Engine/Power - non turbo (All non turbo Imprezas) Who needs a turbo when you have 2500cc? Cams, intakes, exhausts, etc. The 2.2L and 1.8L Subies are cool too.

Turbo on a 2.5?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
AVO have a website?
Old 01-28-2003, 06:21 PM

None of that stuff would be required for 6 psi of bost, but I can't think of any good reasons not to buy all that.
Old 01-29-2003, 11:14 PM

Rallitek sent me an email after I asked them to list the components of their kit. They basically said, 'it's a Garrett ball bearing turbo, and AVO manufactures the rest in-house.' Not the answer I was looking for. Tom at Ludespeed hasn't gotten back to me yet, but I asked him more specific questions about his components and gave more info about what I wanted to do. Also, I don't think he will be ansering email until March... the order date for RS kits got pushed back til then. Still considering whether to ask Forced Air Tech for a parts list. Also, once I get around to actually dropping 5k on the engine, I will bug Shiv at Vishnu for a while too. I imagine there are 10 members among the 4,300+ around here who could come up with the cash for a new run of RS kits.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:05 PM

My e-mail to Rallitek-

> Would it be possible for me to get a detailed list of the components
> used in the kit? It is only described in general terms on the
> website, and I'd like to know exactly what brands and models each of
> the major components are. Thanks in advance! Kevin

response from Sean-

Kevin ,
The general description lists all parts. The kit uses Link ecu and all
components are manufactured by AVO. THe turbo bearing is bought from Garrett.
The intercooler/turbo/pipes/fittings/blow off valve..... all built by AVO in
Australia. I hope that has helped.

As you can see I did ask a specific question. I was hoping to be told that model X blow-off valve from Company A, model Y turbo with XX trim, model Z intercooler sized 00x00x0 from Company B, etc. I was already convinced that the kit was high-quality, and well sorted out by R&D. I also know that I am knowledgeable enough about motors, and dumb enough to want to go faster, that 6 psi won't be enough for long. I intend to run ~10 psi, and therefore I wanted to know what exact capabilities each component of each kit has so I know what needs to be replaced or upgraded when I reach that point. Because of that, Ludespeed has a head start on receiving my hard-earned $4,500 because Tom is already offering a 9.6 psi wastegate spring which I presume he has tested and researched with his kits to some degree. Of course, AVO and PDM could do the same. I'm simply not pleased with the fact my question wasn't given enough thought to be answered properly the first time. Not only was the content of his reply already available on their website, I myself stated this in my e-mail. Also, I am still not ruling them out, they may indeed make the best kit for my intentions. But it's the other guys' turn to convince me first.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
Check with I-Speed, they do installs on turbo kits in the older RSs. They can tell you what is require and how much you will be spending on the project.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:38 AM

Originally posted by ImprezaRSDriver
Check with I-Speed, they do installs on turbo kits in the older RSs. They can tell you what is require and how much you will be spending on the project.
Are they offering kits now? I knew they did installs, but I was planning on doing it myself and then going to Bill for fine-tuning. Much goodness from them, according to their 10 psi dyno chart!
Old 02-01-2003, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 13BRZ, 11FXT, 08T25, 07STI, 02WRX
They do NOT offer kits, but they will do a really good install. But they can tell you what you are looking at spending for a RS-T
Old 02-01-2003, 10:13 PM

Originally posted by RalliTeK
What kind of specifics do you want?
Which Garrett turbo? What compressor sizing? Etc. What size is the intercooler? Will it fit under my generic strut brace? Other strut braces you know of? Is it sufficient for higher boost levels? Does the kit have a divorced or integrated wastegate? Do I have to get the highflow cat or can I keep the stock (meaning do your down pipes and cat connect the exact same way as stock)? Are you including plugs/ wires? If so, which ones? Will your up-pipe work with aftermarket headers, particularly TWE? At 6psi, what is stock injector duty cycle at redline? 8 psi? 10? 14? How much larger should I run at 10 psi? Do you include a fuel pump and return line mod with the kit in question? Is the air filter a foam type or K&N/AMSOIL type? Is it drawing air from the fender or next to the head? Manual or electronic boost controller, or is it integrated with the Link? Which LINK are you including (as I understand it there are 3 different ECUs from them)? Are you including the necessary cable to laptop-tune it? Do you offer tuning support beyond the pre-supplied map (which is much appreciated)?

Those are my specific component questions. Of course some if this info may not be easily posted on a message board, and some of it may even be proprietary and you don't want to publicize it at all, which would be understandable. But I am not the typical kid tuner who just wants to know how much boost, peak horsepower, and how loud the blow-off valve is, and I felt as though I was treated as such. Your presence in this thread has done much to mitigate that, however. Thanks for showing up to defend your honor.

If you want 10 psi then you will have to do upgraded fuel pump, injectors and maybe even some internals would be in order, but if your going to run 10 you might as well run 14.
Yes, I know. I am obsessive/compulsive about controlling A/F and knock in a boosted motor. But I say 10 psi because I believe that is the max I can run, with the way I drive, without upgrading internals or drivetrain. I can't afford either and am not yet willing to do those. So 10 it is, with a better clutch and proper mechanical empathy for my less-than-ideal transmission. With the 91-octane hamster pee I will be running, I firmly believe that 250 wheel hp can safely be had at that level of tune. If not, I'm wrong, which leads me to this-

The kit is a good starting point for those higher boost levels, but then you will be tuning and designing it yourself and that defeats the purpose of buying a kit that is NOT going to blow up your engine.
To be brutally honest, if I wanted someone else to tell me precisely what my turbo motor should be comprised of, I'd save myself a lot of time, effort, and probably money by just getting a WRX. But that's not my goal- I want a very specific, individual car. I am aiming for a car that has minimal boost @ 3000 rpm to save gas mileage, but doesn't lag above that. Piece of cake, right? I know that your kit, among others on a short list of maybe 3-5, is very high quality, well sorted, and as reliable as any OEM turbo engine. And, in order to ensure this, each of you markets low-boost, mildly tuned, very safe engines. Any of these kits are a good starting point for my project- hence my interest. However, I am confident enough in my abilities, and yours, that I believe I can push your kit a little harder, but also humble enough to know it will be my fault, not yours, if I break it. Besides, I'm turbocharging a car that didn't have one when I bought it- I feel obligated to break something in the process. I wouldn't toss my 6 psi spring back in and start flaming you on message boards afterwards for not giving me free repairs.

Next time ask the right questions. Your questions were the equvalant of asking who makes Chevy parts.
I still think my questions were sufficient enough to warrant a more complete answer than I was initially given. Asking for individual component lists should have, at the least, prompted you to ask me why I was interested instead of pointing me to the website. However, since we're discussing it here and now, and it's only 3 days later, I am satisfied with the response. I was never implying that your service was BAD, just that in the incredibly competitive world of the RS-T, I felt as if I were not important enough to be worth the effort to satisfy. All's well that ends well though. This is the part where you dazzle us all with a show of engineering prowess that will prove beyond a shadow of a doubt the superiority of AVO.

Quick Reply: Turbo on a 2.5?