru models equipped with automatic transmission, uses a different version of the Symmetrical All-Wheel Drive system. An electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch actively manages power distribution based on acceleration, deceleration, and available traction. This active torque-split system automatically transfers more power to the wheels with the best grip should slippage occur.

Suspension Re-Tuned For Sharper Handling
Subaru significantly re-tuned the suspension on the 2009 WRX, resulting in sharper turn-in and more responsive handling overall. Front upper strut mounts are adopted from the STI. The front spring rate is increased from 26.5 N/mm to 38 N/mm, and the rear spring rate is increased from 24 N/mm to 34 N/mm. Diameter of the stabilizer bars is also increased, from 20 mm to 21 mm in front and from 15 mm to 16 mm in the rear. Suspension damping has also been re-tuned. Notably, the new, stiffer suspension tuning did not require any further reinforcement of the inherently strong Impreza body structure.
Because the wider tires used on the 2009 WRX give more kickback than those on the 2008 model, a new damper valve was added to the steering gearbox to ensure a smooth and high quality steering feeling.

The Impreza WRX chassis is designed for improved rigidity and ride comfort and employs high-tension steel at key structural points. In addition to providing a basis for more responsive handling, the double-wishbone rear suspension that debuted in the new-generation Impreza models enables a smooth ride quality as well as decreased road noise for a quieter cabin.

The new-generation design results in a lower overall weight for the body while the longer wheelbase allows for improved ride dynamics, more interior room and reduced levels of noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH). In addition, the new chassis improves crash-worthiness and provides a stiffer platform for crisper handling.

Placing the engine slightly lower in the chassis than in the previous-generation Impreza models helped lower the center of gravity in the new Impreza platform, enhancing steering response. With the Subaru Dynamic Chassis Control Concept (DC3), Subaru optimized all elements of the Impreza's chassis to deliver a better balance of handling response, ride quality, quietness and overall traction performance than offered by competitive vehicles. (See "Performance" section of this press kit for further details.)

New WRX Aero Body Styling
On both 2009 WRX Sedan and 5-Door models, a new STI-type grille carries the WRX badge. Both models get a sharpened new look from the standard Aero Package, which was formerly part of the optional WRX Premium Package. Both body styles also feature front and rear under-bumper spoilers and aerodynamic side ground effects. The sedan has a low-profile rear trunk spoiler, while the 5-Door adopts the WRX STI rear spoiler and a rear diffuser. The rear garnish panel between the light clusters is body color on the 5-Door and chrome on the sedan.

Other distinctions between the two models continue as before, including clear rear tail lamp lenses for the 5-Door and red lenses on the sedan. The 4-Door features dual tailpipe outlets, while the 5-Door uses a single, larger outlet (stainless steel on Premium Package.)

Rally-Inspired Interior
The WRX interior introduced new comfort and spaciousness for 2008, and for 2009 it gains new WRX-exclusive carbon black checkered upholstery accented by red stitching. The standard tilt and telescoping leather-wrapped steering wheel is accented by red stitching and standard aluminum-alloy pedal covers now include the driver's footrest.

Name:  suby005.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  80.2 KB

Last edited by ScoobySon; 07-31-2009 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:16 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX 08
Clean! Hey you got a pic of your headlights at night?? I was thinking about picking up the same ones. Did you get the ballast as well?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:43 PM

Car Info: black 06 wrx
forget the strut bars, get sways instead, rear first if you cant get both
Old 02-17-2009, 09:42 AM

Car Info: 09' WRX Hatch
09 WRX Hatch here. Dark Grey Metallic.

Mods so far:
All Weather Floor Mats
Rear Cargo Tray

Mods coming up:
AP 2.0

I'm a poor college student.

Still haven't gotten around to taking any good photos. Damn rain!
-Kevin
Old 02-28-2009, 08:18 PM

Here is an update. Since the last post I got Tint, Swift Springs, Mud Flaps, and 18" Rotas. I'll get a headlight shot later tonight.

Name:  Picture008.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  77.5 KB
Name:  Picture006.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 03-01-2009, 10:57 PM

Car Info: 09' WRX Hatch
What tint did you go with? Still not sure what % to go.

-Kevin
Old 03-03-2009, 02:51 AM

4% rear, 32% front, 5" strip on the windshield
Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Here is a motor shot.

Name:  Picture003.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  211.4 KB
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 PM

Car Info: 05 wrb wrx wagon
nice color choice, both of ya'll.
i'm currently driving around an 08 white wrx hatch.
mods so far:
invidia N1 cat-back
red hazard button (adds 5hp!)
prodrive battery tie down & oil cap (handed down from my previous 2 subies)
and a lathewerks shift **** (www.lathewerks.com) which is freaking sweet.

here's a pic from back when there was only 13 miles on the clock
http://www.flickr.com/photos/citylig...7604703799860/

Last edited by mokeOne; 06-11-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:51 AM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX
City/State: Rohnert Park, CA but moving to SoCal

Model/Color: Impreza WRX (Sedan) Silver Metallic

Mods:
*Completely stock (for now)

Mods Coming Soon:
*Nothing soon

This is my first manual car and I admit it, I'm still learning on it, I figure I'll drive it for a few months and learn how it feels before I change it. I just got it last week, and have been looking for every excuse to go driving some where.

Last edited by cadamsWRX; 06-17-2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Car Info: 2009 subaru wrx
I I have Spark Silver 2009 WRX wagon..no mods yet, but will be picking up the new Subaru boost gauge they just released. Next mod will be looking at the Cobb Tuning programmer. Anybody have an '09 with a Cobb installed yet?
Old 06-17-2009, 04:00 AM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
whatsup with the 09 only? what about us 08s? haha if any of you wanna sell your hood later on let me know :-D
Old 06-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Car Info: 2009 Subaru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by imprezachiang
whatsup with the 09 only? what about us 08s? haha if any of you wanna sell your hood later on let me know :-D
I almost got an 08, It would have been a few grand cheaper and I would have gotten the premium model, but the 09 has the larger turbo, stiffer springs and shocks, summer preformance tires, all around a sportier feel to it, and I didn't want to be kicking myself a few months down the line for picking the wrong car (I am sure most of those parts will eventually be replaced by aftermarket, but it will save me some money initially).
Old 06-18-2009, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by imprezachiang
Bcause there is an 08 only thread.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 PM

Car Info: 05 OBP LGT LTD. Sedan
really thats weird, i can never seem to find it.

Quick Reply: 09' Drivers Roll Call